Unaka basketball coach

screenandroll

Hey telsea,

Why don't you consider running for school board to put your anger to work for what seems like a "personal" interest for Chambers? I don't think the rules/regulations for this position are as strict as that of the Baptist Church Covenant! LOL Go for it!

-- No personal interest here. I hate to see anyone get railroaded. If you are not convinced that this happened then consider this: The school administration suspended normal hiring practices - the position was not advertised, no applications were accepted and no interviews save one was conducted. If it looks like a duck then it probably is.

Management skills are a must; according to you, it sounds as though you are "highly qualified"!

-- My management background covered a span of 15 years. I have pretty much seen all that I care to see in that profession.

By the way, what is your hidden agenda?

-- No hidden agenda here - I have sought to be a public as possible.

Thank you Carter County School officials and UHS staff; I appreciate knowing that you guys stood up for my daughter's right not to be penalized for violations. (she told me about the letter from TSSAA which was read to the entire girl's team which did state that the violations were serious) Maybe you should try to obtain a copy of this letter which would trump all of your allegations. Just call TSSAA and ask.

-- I am not the one who needs the letter. The school administration should have the decency to provide Coach Chambers with any all material that has been given to and received from TSSAA. After all, it was his career that was trashed. Until that happens, I would not place a lot of trust in the County School officials and their "letters".

She and all the other girls are happy. I am a mother, I know!! Also, you are a parent and as much time as you spent with Chambers and the team, you KNEW too that they were cheating. I like Coach Chambers too, but you cannot condone cheating and set a bad example for our children.

-- I am not seeing what you see nor have I ever seen what you are insinuating. In any situation, there is THE TRUTH and there is also the PERCEPTION OF TRUTH. At times, the lines between these two ideals can get blurred to the point that you cannot distinguish one from the other. But make no mistake, there is a huge difference. Don't you think it kind of strange that Coach Chambers was never shown the tape nor given any opportunity to defend himself?

Have a good day! I will pray for you!

-- Thanks for your prayers. That always makes for a better day anytime.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey telsea,

Why don't you consider running for school board to put your anger to work for what seems like a "personal" interest for Chambers? I don't think the rules/regulations for this position are as strict as that of the Baptist Church Covenant! LOL Go for it!

Management skills are a must; according to you, it sounds as though you are "highly qualified"!

Thank you Carter County School officials and UHS staff; I appreciate knowing that you guys stood up for my daughter's right not to be penalized for violations. (she told me about the letter from TSSAA which was read to the entire girl's team which did state that the violations were serious) Maybe you should try to obtain a copy of this letter which would trump all of your allegations. Just call TSSAA and ask. She and all the other girls are happy. I am a mother, I know!! Also, you are a parent and as much time as you spent with Chambers and the team, you KNEW too that they were cheating. I like Coach Chambers too, but you cannot condone cheating and set a bad example for our children.

My daughter plays on the UHS Lady Ranger team as well, I ask her about this letter from TSSAA, which was suppose to be read to the ENTIRE TEAM, and she knew nothing of it. Was this for just a few ears only?! I DO NOT condone cheating of whatever kind, (so who was cheating and how?) and I DO think we should ALL set a good example for our children. That is why in the spring, after the last season was over, if there was to be something done about the coaching situation, it should have been done then. But according to everyone, it is all about the KIDS!!! Not so in CARTER COUNTY!! If the "OFFICIALS" really had our girls at heart they would have waited until THIS SEASON was OVER. They had already been to ball camps and begin their conditioning with Coach Chambers. Just exactly what was 4 or 5 more months. REALLY. But ONLY in CARTER COUNTY would a "FEW" decided to change the course of the river half way up stream!!! TELSEA, I personally am with you, I think it is way past time for changes in OUR school system. I believe we should have a say in who runs the show and go back to a VOTED position. TELSEA, Maybe YOU should really put some thought into becoming a School Board Member. And let us not be selfish, but let us ALL pray for each other and our team.

Hey telsea,

Thank you Carter County School officials and UHS staff; I appreciate knowing that you guys stood up for my daughter's right not to be penalized for violations. (she told me about the letter from TSSAA which was read to the entire girl's team which did state that the violations were serious) Maybe you should try to obtain a copy of this letter which would trump all of your allegations. Just call TSSAA and ask. She and all the other girls are happy. I am a mother, I know!! Also, you are a parent and as much time as you spent with Chambers and the team, you KNEW too that they were cheating. I like Coach Chambers too, but you cannot condone cheating and set a bad example for our children.

