Academics and BA

rollredroll

WesVols, I am giving you a good mark, if for anything your thoroughness, both on this and other posts. I also appreciate your good faith effort in addressing the situation.

With all due respect, I can't get my arms around the "we're just being humble" theory. I definitely support the school's commitment to religion and hope that all students there are committed to living by the religious direction they are receiving. As for the "humble" side: it would be one thing if BA had the only 100% graduation rate in town and they were declining to publish that statistic so as not to throw that in the face of the other private schools. However, the majority of private schools who published their graduation rates had 100% rates, so if BA published its 100% rate, it certainly would not have stood out in the crowd as a school being "not humble"; i.e., it would have been the rule more than the exception. Most schools are going to have 100% graduation rates; if a school deems a student unworthy of graduating, that student will be booted long before his/her senior year (the survey indicated that the rates were based on the number of students enrolled at the beginning of their senior years). As for SAT/ACT scores, first of all, WesVols, great scores. I am not surprised that someone at BA has scores that high, and I am not surprised to read that at least one student has higher scores. However, there are average scores for the school, and they have not been published. This is not an issue of who has the best and worst rates and scores; this is an issue of being forthcoming and open. Some school is going to have the best scores, some school is going to have the worst, and every other school will be in between them. Parents have a good sense of how their children perform academically, and the listing of rates and scores can give them an indication of which private schools would be feasible for them to apply to on behalf of their children. However, how can a parent make a decision about a school when there is no barometer by which to deem appropriateness or suitability?

Please allow me to digress for a moment. If you look at the business world, today was the deadline for all companies with a certain threshold of revenues to certify their financial statements with the SEC. The CEO and CFO of each company effectively had to sign off on all of the company's financial statements and say that they stand behind the numbers. As the news comes out of who signed and who didn't, we will see the repercussions in the markets. Those companies whose officers signed off will not have their stocks affected by the certification (i.e., they will be valued by Wall Street on their operating merits alone); however, those companies whose officers do not sign on the dotted line will likely see a negative impact on their stock prices, regardless of business conditions. Wall Street and investors will not have faith in those companies who don't have faith in themselves and will sell down the stocks accordingly. I think this situation is somewhat parallel to these data tables I referred to in the NBJ. Those schools that don't report their data generally are going to be looked down upon by those people who look at such data. If a school is not willing to stand behind and publish/promote what it produces academically, how can it expect prospective parents, or even the casual observer, to put even an equal amount of faith in that school?

WesVols, if the school is being "humble" in not reporting the data, so be it. However, I would offer that, in many people's minds, the school is not being perceived as humble and benevolent by declining to provide data; it is being seen as something less flattering.

Ego, I agree: no school is perfect, including the one I support. The issues I could tell you! As far as MUS is concerned, I am surprised that they didn't provide the college acceptance information. However, in the school's defense (and you respectfully do defend MUS in your other comments), it is very forthcoming on its website in publishing its academic data. Speaking of that website, here is a blurb from it (this should get the public school supporters all up in arms!):

"Based on final ranking, the Class of 2002 had 90 graduates attending 45 different colleges and universities in 22 states and Scotland. In the class, 60% received merit, leadership, athletic, or military scholarships (not including need-based grants or financial aid)."

There is something about the implication of an "athletic" scholarship that may bring out the nasty "R" word to some, don't you think?

[Edited by rollredroll on 8-14-02 10:05P]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rollred, I don't know if you are talking about the athletic situation at MUS or not...but if you are, I know two gentleman who were granted athletic football scholarships at MUS to play college football. One of which, has parents who are very prominent in the Memphis area, and I have no doubt they could afford to send their son there, he might have gotten a scholarship, but it wasn't a need based scholarship.

I have seen the other at a personal trainer which costs around 45 dollars a session. Obviously if the man has graduated someone besides the school would pick it up. Both Gentleman seemed nice off the field, and I highly doubt they were recruited, I know a big defensive tackle for them, and I believe his dad is a doctor, so I doubt he has been recruited to go there.

Posted by TheEgoHasLanded:

Rollred, I don't know if you are talking about the athletic situation at MUS or not...but if you are, I know two gentleman who were granted athletic football scholarships at MUS to play college football. One of which, has parents who are very prominent in the Memphis area, and I have no doubt they could afford to send their son there, he might have gotten a scholarship, but it wasn't a need based scholarship.

My mistake. I misinterpreted the information. The blurb referenced MUS students who received college athletic scholarships, not high school athletic scholarships. My apologies - no harm intended.

I agree with the business parallel, rollredroll. Especially since we are discusssing private schools. Not to mention the fact that this was in the Nashville BUSINESS Journal!

I AM trying to keep an open mind concerning BA(WesVols did a great job with his last post).

I must say I feel compelled to apologize to BA(and other schools) for negative remarks I have made in the past. I realize how hurtful it can be when someone else posts negative comments about your school( see Gallatin Football thread).

So I'll just end by saying that I'll try to do better and that I want to enjoy this site as much as I enjoy the football season.

• 1 month later...
Guest BAEagles

I must have been mistaken, I thought this was a sports message board. Well, I guess when MBA's football program starts heading south, their comments about other people's schools obviously follow. Wow, that certainly shows MBA's display of class, and total lack of arrogance and stupidity. For if Montgomery Bell Academy fans would actually get off their pedestal of self-professed academic superiority, they would realize that Brentwood Academy's academic/college advisor resigned last year. Thus all those precious academic stats that MBA covets were not submitted (the replacement was hired this summer). Anything to take fans' attention off the fact that MBA's football program is inevitable a sinking ship that Ricky foresaw and dove out of on purpose last year. And you ask "What is Brentwood Academy trying to hide?" My response: absolutely nothing, especially not the magazine that ranked our football team 21st in the nation last month. While it may not totally appease the arrogant masses down on west end, it should remain more pertinent on this message board. I don't know every score from each of the 64 of my classmates, but I graduated last year with a 1400 on the SAT - and yes, I played football too. Although I feel that my high school prepared me very well academically, I more highly value its emphasis on character and class - maybe I'm crazy, but more important than some SAT scores anyway. So please get your facts strait, BA has nothing to hide. Meanwhile, try to win a division game or two this year.

