Unaka basketball coach

screenandroll

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krich,

How are the players handling the change. Know a lot of Coach Chambers players were big supporters of his. Has any new players come out since he left? Is Larry Bowling really helping them again? Will be interesting to see how this change will effect their team.

To the best of my knowledge there's one new/returning player. I think two freshmen have

left the team, which is not so unusual, even under normal circumstances.

Larry Bowling is helping. He's a real trooper; a team player.

The biggest challenge for Coach West will keeping everyone on board during November-December.

The Lady Rangers have a very daunting, early-season schedule.

Which ones?

A couple freshmen left the team.

No reason to name them here.

I think Chelsea Anderson is back on the

team for her senior season.

And, Rachel Lowe rejoined the team earlier

in the school year. (I think) she's a difference-maker.

The Lady Rangers have a very challenging schedule,

but they also have Murfreesboro talent.

old44,

Understood. Sorry for the miscommunication on my part. To answer your question, yes,

to the best of my knowledge there was a penalty and/or fine imposed on one of our local

schools, however, I've read nothing official. And, I don't know the seriousness of the

claims, but this could be where the "dead week" association was attached to the Unaka

situation. However, nothing was alleged against Coach Chambers concerning dead week.

My problem with the Coach Chambers resignation/dismissal is that, taken in whole,

everything that allegedy took place shouldn't have reached the dismissal level, and thus, I

questioned the motivation, validity, and most specifically, the protocol in reporting, concerning

the original, major claim of illegal practice activities. The fact that I happened to be in the

gym on the date in question, and that I'm certain that Coach Chambers was doing nothing to

seek to gain any undue advantage, is the most upsetting part. But that's just me.

But again, a coach can be dismissed for any reason. Or no reason at all. And as I understand

things the "official" rationale was that they had decided to go in another direction - - a technical

truth.

old44,

Understood. Sorry for the miscommunication on my part. To answer your question, yes,

to the best of my knowledge there was a penalty and/or fine imposed on one of our local

schools, however, I've read nothing official. And, I don't know the seriousness of the

claims, but this could be where the "dead week" association was attached to the Unaka

situation. However, nothing was alleged against Coach Chambers concerning dead week.

My problem with the Coach Chambers resignation/dismissal is that, taken in whole,

everything that allegedy took place shouldn't have reached the dismissal level, and thus, I

questioned the motivation, validity, and most specifically, the protocol in reporting, concerning

the original, major claim of illegal practice activities. The fact that I happened to be in the

gym on the date in question, and that I'm certain that Coach Chambers was doing nothing to

seek to gain any undue advantage, is the most upsetting part. But that's just me.

But again, a coach can be dismissed for any reason. Or no reason at all. And as I understand

things the "official" rationale was that they had decided to go in another direction - - a technical

truth.

Another direction ummmm, lets see the opposite direction of winning would be....losing. Wes doesn't know this yet but he's just another puppet in the political theater call UNAKA HIGH. I've lost all respect for R. Hicks, M. Taylor and D. Williams. Their motives for dismissal were purely self-serving and to use a old cliche, what goes around comes around. This descision will come back to bite them in the butt down the road. They did a truly good man and coach a disservice. I wonder how they would feel if the school board suddenly decided that their teaching abilities weren't up to parr and wanted to go in 'another direction"? I"m done

Here is a letter that I wrote to the Elizabethton Star. As of this date, they have not printed the letter. I know they have a 300 word limit but I have had longer letters published before and so have others.

How to Assassinate a Career in the Carter County School System

On Thursday, October 9th the coaching career of Kenneth Chambers at Unaka High School came to a forced ending. He was summoned to a meeting at the County School Superintendent??™s office. At this meeting, the Superintendent and the Principal of Unaka High School gave Coach Chambers a choice of resigning or dismissal as coach. When Coach Chambers asked for the reason behind this action, the leadership of the school system declined to give one other than to say they wanted to go in a different direction. Once again, the ineptness of the school system leadership ??“ from the high school to the administrator??™s office ??“ has reared its ugly head in the form of a spine-less, gut-less monster.

