Colton Speed For Class A

Blue and Gold

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bigster let's give this thread some "Cold Hard Facts"....

I'm going to preface this post by saying Colton Speed should garner consideration....Not at all saying he should win the award....

Let's look at the only time we can compare numbers head-to-head between Colton Speed and Carlos Young.....UC and LC played back in Week 2 with UC coming from behind to win 55-41....

Colton Speed....

6 Rushing TD's

22 rushes for 310 yards

3 for 3 passing for 118 yards

Speed is the QB for a team that is 7-1 overall and 5-0 in the region

He will be a three sport athlete his senior season as he is a very accomplished baseball player and will also play basketball..

Carlos Young....

3 Overall TD's....2 TD's rushing and 1 KO Return for 92 yards

9 rushes for 12 yards

7 for 15 passing for 195 yards

Carlos Young plays on a 4-4 team overall and is 3-2 in the region

He is a two-sport athlete as he also plays basketball....Don't know about baseball

Both are very good athletes..Just giving some numbers for folks to look at and make their own comparisons....

bigster...Why does the LC coach not utilize Young more??..I agree with you 100% on getting the kid more touches...

I'm not sold on how tough the teams you guys are playing actually are.....You guys get the rankings during the season but when it comes down to going to Murfreesboro your best hasn't been able to get past Union City(a 36-13 winner over a 13-0 Jo Bryns team at Jo Bryns in 2005),Jackson Christian(a 42-14 winner over a 11-2 Mt Pleasant team in 2006) and McKenzie(a 35-32 winner over a 11-2 Mt Pleasant team last season)..Maybe you guys wouldn't be having the gaudy records playing the west teams...Didn't those Mt. Pleasant teams have to beat Jo Bryns to get to the semis??....Just a thought...

Those numbers by Ethan Tummins are good though..

You do remember LC is in the same region as UC??..Your argument against weak teams nixes any consideration for Young as well... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You're right..But the only difference is Carlos had to play against the U.C defense..Not Lake Co's..And the Lake Co offense is spread out among about 5 players...If you go by just stats and weak defenses and let him keep running ..yes he will get his yards....But I'm not pushing Carlos as the State Class A Mr.Football...I'm just saying South Fulton saw him last night..Probably touched the ball maybe 10 times..If Lake Co chose to put Carlos at the quarterback spot and give him the touches that Speed gets..Would be just as good or better..And Carlos has a better arm..Someone said why throw when you can run for that many yards..I agree..If you are going by just stats...He should probably get 10 more touchdowns the next two games and probably 8 or 10 more touchdowns...But against teams that are just not strong..If he wins Mr.Football..it will be because of padded stats...But I still don't think he's the best athlete in our own district!I mean ..same in basketball...I could take a player in basketball..let him shoot 50 times a game..score 50 points against Wynnburg..score 50 points against Bogota..50 points against the very tough Lunch Room Ladies...150 points in 3 games..Put Russel Avery from Lake Co and he scores25 points againt U.C...Scores 25 against Humboldt...scores 25 points against Dyer Co..I guess the other player would be Mr.Basketball...Come on guys..He's a good athlete that just happens to be on a team doesn't spread the ball around..doesn't throw much..and being the quarterback..just happens to have the ball in his hands most of the time..AQnd I guarantee..He knows his stats..the coach knows his stats...the fans know his stats..And if Union City is beating someone 40 to nothing and a quarter left..he will still be in the game..And remember..it only takes 1 run to maybe go 70 yards or more..So..against teams like ours..Could very easily gain 300 yards every game.....Good quarterback..Yes..Good athlete..Yes..MVP...No!..He probably would be voted the MVP in the district because of his personal stats that are being padded against weak teams..And because of Union City's record..Based on this stats ..Yes..As far as Carlos playing against the same teams..Carlos doesn't handle the ball no where close to Speed..But I believe Carlos is the better football player!

If Joe Longmire or Jewel Flowers were playing against these teams this year back in the day..Would have 3,000 yards apiece..But since they aren't and the teams are what thet are..I'd give Speed consideration just based on his stats..Not that I feel he is the MVP...If South Pittsburg or maybe some other teams have similiar players with stats..or even close..Would have to see the teams they've played!