Unaka basketball coach

screenandroll

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to meet you Mr Hollowell thanks for the introduction.I was just stating a comment I had heard from a source in Greeneville.And considering he is 1 of the top 5 coaches in upper East Tennessee it would have made sense.

Jim , I did not read your response carefully. No problems with Coach, but Coach Crumbley was our 1st choice all the way and she has made us look fairley smart.

She had coached College basketball as an assistant for 5 or 6 years and was the starting PG for all four years of college and still holds the conference record for 3 point shots. And was a straight "A" student in Physics and Chemistry and we needed either an excellent math or science teacher. She worked under 3 head coaches and the first 2 went onto D1

Coach Chambers is an excellent coach at courtside

Nice to meet you Mr Hollowell thanks for the introduction.I was just stating a comment I had heard from a source in Greeneville.And considering he is 1 of the top 5 coaches in upper East Tennessee it would have made sense.

How is he one of the top 5 coaches in upper East Tennessee?? He has made one State tourney apperance in all his years at Unaka, in a weak girls Class A. He wasnt an option over the coach at Science Hill, and he was way down the list at Elizabethton. He barely makes the top three in Carter County behind Cloudland's coach and the master Coach Tolley at Hampton. Then you have coach Campbell at Boone, Fisher at Unicoi the list goes on and on. He is a good coach and a good man, but let's not get carried away.

Given anything remotely resembling equal talent, Coach Chambers can, and has, competed with the best in area. There was a devastating upset by Cloudland in the regional finals that in all likelihood cost then-number-one Unaka consecutive-season visits to Murfreesboro. But, at any rate, once in six years isn't all that bad. He is indeed, a remarkable courtside coach. Unaka was lucky to have him.

And, not that anyone suggested otherwise, to be clear, every indication is that Coach Chambers' teaching skills are also exemplary.

This bacame a war of wills. Early on, some felt very strongly that Coach Chambers wasn't right for the program, and utlimately a change was made. In retrospect, it's amazing that he lasted this long. Unfortunately, the timing was way off.

Now it's hard to envy Coach Wright: He's intelligent. He's dedicated. And, he has tremendous talent. However, the schedule is very tough; three of the top four conference teams will be improved over last season, to the point that, the regular season champion could be a two-loss team. Either way, this Unaka team will be a headline story throughout.

And just for clarity:

I didn't see anyone state, or even suggest that Coach Chambers had been "offered" the head coaching position at Greeneville High School (read "contact"). So, yes, in this case, JIMA6578 is correct, because, as noonesfool should be able to attest, Coach Chambers was indeed, "contacted" by GHS. However, at that time Kenneth was reasonably pleased with things at Unaka, and opted to stay put. He didn't pursue the job at Greeneville High School.

GHS should be pleased with their head coach; a real winner, at courtside, and academically. So, none of this is to suggest that one, or the other is/was best, but rather, to clarify any misunderstanding.

As to whether Kenneth Chambers is, or not, one of the top five coaches in upper-east: Kenneth Chambers averaged 24-and-nine overall during his tenure at Unaka. No other coach equals that. This is not to suggest that he is, or was, number one; but to relegate his record to also-ran status is insultuous, not to mention wrong in fact.

And just for clarity:

I didn't see anyone state, or even suggest that Coach Chambers had been "offered" the head coaching position at Greeneville High School (read "contact"). So, yes, in this case, JIMA6578 is correct, because, as noonesfool should be able to attest, Coach Chambers was indeed, "contacted" by GHS. However, at that time Kenneth was reasonably pleased with things at Unaka, and opted to stay put. He didn't pursue the job at Greeneville High School.

GHS should be pleased with their head coach; a real winner, at courtside, and academically. So, none of this is to suggest that one, or the other is/was best, but rather, to clarify any misunderstanding.

As to whether Kenneth Chambers is, or not, one of the top five coaches in upper-east: Kenneth Chambers averaged 24-and-nine overall during his tenure at Unaka. No other coach equals that. This is not to suggest that he is, or was, number one; but to relegate his record to also-ran status is insultuous, not to mention wrong in fact.