I have concluded after twenty years that the county school leadership would have a serious time managing a rooster fight. They do not have a clue when it comes to the school system. No employee of any professional entity deserves this type of treatment from management (and I use this term lightly). I worked in management for over 15 years and my group had a name to describe the type of leadership we have in the school system (???3 Musketeers??? leadership ??“ ???all fluff and no substance???). In the academic world, this leadership style goes by the name of The Peter Principle ??“ meaning that leadership has been promoted to their level of incompetence and they remain at this level for the rest of their career.

If you have ever wondered why the school system in Carter County seems to be at a standstill ??“ the Peter Principle is the answer. The leadership is more interested in padding their retirement than they are in putting forth a fresh vision, a new direction or an alternate path. Of course, you also need to have the ability to provide those types of actions. In short, the county school system leadership is ???wannabees??? and ???wannabees??? are usually ???neverbees???.

I know there are some who are thinking that because the school leadership has college degrees and such that they should be qualified to do the job. A degree simply enhances or validates the professional skill-set that you already have. Having a degree in education or business does not mean that you are qualified to teach or lead people. The degree may open the door but the individual has to be able to perform the duties of the position.

There is some background behind this situation and the school system management will give Stoney Creek the same consideration as they did Coach Chambers and the Lady Ranger team -- NONE. However, I do not have to be politically correct. I have seen more of this type of career assassination than I care to admit. The management profession, in general, contains numerous corpses of ruined lives and careers of employees who always wanted to make a difference. Management will publicly put on a good face for employees until someone makes an innuendo or an unfounded claim against an employee.

At this point, management assumes that the employee is guilty first. This is usually the driving force behind the ???resign or dismiss??? ultimatum because this is the path of least resistance. Heaven help you if you happen to be a salaried employee because you will probably never know the real reason for your troubles. After all, management does not think you deserve to know (remember you are guilty) and management does not want to be held accountable later on for anything they say or do.

Over time, management has found that idiotic silence is usually the best solution (sarcasm). Right, wrong or indifferent, management does not profess the mantra of ???innocent until proven guilty??? because this requires extra effort to discover the validity of claims. Management will also lie to friends and colleagues until after the ???hammer drops??? because you cannot trust anyone.

So what is the underlying story in this soap opera? In brief, someone informed Ronnie Hicks, Athletic Director of Unaka HS that Coach Chambers was practicing the Lady Ranger basketball team illegally. Coach Chambers was contacted by the principal, Mickey Taylor and was told that the matter was being investigated and that there was video tape of the event. After a week or so of not hearing anything, Coach Chambers called TSSAA for a status update of the complaint. He also made subsequent calls to TSSAA on his behalf because the school administration did not bother returning his calls in a timely fashion.

TSSAA informed Coach Chambers that there was no pending action against Unaka. Coach Chambers reported to TSSAA that the girls practicing were members of Hunter Elementary. Some of the girls had asked Coach Chambers if he could give them some pointers because their coach was still in football. Coach Chambers has helped in the past because the Hunter coach handles football along with both boys and girls basketball. The Lady Rangers were in the high school gym conditioning so Coach Chambers let the elementary girls come to the gym.

TSSAA told Coach Chambers that this was not a good idea to have the elementary girls in the gym. Other school districts had abused the Open Facilities rule by allowing alumni to come to the gym and hold impromptu practices and scrimmages. Coach Chambers was told by TSSSAA that there would be no problems as long as he did not allow this to happen again.

Coach Chambers also reported to TSSAA that he had taken the elementary team to specialized summer camps. TSSAA told Coach Chambers that this would be an issue in a non-zoned school district because this could be seen as recruiting. Carter County is a zoned school district, which means that you have to live in the district to play in the schools of that district. TSSAA told Coach Chambers that this would not be considered severe enough to discipline the Lady Rangers as far as eligibility. Eligibility was the main concern of the high school principal and Coach Chambers was told that any loss of eligibility would be grounds for dismissal. Here is the TSSAA definition of practice and open facilities taken from the latest handbook that is located at:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

Practice ??“ Any interaction between a coach and student-athlete(s) where instruction, teaching, coaching, etc., is occurring. Happenstance communications between coach and student-athlete(s), in circumstances where attendance by the student-athlete is neither expected nor required, are not considered to be practice. Such communications may not, however, be used to circumvent the requirement in open facilities that a coach act in a supervisory capacity only.