Chill out, guys. Don't be so defensive. BA does have some quirky ideas about what constitutes boasting and what doesn't. The reason that ACT/SAT scores and other academic "accomplishments" are not published has to do with the school's philosophy that the school experience is about more than just academics. I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning, nor do I think it's consistently applied, but that IS the reason.

BA is a very good academic school, and has a mission to prepare young men and women of "above average" and "average" academic abilities for college. They do not admit anyone who does not have the capacity to attend college. They also believe in emphasizing a well rounded person. That's what the school is about, and one reason that many parents choose to send their children there instead of other schools. MBA is a great institution, and academically stronger than BA. That's their mission, and the reason many parents choose to send their children there instead of other schools.

Certainly many of the kids going to BA could also do very well academically at MBA, and vice-versa. That's not the point. I think Rollred's comments that a school is first, foremost and always about academics is indicative. Parents who send their kids to MBA believe that. No issue with that at all. BA believes more in the triangle philosophy of mind, body, spirit. Not saying one is better than the other...just a different philosophy and a different experience. There are several families who have kids going to both places, depending on their needs and interests.

Let's respect each other for what we are. It's got nothing to do with who beat whom in football this year.

Posted by BAEagles:

I must have been mistaken, I thought this was a sports message board. Well, I guess when MBA's football program starts heading south, their comments about other people's schools obviously follow. Wow, that certainly shows MBA's display of class, and total lack of arrogance and stupidity. For if Montgomery Bell Academy fans would actually get off their pedestal of self-professed academic superiority, they would realize that Brentwood Academy's academic/college advisor resigned last year. Thus all those precious academic stats that MBA covets were not submitted (the replacement was hired this summer). Anything to take fans' attention off the fact that MBA's football program is inevitable a sinking ship that Ricky foresaw and dove out of on purpose last year. And you ask "What is Brentwood Academy trying to hide?" My response: absolutely nothing, especially not the magazine that ranked our football team 21st in the nation last month. While it may not totally appease the arrogant masses down on west end, it should remain more pertinent on this message board. I don't know every score from each of the 64 of my classmates, but I graduated last year with a 1400 on the SAT - and yes, I played football too. Although I feel that my high school prepared me very well academically, I more highly value its emphasis on character and class - maybe I'm crazy, but more important than some SAT scores anyway. So please get your facts strait, BA has nothing to hide. Meanwhile, try to win a division game or two this year.

Thanks for responding. I think your responses not only adequately address the absence of the data but also enlighten us all regarding the "character and class" you were taught in high school (your posts on the BA/Harding thread on the Football Board - particularly your use of the word "rape" - are great examples, too).

Posted by itzme:

Chill out, guys. Don't be so defensive. BA does have some quirky ideas about what constitutes boasting and what doesn't. The reason that ACT/SAT scores and other academic "accomplishments" are not published has to do with the school's philosophy that the school experience is about more than just academics. I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning, nor do I think it's consistently applied, but that IS the reason.

BA is a very good academic school, and has a mission to prepare young men and women of "above average" and "average" academic abilities for college. They do not admit anyone who does not have the capacity to attend college. They also believe in emphasizing a well rounded person. That's what the school is about, and one reason that many parents choose to send their children there instead of other schools. MBA is a great institution, and academically stronger than BA. That's their mission, and the reason many parents choose to send their children there instead of other schools.

Certainly many of the kids going to BA could also do very well academically at MBA, and vice-versa. That's not the point. I think Rollred's comments that a school is first, foremost and always about academics is indicative. Parents who send their kids to MBA believe that. No issue with that at all. BA believes more in the triangle philosophy of mind, body, spirit. Not saying one is better than the other...just a different philosophy and a different experience. There are several families who have kids going to both places, depending on their needs and interests.

Let's respect each other for what we are. It's got nothing to do with who beat whom in football this year.

itzme, you obviously are an example of character and class. I support and agree with your responses. WesVols does a great job of being diplomatic in his responses, too. BAEagles, respond to me as you wish, but before you post, don't forget that more people are going to remember your displays of "character and class" than itzme's and WesVols's displays of true character and class when they form their opinions.

To all interested, you will note that nowhere on this thread have I tried to compare BA to one particular school (including the one I support). I have asked why the data were not made available, and a couple of supporters have provided answers, albeit different ones, as to the reasons why. If BAEagles's response is correct, I am sure BA will have the information made available next year, and those people who use that data to make educational decisions will appreciate having access to the data.

Yes, this is a sports board, but we only are able to talk about sports because of the presence of the school. The high school can exist without high school sports, but high school sports cannot exist without the high school.

Posted by panfan:

the fact of the matter is BA has never been and will never be a school that cares about academics. all Darth Vader worries about are trophies in his case. That is just my opinion, but I think the situation presented in this thread is PLENTY of evidence to support the theory.

I don't know who you are, what school you support, or what axe you have to grind, but please, save your rants for something you might conceivably have a shred of knowledge about, if such a subject exists.

Rollred talked about the article well before MBA started playing games and he would not point out the BA thing because his school was losing, because his school hadn't lost at the time!...remember MBA won their first game of the year...so your point is wrong BAeagles, better luck next time. I also don't think talking crap about MBA is a great thing, considering they have won the majority of the games over the last 3 or 4 years.