Krich,

Just to be curious, what where Coach Chambers' records for each of the years he coached? How many years was he there? Just thought that would be interesting to know. Do you know how far they went into the post season each year? Only you would know. Thanks

And just for clarity:

No what is insultuous, is saying that given the same talent he would have could have. There have been some loaded Unaka teams in a weak class A that went no where. That falls under also-ran.

Krich,

Just to be curious, what where Coach Chambers' records for each of the years he coached? How many years was he there? Just thought that would be interesting to know. Do you know how far they went into the post season each year? Only you would know. Thanks

screen,

This is from my vague memory; The Star, or others with official numbers can correct:

2000-01 - - - 18-14

2001-02 - - - 18-15 - - -Sub-state

2002-03 - - - 26-8

2003-04 - - - 28-6 - - - Sub-state - - - State

2004-05 - - - 32-3 - - - -Sub-state

2005-06 - - - 22-12 - - -Sub-state

2006-07 - - - 20-14 - - -Sub-state

2007-08 - - -18-14

I earlier posted 24-and9. I think this is actually 23-10

daddysgirl,

I won't belabor the point, other than to post the records as I remember them. To say the least, they're very impressive.

It is of course, your prerogative to see Unaka's record/accomplishments over the past seven seasons as also-ran. I beg to differ. And knowing the players who sacrificed greatly to become an elite team, I feel that to suggest they've underachieved is insultuous to them, regardless of what you think about Kenneth Chambers.

It's no small accomplishment, by the players, or their coach, when an entire starting five (2004-05) is offered Division II (Lees McRae) Scholarships (and Julie Roberson was offered by several Division I schools). Yes, they were upset in the regionals, but that doesn't diminish the school-record, 32 game winning streak. I would only request that in your haste to express your low opinion of the Coach, you might at least be a little more respectful of the players.

screen,

This is from my vague memory; The Star, or others with official numbers can correct:

2000-01 - - - 18-14

2001-02 - - - 18-15 - - -Sub-state

2002-03 - - - 26-8

2003-04 - - - 28-6 - - - Sub-state - - - State

2004-05 - - - 32-3 - - - -Sub-state

2005-06 - - - 22-12 - - -Sub-state

2006-07 - - - 20-14 - - -Sub-state

2007-08 - - -18-14

I earlier posted 24-and9. I think this is actually 23-10

daddysgirl,

I won't belabor the point, other than to post the records as I remember them. To say the least, they're very impressive.

It is of course, your prerogative to see Unaka's record/accomplishments over the past seven seasons as also-ran. I beg to differ. And knowing the players who sacrificed greatly to become an elite team, I feel that to suggest they've underachieved is insultuous to them, regardless of what you think about Kenneth Chambers.

It's no small accomplishment, by the players, or their coach, when an entire starting five (2004-05) is offered Division II (Lees McRae) Scholarships (and Julie Roberson was offered by several Division I schools). Yes, they were upset in the regionals, but that doesn't diminish the school-record, 32 game winning streak. I would only request that in your haste to express your low opinion of the Coach, you might at least be a little more respectful of the players.

I do not have a low opinion of Coach Chambers, he is a good coach and a good man, but you act as if Pat Summit had just been fired. In normal office talk today it was discussed that Larry Bowling never had a losing record at Unaka, and none of us remember this type of doom and gloom.

And exactly how many state tournament and sub state appearances did coach bowling lead his girls to ?

/blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

And daddy's girl i think you should bite your tounge when you make a statement by calling the WVC a weak conference.

You take University High out of the picture and those other 4 teams in that conference can beat or play with your best girls competition around here on any giving night.

I said weak class A, reading is fundamental. The region is just a replay of the district every season, two teams from the WVC are shoe in's for the sub-state. Class A competition in North East TN is weak. Look what Hampton did a few years ago after getting smashed in AA. They drop to class A and went to the State Tourney. I said Class A is weak in North East TN, not the WVC, and when Larry coached at Unaka, Hampton and Cloudland where in their primes, and North Greene had the Weems girl, Larry didnt have the talent to bring to the table with that bunch.