Open Facilities ??“ Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

In looking through the TSSAA handbook, I am hard-pressed to find anything that would cause any major concern for Coach Chambers, the school leadership or more importantly, the Lady Ranger team. The handbook is 52 pages long and this includes the section covering middle schools. I can only speculate that the school leadership did not bother to look this information up because of their ???rush to judgment??? attitude. Again, from the TSSAA handbook:

Section 5. (a) A violation of the TSSAA Constitution or Bylaws will not result in any investigation or penalty if it is inadvertent and the school first learns of and reports the violation after the conclusion of the following year's playoffs in the sport in which the violation occurred??¦??¦

Coach Chambers did exactly what he was required to do according to TSSAA and received favorable feedback:

Section 2. Each member school has a responsibility to monitor its athletic program and to self-report any violations of TSSAA Bylaws to the Executive Director as soon as the school is aware of possible violations. The responsibility extends to all administrators and coaches at the school.

So, back to the forced resignation. The question that begs to be asked (and has not been addressed by the ???county gang leaders???) is this: What is the agenda of the informant in this situation? In fact, a good manager would have ascertained this at the very beginning. After all, Coach Chambers has been a valued employee of the school system as a teacher and coach for many years. He has never been disciplined or reprimanded in all of his years of service. You might say that he is a ???model employee??? who has a passion for the game of basketball that is respected by all of his peers. As a parent of one of the team members, I can attest that Coach Chambers does not coach for the pay. He understands that on a higher level, he is helping to prepare these young women for life after high school. All of us can recall how actions of certain teachers and coaches continue to influence us today. And the best reason that management can give this employee is ???We are not prepared to give any more information.???

So when does an individual of this caliber deserve to be treated differently than anyone else in a similar situation? It is my understanding that both Cloudland and Hampton have violated TSSAA rules this year. Did those coaches get the same treatment? What actions, if any, were taken against the coaches of those teams? Are those programs also going in ???a new direction??? that cannot be discussed? Has the leadership been consistent in the handling of each situation or could a case of nepotism or favoritism be put forth?

I have seen and heard about possible infractions both this year and last concerning the abuse of Dead Week, Open Facilities and the Repeating Rule at Unaka. All of us see and hear things on a daily basis that may have the perception of truth but, in reality, are not actually true. Have the other coaches and principal at Unaka investigated those possible infractions and taken the appropriate action when necessary? I sure hope so because I would hate to see another coach blind-sided as his career goes up in flames.

Here is the answer to the question: How do you assassinate the career of an employee in the Carter County School System? Simply put, all you need to do is to go to a member of management and make some wild, hairy suggestions and assertions. It will not matter if they are not true because management will never bother checking. You may have to make several unfounded complaints but never fear; your persistence will soon be rewarded with the end of someone??™s career. After all, management is more concerned with happy-face pictures in the newspaper than they are in investigating your hidden agenda.

In the October 12th edition of The Star was a picture of the roof collapse at Hunter Elementary. As I looked at that picture, I was struck as to how indicative that photo was of the county school system, summed up by years of neglect. That same type of picture can be taken at most of the schools in Carter County. In fact, at Unaka Elementary, you do not have to go inside the school. All you need do is to take a walk around the track. If you open your eyes, you can see the results of years of stagnant leadership in the school system.

A word of advice for the employees of the school system: Management does not have your best interests at heart. Management is only concerned with their best interests. As an employee, you have the potential to be a liability and that is not good for management. When push comes to shove, management views a resignation as a victory because they do not have to accept responsibility for their failures. A real manager would acknowledge that his failure resulted in the employee having difficulties, not vice versa.

In addition, a word to the wise for the leadership of the school system: Be careful of the employees that you step over on your way up the ladder of success. Those same employees will be standing on your shoulders when you are on your way down. Oh, how the mighty fall. It is never a pretty sight.

