David Lipscomb vs. Marshall Co.

mustang427

excellent post and many wonderful points

a GREAT coaching staff is the glue that makes it possible year after year

but the private haters dont wont to listen and will not understand what you said

Not a hater. Just want to see a game.

There is an easy way to answer the question, just play a few games.

DL plays those teams in middle school (and often loses). Why not let the big boys play 'em?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a hater. Just want to see a game.

There is an easy way to answer the question, just play a few games.

DL plays those teams in middle school (and often loses). Why not let the big boys play 'em?

because lipscomb doesn't have anything to prove to the elite private schools. we aren't in the same division, it doesn't really matter. those games are purely about pride, and that is not the kind of pride lipscomb teaches.

the football program at lipscomb teaches self confidence and pride in an excellent heritage, but not to the point of needing to prove yourself to anybody. they just run out on the field and play their game as hard as they can for 48 minutes, one week at a time.

As the parent of a child who lives in Green Hills (DL's neighborhood), I'll tell you why they do not want to go DII. Lipscomb is an affordable christian school that does not want to get into the politics, fundraising, etc... that goes with the DII's. Lipscomb is not, and I hope they never will be, about money and recruiting. It changes the whole spirit of the school. Lipscomb's primary mission is to prepare kids for college and give them a school where they can worship while being educated. They also want to provide all the opportunities a big public can provide (choir, clubs, theatre, etc..) I believe in separation of church and state, so I am glad there is an affordable option for me to give my child an education in an environment where they can also express their religious beliefs. Trust me, if you lived in Davidson county, you would see the public school system is a mess.

Lipscomb would lose students if they went DII. The kids that play athletics for DL, are your two income families (or one as in my case) that grew up in a school playing soccer, football, basketball, baseball, softball, etc... in the local Nashville youth leagues. Most of the parents went to big publics. Lipscomb was pretty much the best fit for a family that was paying essentially the same thing they did for day care. It was an easy choice.

If Lipscomb were to go DII, it would change the whole premise of the school. As it has been said over and over, DL does not have many kids that go on to D1 college athletics. They just have chemistry, because they have played that particular sport together since elementary or early junior high. They also have teachers/coaches that stick around. Many public schools have much better facilites and funding. Trust me, Lipscomb is on an even playing field with the publics. They just have the advantage of kids growing up in the same school and learning the program early.

I would be very dissapointed if Lipscomb tried to become a BA, MBA or Ensworth. It is not apples to apples. It costs around $8,500 to go to Lipscomb. It costs close to $25K for Ensworth. Lipscomb does not want to be a private 'elite.' They just want to be a school where kids can learn, get educated, participate in choir, band, theatre, or athletics if it is their choice. I hope Lipscomb does not succumb to the pressure to be pushed out, and continues to be a neighborhood school. If the players at Lipscomb are that superior, why aren't they on scholarship at MBA, Ensworth, or BA? It would save their parents $8,500 a year and guarantee them a college scholarship. Mind you, all the DII schools I mentioned are within two to three miles from Lipscomb, so it is not a logistics issue.

I know I won't change people's minds about private vs. public, but please understand Lipscomb is not your traditional private. They are like most rural schools in terms of size (148 in this senior class), and they try to offer programs for all kids. They just happen to also have some kids that turned out to be good athletes, and one darn GREAT football coach.

Not about money and recruiting? Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the parent of a child who lives in Green Hills (DL's neighborhood), I'll tell you why they do not want to go DII. Lipscomb is an affordable christian school that does not want to get into the politics, fundraising, etc... that goes with the DII's. Lipscomb is not, and I hope they never will be, about money and recruiting. It changes the whole spirit of the school. Lipscomb's primary mission is to prepare kids for college and give them a school where they can worship while being educated. They also want to provide all the opportunities a big public can provide (choir, clubs, theatre, etc..) I believe in separation of church and state, so I am glad there is an affordable option for me to give my child an education in an environment where they can also express their religious beliefs. Trust me, if you lived in Davidson county, you would see the public school system is a mess.