I'm going to say that you are really close on this one!! My advice to telsea would be to let sleeping dogs lie!!!!!! You may uncover more than you really want to!!!!!! There may be a reason your story was not printed!!!!! Let it go man.

I called the school and asked if the letter was read to the basketball team, and the person replied that, "Yes, the letter was read on Oct. 29, by Mr. M. Ensor. Assistant Principal. It is documented in the school administration log book. "

The cheating wasn't caught on tape until this summer/fall. There was NO reason to do anything to Coach Chambers back in the spring; that was before the proof was tangible. The cameras haven't been installed that long, or he would have been caught much earlier, I am sure. TSSAA doesn't operate on "wait til season is over". They react IMMEDIATELY!!! Remember, none of this would have happened if the coach had done what he should have done. He was the one who didn't have our daughters' best interest at heart. HE made the mistake; it made it a cut and dry decision for those in charge. Bottom line is this.......To those who are upset at the coach's mistake - Be happy that our daughters are gonna at least get to participate in tournament action after the regular season and hopefully more. Otherwise, we would ALL be at tha house! To those who are customed to "special" priviledges like free bus rides to the games, inside info in the dressing room, camp trips, score book activity, getting in games free of charge - You will be just a "regular" like the rest of us this year. If you all want to be the people who make the decisions, and call the shots in the school system, get a degree. It is that simple. They do a heck of a job with our kids. Sometimes it's the parents who need to be re-educated! I wouldn't have their job. There is NOT enough money to put up with what they have to deal with. GO RANGERS!!

My daughter plays on the UHS Lady Ranger team as well, I ask her about this letter from TSSAA, which was suppose to be read to the ENTIRE TEAM, and she knew nothing of it. Was this for just a few ears only?! I DO NOT condone cheating of whatever kind, (so who was cheating and how?) and I DO think we should ALL set a good example for our children. That is why in the spring, after the last season was over, if there was to be something done about the coaching situation, it should have been done then. But according to everyone, it is all about the KIDS!!! Not so in CARTER COUNTY!! If the "OFFICIALS" really had our girls at heart they would have waited until THIS SEASON was OVER. They had already been to ball camps and begin their conditioning with Coach Chambers. Just exactly what was 4 or 5 more months. REALLY. But ONLY in CARTER COUNTY would a "FEW" decided to change the course of the river half way up stream!!! TELSEA, I personally am with you, I think it is way past time for changes in OUR school system. I believe we should have a say in who runs the show and go back to a VOTED position. TELSEA, Maybe YOU should really put some thought into becoming a School Board Member. And let us not be selfish, but let us ALL pray for each other and our team.

I called the school and asked if the letter was read to the basketball team, and the person replied that, "Yes, the letter was read on Oct. 29, by Mr. M. Ensor. Assistant Principal. It is documented in the school administration log book. "

The cheating wasn't caught on tape until this summer/fall. There was NO reason to do anything to Coach Chambers back in the spring; that was before the proof was tangible. The cameras haven't been installed that long, or he would have been caught much earlier, I am sure. TSSAA doesn't operate on "wait til season is over". They react IMMEDIATELY!!! Remember, none of this would have happened if the coach had done what he should have done. He was the one who didn't have our daughters' best interest at heart. HE made the mistake; it made it a cut and dry decision for those in charge. Bottom line is this.......To those who are upset at the coach's mistake - Be happy that our daughters are gonna at least get to participate in tournament action after the regular season and hopefully more. Otherwise, we would ALL be at tha house! To those who are customed to "special" priviledges like free bus rides to the games, inside info in the dressing room, camp trips, score book activity, getting in games free of charge - You will be just a "regular" like the rest of us this year. If you all want to be the people who make the decisions, and call the shots in the school system, get a degree. It is that simple. They do a heck of a job with our kids. Sometimes it's the parents who need to be re-educated! I wouldn't have their job. There is NOT enough money to put up with what they have to deal with. GO RANGERS!!

As to the letter in question, soft/basketballmom has recently had something much more serious than basketball on her mind, and in fact, she was probably in Winston Salem at the time of the reading. I was told that the letter had been read to the team. Good enough.