Lastly, a word of encouragement to Coach Chambers: When one door closes, others open. From the day that you took over the helm at Unaka, you had two strikes against you. Strike 1: You were not a member of ???the good ol??™ boys??? club. Strike 2: You do not have the last name that gets you privilege and consideration on Stoney Creek. Justice in this country grants a person the opportunity to face their accuser and the school leadership seems to have trampled all over that consideration. I am challenging the School Board members to provide Coach Chambers with a copy of the videotape and any information on the individual(s) who made the accusations (if the tape or individual(s) actually exist or ever existed).

My dad had a saying: ???Time will tell when nothing else will.??? One day, we will all know who benefited the most from this miscarriage of position, privilege and power. The Lady Ranger basketball team has suffered and continues to suffer. The coaching career of a dedicated man has been tarnished. The community, as a whole, loses face when leadership that has been entrusted to ???do the right thing??? fails miserably. There will be no winners ??“ all of Stoney Creek has lost and the losses will continue until the leadership of the school system is replaced from the bottom up. There needs to be some additional housecleaning and the School Board needs to get busy with some ???sweeping??? measures.

Here is a letter that I wrote to the Elizabethton Star. As of this date, they have not printed the letter. I know they have a 300 word limit but I have had longer letters published before and so have others.

How to Assassinate a Career in the Carter County School System

On Thursday, October 9th the coaching career of Kenneth Chambers at Unaka High School came to a forced ending. He was summoned to a meeting at the County School Superintendent??™s office. At this meeting, the Superintendent and the Principal of Unaka High School gave Coach Chambers a choice of resigning or dismissal as coach. When Coach Chambers asked for the reason behind this action, the leadership of the school system declined to give one other than to say they wanted to go in a different direction. Once again, the ineptness of the school system leadership ??“ from the high school to the administrator??™s office ??“ has reared its ugly head in the form of a spine-less, gut-less monster.

I have concluded after twenty years that the county school leadership would have a serious time managing a rooster fight. They do not have a clue when it comes to the school system. No employee of any professional entity deserves this type of treatment from management (and I use this term lightly). I worked in management for over 15 years and my group had a name to describe the type of leadership we have in the school system (???3 Musketeers??? leadership ??“ ???all fluff and no substance???). In the academic world, this leadership style goes by the name of The Peter Principle ??“ meaning that leadership has been promoted to their level of incompetence and they remain at this level for the rest of their career.

If you have ever wondered why the school system in Carter County seems to be at a standstill ??“ the Peter Principle is the answer. The leadership is more interested in padding their retirement than they are in putting forth a fresh vision, a new direction or an alternate path. Of course, you also need to have the ability to provide those types of actions. In short, the county school system leadership is ???wannabees??? and ???wannabees??? are usually ???neverbees???.

I know there are some who are thinking that because the school leadership has college degrees and such that they should be qualified to do the job. A degree simply enhances or validates the professional skill-set that you already have. Having a degree in education or business does not mean that you are qualified to teach or lead people. The degree may open the door but the individual has to be able to perform the duties of the position.

There is some background behind this situation and the school system management will give Stoney Creek the same consideration as they did Coach Chambers and the Lady Ranger team -- NONE. However, I do not have to be politically correct. I have seen more of this type of career assassination than I care to admit. The management profession, in general, contains numerous corpses of ruined lives and careers of employees who always wanted to make a difference. Management will publicly put on a good face for employees until someone makes an innuendo or an unfounded claim against an employee.

At this point, management assumes that the employee is guilty first. This is usually the driving force behind the ???resign or dismiss??? ultimatum because this is the path of least resistance. Heaven help you if you happen to be a salaried employee because you will probably never know the real reason for your troubles. After all, management does not think you deserve to know (remember you are guilty) and management does not want to be held accountable later on for anything they say or do.

Over time, management has found that idiotic silence is usually the best solution (sarcasm). Right, wrong or indifferent, management does not profess the mantra of ???innocent until proven guilty??? because this requires extra effort to discover the validity of claims. Management will also lie to friends and colleagues until after the ???hammer drops??? because you cannot trust anyone.

