Unaka basketball coach

screenandroll

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes this is true but who they'll get to replace him will be a hard decision. And of what i heard they were caught practicing while basketball was in the dead period over the summer

Sure this is a violation but is it worth getting let go for? Sounds like more going on. Have you heard any names mentioned for the job? Seems like a good job, unless there is more going on.

It should be readily understood that, a coach can be dismissed for any reason.

Or no reason at all.

As to Kenneth Chambers' forced resignation:

There was no activity during dead week.

There was, however, an issue raised as to whether "instruction" was taking place during a conditioning-only period. On the date in question, there were approximately thirty athletes in the gymnasium, to include the approximately fifteen high school female team members, where as the rule states, the head coach should be in attendance ...for supervisory purposes.

In this case, there were several high school boys on the court; there were also several elementary players there as well; plus, of course, the high school girls players. During a scrimmage, one of the elementary students directed a question to Coach Chambers, to which he responded.

When viewed on the school surveilance film, this incident could have been interpreted as giving instruction.

Or not.

Everyone is free to make what we want of that.

There was also some concern about the practice of allowing elementary players to attend summer clinics with the high school team, even though the elementary players were under the direct supervision of the elementary coaching staff. It's only fair to Coach Chambers to point out that, this is not a practice exclusive to him, or to the girls basketball program.

Many coaches can attest to the very delicate balance - - that of "supervising," especially when others are in the gym. Those who viewed the film, as well as those of us who were in the gym, would be hard-pressed to demonstrate any expected, or unfair advantage that having such a mix of students in the gym could possibly offer.

Hence, the coach would be well advised to have ONLY team members in attendance, which leads to the question of whether all others can be legally shut out.

For his part, Coach Chambers contacted the TSSAA on multiple occasions for clarity. He was advised that having elementary students with the high school team could present the "appearance" of recruiting, and that the practice should be stopped.

So, it isn't such a stretch to suggest that, there was much more to this than the appearance of instruction.

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

________________________________________________________________________________

_________

Wes Wright is the new coach at Unaka.

And (I think) Larry Bowling and Lacey Oliver are the assistants.

Ken is a class act, a great coach, and someone I call a friend. I and others question the validity of the allegations against him. Keep in mind that Ken is a teacher at the elementary school as well as a coach at the high school. Instructing an elementary school child in how to dribble, when she is still trying to use both hands, does not represent an advantage to the high school basketball program. Allegations of recruiting are also asinine. The Hunter school feeds directly into Unaka High School anyway.

Terminating the coach of a successful ladies basketball program when the football team is 0-for on the season smacks of politics and personalities. Not sound sports program management.

I didn't think the railroad still ran on Stoney Creek. I was apparently mistaken.

Coach Chambers will end up elsewhere, and Carter County will have lost a good basketball coach, and a very good teacher.

The Highlander

Ken is a class act, a great coach, and someone I call a friend. I and others question the validity of the allegations against him. Keep in mind that Ken is a teacher at the elementary school as well as a coach at the high school. Instructing an elementary school child in how to dribble, when she is still trying to use both hands, does not represent an advantage to the high school basketball program. Allegations of recruiting are also asinine. The Hunter school feeds directly into Unaka High School anyway.

Terminating the coach of a successful ladies basketball program when the football team is 0-for on the season smacks of politics and personalities. Not sound sports program management.

I didn't think the railroad still ran on Stoney Creek. I was apparently mistaken.

Coach Chambers will end up elsewhere, and Carter County will have lost a good basketball coach, and a very good teacher.

The Highlander

I'm simply too emotionally attached to say much for now, other than that, especially considering all the other factors, I'm extremely disappointed with the decision.

The players gathered to protest the decision to the school Principal, and desired to approach the Superintendent

with their complaints. I'm not aware of the exact reactions/comments, if any, from either.

Coach Chambers simply said that he wished only the very best to the players.

But you're right: There's much more to this most-unfortunate situation.

I'm simply too emotionally attached to say much for now, other than that, especially considering all the other factors, I'm extremely disappointed with the decision.

The players gathered to protest the decision to the school Principal, and desired to approach the Superintendent

with their complaints. I'm not aware of the exact reactions/comments, if any, from either.

Coach Chambers simply said that he wished only the very best to the players.

But you're right: There's much more to this most-unfortunate situation.

ANY TRUTH TO COACH CHAMBERS MAY GO HELP MATT BIRCHFIELD AT CLOUDLAND?

Krich, I should have known you would know the answer to this question. I should have asked you directly. Thanks for your input. I have heard things were not going well for Coach Chambers on the creek for a few years. You know as well as I do if someone with any political pull wants you out it's just a matter of time. I thought with the change in board members this issue might die down. Guess not. If a select few were against Coach Chambers it is probably better for him to not be in that situation. Not good to be looking over your shoulder all the time. Don't know much about Coach Wright. Has he been in the program or is he someone new? Can't believe Coach Bowling would get back in. Didn't they do the same thing to him a few years ago? Guess he's a better man than me. Would have told them what they could do with the job. In the long run Coach Chambers will be better off than staying there. Probably better he leave now than later when they probably would have tried to tie something really damaging to him. And they watched a security tape to get all this? Guess they'll be a lot of Coaches cutting off the cameras or at least putting some tape over them now or they could somehow get turned to watching the wall I guess.....Good luck to Coach Chambers. Just time will tell if Unaka gets what they ask for. It's sad this has to happen at this time of the year when practice is getting ready to start. Feel sorry for the players. If this happened during the dead period why wait until now? Good timing by Carter County again. It's a wonder Carter County can get anyone to coach at all. Look forward for more imput from you, krich. Let us know what direction you think the program will go in. Sure all the other single A schools are happy with this decision. Nothing against Coach Wright, just the time frame of it. Sure he will try to do the best job he can. Just wondering if he will have to keep his head turned behind him to see who or whats coming also.

Matt Birchfield and Kenneth Chambers have very high opinions of each other. Of course

this speaks to their coaching abilities; but just as noteworthy, for their mutually respectful

friendship. The two of them, and North Greene head coach James Buchanan, often travel

together to scout other Districts/Regions. They, along with Hampton coach, Leon Tolley,

will sit together for a meal, often just minutes after a very tense elimination game. Some

very classy guys.

There have been more than just water-cooler conversations about such an arragement.

Whether it's feasible to work something out now would probably have to be approved at

the Superintendent's office. Though intriguing, a very big IF.

Really couldn't see this happening. Not unless Coach Chambers transferred to work at Cloudland. If he did this and was still at Hunter I think that would be a big mistake. Could even cost him his job. You know the people of Carter County. The powers to be wouldn't look at this as a good move. Again only if he transferred to Cloudland would this be possible. And besides good friends don't always make good coaching staffs, especially when they both would be used to calling the shots. Watching the teams play I would tend to think they had different philosophies. Both have been successful doing it their way. Sounds like a good thing but not sure if it would really be a good move for either of them.