Besides, I think the investigation, then forced resignation, was completed before the TSSAA received the report. And if it's that important, I'm sure Coach Ensor would also be willilng to clear that up as well.

Whether Coach Chambers should have been allowed to finish this season was certainly worth consideration, especially since he had turned down another offer, so as in his words, "not to skip out on the kids." Oh well.

It's also fair to note that though the recent allegations, as put forth by Unaka, were serious, it doesn't appear that immediate termination was the only recourse. However, the rationale expressed by Unaka is that this was cumulative.

On the other hand, as I'm sure you know, attempts were made to have Coach Chambers fired last spring. In fact Coach Chambers was asked to resign to avoid the pending law-suit. He didn't. And there wasn't. I'm still not sure what came of that.

As for the "not to leave the girls", I think it would have to have been a unique situation for Chambers to leave. Several have been trying to get a coaching change for years and enough "ammo" was collected to make a change necessary. If you will notice there are always parents that want a change after about 3-4 years or if Suzi isn't getting enough playing time or Sally's feeling gets hurt. High school athletics have become alot about winning - winning programs bring in more revenue which runs other sports programs. As to Chambers, he may go to another system next year but he will have to get a high school certification for alot of systems because they do not let elementary teachers coach at the high school level because it causes alot of scheduling/substitute problems during the season. Chambers seems to be too much of a basketball fanatic to stay out of the game too long. For those that wanted a change - the grass always looks greener on the other side and it may not taste as good once you get there to try it. Best of Luck - Just back the girls and hope for the best. Good Luck Lady Rangers!

As to the letter in question, soft/basketballmom has recently had something much more serious than basketball on her mind, and in fact, she was probably in Winston Salem at the time of the reading. I was told that the letter had been read to the team. Good enough.

Besides, I think the investigation, then forced resignation, was completed before the TSSAA received the report. And if it's that important, I'm sure Coach Ensor would also be willilng to clear that up as well.

Whether Coach Chambers should have been allowed to finish this season was certainly worth consideration, especially since he had turned down another offer, so as in his words, "not to skip out on the kids." Oh well.

It's also fair to note that though the recent allegations, as put forth by Unaka, were serious, it doesn't appear that immediate termination was the only recourse. However, the rationale expressed by Unaka is that this was cumulative.

On the other hand, as I'm sure you know, attempts were made to have Coach Chambers fired last spring. In fact Coach Chambers was asked to resign to avoid the pending law-suit. He didn't. And there wasn't. I'm still not sure what came of that.

What offer did he turn down? It looks as though the needs of the many have out weighed the needs of the few ,or (2) or (3).

What offer did he turn down? It looks as though the needs of the many have out weighed the needs of the few ,or (2) or (3).

The most recent offer was at Daniel Boone - - - a considerable pay raise, but obviously the situation at that time (just at the beginning of the school year) was a little unsettling. At any rate, Coach Chambers decided against leaving Hunter/Unaka for the reasons mentioned earlier.

I'm one of the alleged three who felt that Coach Chambers shouldn't have been forced to leave. There are probably many more. This opinion, of wanting Coach Chambers to stay, has nothing at all to do with the new coach; he's a terrific guy, a very promising coach. And, I'm especially fond of Coach Larry Bowling. He was always so very kind, and fair-minded to my children.

Then, there's the added bonus of Coach Oliver. I'd love to see Lacey in coaching for years to come. Perhaps she and the other Coach Oliver will tag-team in the near future?

I wouldn't clasify Ladies Basketball at Unaka, or anywhere for that matter, as a "need." I simply enjoy watching the game, something I've done more since my sons were finished with Football. Of course, several others and I spend a little time watching, posting, etc., but only for the enjoyment of the improved sport it has become. I doubt that any of us feel a need to be involved. It's just something we do, and enjoy. We get to watch some great athletes give their all for the team.

For his part, Coach Chambers has had nothing but positive things to say about the girls who played for him. He felt that this team, with the addition of Rachel Lowe, and the returning experience of Natalie Johnson, Kaleigh Elsea, Danielle Jones, Chesnie Cox, Taylor Byars, Tayler Nidiffer, Kayla Wilson, and Kayla Winters, was, though perhaps not quite as fast at the guard positions, favorably comparable to the great team of four seasons ago.