So what is the underlying story in this soap opera? In brief, someone informed Ronnie Hicks, Athletic Director of Unaka HS that Coach Chambers was practicing the Lady Ranger basketball team illegally. Coach Chambers was contacted by the principal, Mickey Taylor and was told that the matter was being investigated and that there was video tape of the event. After a week or so of not hearing anything, Coach Chambers called TSSAA for a status update of the complaint. He also made subsequent calls to TSSAA on his behalf because the school administration did not bother returning his calls in a timely fashion.

TSSAA informed Coach Chambers that there was no pending action against Unaka. Coach Chambers reported to TSSAA that the girls practicing were members of Hunter Elementary. Some of the girls had asked Coach Chambers if he could give them some pointers because their coach was still in football. Coach Chambers has helped in the past because the Hunter coach handles football along with both boys and girls basketball. The Lady Rangers were in the high school gym conditioning so Coach Chambers let the elementary girls come to the gym.

TSSAA told Coach Chambers that this was not a good idea to have the elementary girls in the gym. Other school districts had abused the Open Facilities rule by allowing alumni to come to the gym and hold impromptu practices and scrimmages. Coach Chambers was told by TSSSAA that there would be no problems as long as he did not allow this to happen again.

Coach Chambers also reported to TSSAA that he had taken the elementary team to specialized summer camps. TSSAA told Coach Chambers that this would be an issue in a non-zoned school district because this could be seen as recruiting. Carter County is a zoned school district, which means that you have to live in the district to play in the schools of that district. TSSAA told Coach Chambers that this would not be considered severe enough to discipline the Lady Rangers as far as eligibility. Eligibility was the main concern of the high school principal and Coach Chambers was told that any loss of eligibility would be grounds for dismissal. Here is the TSSAA definition of practice and open facilities taken from the latest handbook that is located at:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/handbook.pdf

Practice ??“ Any interaction between a coach and student-athlete(s) where instruction, teaching, coaching, etc., is occurring. Happenstance communications between coach and student-athlete(s), in circumstances where attendance by the student-athlete is neither expected nor required, are not considered to be practice. Such communications may not, however, be used to circumvent the requirement in open facilities that a coach act in a supervisory capacity only.

Open Facilities ??“ Schools may use their facilities for students in their building prior to or at the conclusion of the school day. Coaches may serve in a supervisory capacity only. There is no instruction, no teaching, no coaching, etc. Coaches may not participate or play in any manner. It is a free play type atmosphere.

In looking through the TSSAA handbook, I am hard-pressed to find anything that would cause any major concern for Coach Chambers, the school leadership or more importantly, the Lady Ranger team. The handbook is 52 pages long and this includes the section covering middle schools. I can only speculate that the school leadership did not bother to look this information up because of their ???rush to judgment??? attitude. Again, from the TSSAA handbook:

Section 5. (a) A violation of the TSSAA Constitution or Bylaws will not result in any investigation or penalty if it is inadvertent and the school first learns of and reports the violation after the conclusion of the following year's playoffs in the sport in which the violation occurred??¦??¦

Coach Chambers did exactly what he was required to do according to TSSAA and received favorable feedback:

Section 2. Each member school has a responsibility to monitor its athletic program and to self-report any violations of TSSAA Bylaws to the Executive Director as soon as the school is aware of possible violations. The responsibility extends to all administrators and coaches at the school.

So, back to the forced resignation. The question that begs to be asked (and has not been addressed by the ???county gang leaders???) is this: What is the agenda of the informant in this situation? In fact, a good manager would have ascertained this at the very beginning. After all, Coach Chambers has been a valued employee of the school system as a teacher and coach for many years. He has never been disciplined or reprimanded in all of his years of service. You might say that he is a ???model employee??? who has a passion for the game of basketball that is respected by all of his peers. As a parent of one of the team members, I can attest that Coach Chambers does not coach for the pay. He understands that on a higher level, he is helping to prepare these young women for life after high school. All of us can recall how actions of certain teachers and coaches continue to influence us today. And the best reason that management can give this employee is ???We are not prepared to give any more information.???

So when does an individual of this caliber deserve to be treated differently than anyone else in a similar situation? It is my understanding that both Cloudland and Hampton have violated TSSAA rules this year. Did those coaches get the same treatment? What actions, if any, were taken against the coaches of those teams? Are those programs also going in ???a new direction??? that cannot be discussed? Has the leadership been consistent in the handling of each situation or could a case of nepotism or favoritism be put forth?

I have seen and heard about possible infractions both this year and last concerning the abuse of Dead Week, Open Facilities and the Repeating Rule at Unaka. All of us see and hear things on a daily basis that may have the perception of truth but, in reality, are not actually true. Have the other coaches and principal at Unaka investigated those possible infractions and taken the appropriate action when necessary? I sure hope so because I would hate to see another coach blind-sided as his career goes up in flames.

Here is the answer to the question: How do you assassinate the career of an employee in the Carter County School System? Simply put, all you need to do is to go to a member of management and make some wild, hairy suggestions and assertions. It will not matter if they are not true because management will never bother checking. You may have to make several unfounded complaints but never fear; your persistence will soon be rewarded with the end of someone??™s career. After all, management is more concerned with happy-face pictures in the newspaper than they are in investigating your hidden agenda.

In the October 12th edition of The Star was a picture of the roof collapse at Hunter Elementary. As I looked at that picture, I was struck as to how indicative that photo was of the county school system, summed up by years of neglect. That same type of picture can be taken at most of the schools in Carter County. In fact, at Unaka Elementary, you do not have to go inside the school. All you need do is to take a walk around the track. If you open your eyes, you can see the results of years of stagnant leadership in the school system.

A word of advice for the employees of the school system: Management does not have your best interests at heart. Management is only concerned with their best interests. As an employee, you have the potential to be a liability and that is not good for management. When push comes to shove, management views a resignation as a victory because they do not have to accept responsibility for their failures. A real manager would acknowledge that his failure resulted in the employee having difficulties, not vice versa.

In addition, a word to the wise for the leadership of the school system: Be careful of the employees that you step over on your way up the ladder of success. Those same employees will be standing on your shoulders when you are on your way down. Oh, how the mighty fall. It is never a pretty sight.

Lastly, a word of encouragement to Coach Chambers: When one door closes, others open. From the day that you took over the helm at Unaka, you had two strikes against you. Strike 1: You were not a member of ???the good ol??™ boys??? club. Strike 2: You do not have the last name that gets you privilege and consideration on Stoney Creek. Justice in this country grants a person the opportunity to face their accuser and the school leadership seems to have trampled all over that consideration. I am challenging the School Board members to provide Coach Chambers with a copy of the videotape and any information on the individual(s) who made the accusations (if the tape or individual(s) actually exist or ever existed).

My dad had a saying: ???Time will tell when nothing else will.??? One day, we will all know who benefited the most from this miscarriage of position, privilege and power. The Lady Ranger basketball team has suffered and continues to suffer. The coaching career of a dedicated man has been tarnished. The community, as a whole, loses face when leadership that has been entrusted to ???do the right thing??? fails miserably. There will be no winners ??“ all of Stoney Creek has lost and the losses will continue until the leadership of the school system is replaced from the bottom up. There needs to be some additional housecleaning and the School Board needs to get busy with some ???sweeping??? measures.

Hey telsea,

Why don't you consider running for school board to put your anger to work for what seems like a "personal" interest for Chambers? I don't think the rules/regulations for this position are as strict as that of the Baptist Church Covenant! LOL Go for it!

Management skills are a must; according to you, it sounds as though you are "highly qualified"!

By the way, what is your hidden agenda?

Thank you Carter County School officials and UHS staff; I appreciate knowing that you guys stood up for my daughter's right not to be penalized for violations. (she told me about the letter from TSSAA which was read to the entire girl's team which did state that the violations were serious) Maybe you should try to obtain a copy of this letter which would trump all of your allegations. Just call TSSAA and ask. She and all the other girls are happy. I am a mother, I know!! Also, you are a parent and as much time as you spent with Chambers and the team, you KNEW too that they were cheating. I like Coach Chambers too, but you cannot condone cheating and set a bad example for our children.

Have a good day! I will pray for you!