Lipscomb would lose students if they went DII. The kids that play athletics for DL, are your two income families (or one as in my case) that grew up in a school playing soccer, football, basketball, baseball, softball, etc... in the local Nashville youth leagues. Most of the parents went to big publics. Lipscomb was pretty much the best fit for a family that was paying essentially the same thing they did for day care. It was an easy choice.

If Lipscomb were to go DII, it would change the whole premise of the school. As it has been said over and over, DL does not have many kids that go on to D1 college athletics. They just have chemistry, because they have played that particular sport together since elementary or early junior high. They also have teachers/coaches that stick around. Many public schools have much better facilites and funding. Trust me, Lipscomb is on an even playing field with the publics. They just have the advantage of kids growing up in the same school and learning the program early.

I would be very dissapointed if Lipscomb tried to become a BA, MBA or Ensworth. It is not apples to apples. It costs around $8,500 to go to Lipscomb. It costs close to $25K for Ensworth. Lipscomb does not want to be a private 'elite.' They just want to be a school where kids can learn, get educated, participate in choir, band, theatre, or athletics if it is their choice. I hope Lipscomb does not succumb to the pressure to be pushed out, and continues to be a neighborhood school. If the players at Lipscomb are that superior, why aren't they on scholarship at MBA, Ensworth, or BA? It would save their parents $8,500 a year and guarantee them a college scholarship. Mind you, all the DII schools I mentioned are within two to three miles from Lipscomb, so it is not a logistics issue.

I know I won't change people's minds about private vs. public, but please understand Lipscomb is not your traditional private. They are like most rural schools in terms of size (148 in this senior class), and they try to offer programs for all kids. They just happen to also have some kids that turned out to be good athletes, and one darn GREAT football coach.

How is it that DL is a Christian school and the public schools aren't? Do you have to have around $8,500 for school to be a Christian? You are in a dream world if you think most families can afford this price especially in this economy. If you don't accept the poor, the less intelligent, the behavior problems, etc.then it is impossible to be a Christian school, and chapel 5 times a week will not change this. Christians by definition cannot discriminate and you do as long as there are people who can't afford your school. It would much more honest for you to go Division II. You don't want to go to school with the general public during the week and lots of us don't want to play with you on Friday nights. We live our faith by helping those in need and they are plentiful in our public schools, and you can help best by actually knowing them and their needs. You are teaching your kids to seperate themselves from the real world.

How is it that DL is a Christian school and the public schools aren't? Do you have to have around $8,500 for school to be a Christian? You are in a dream world if you think most families can afford this price especially in this economy. If you don't accept the poor, the less intelligent, the behavior problems, etc.then it is impossible to be a Christian school, and chapel 5 times a week will not change this. Christians by definition cannot discriminate and you do as long as there are people who can't afford your school. It would much more honest for you to go Division II. You don't want to go to school with the general public during the week and lots of us don't want to play with you on Friday nights. We live our faith by helping those in need and they are plentiful in our public schools, and you can help best by actually knowing them and their needs. You are teaching your kids to separate themselves from the real world.

Those that have a drive for their kids to go to school in a warm loving environment make sure it happens (by paying for it or financial aid). You know nothing about Lipscomb or its environment, please stop posting drivel about the school and its mission. It's sad that you feel the need to spread slander about a great program and even more wonderful people. When public schools decide that God has a place amongst their students then they can be christian schools until then a school that has a foundation in the worship of Christ, the following of his teachings to the fundamental level, and the drive to send young men and women out into the world with a solid spiritual faith and self confidence in their own abilities, Lipscomb and other "christian" private schools will continue to be the place where people choose to send their children.

Funny thing about a Christian school You have to have Christ in there somewhere, don't you? that's what it comes down to. No GOD no CHRISTIAN school. IT's not about money dude, it's about Faith.

I have been reading for a week now about this public private talk, and it is very interesting to me. I am a giles fan and alumni of the late 80's. I think some of my fellow Giles fans have a wrong impression of what exactly is a Christian school. You must have Christ in the school to even be considered as a Christian school, in your daily lessons(ex:science class,prayer,bible study,bible class). This is not to say that there are not Christians in public schools because I know that to be true. We are called by Christ not to be of the world or to be brought down by worldly lust, and if these parents and children of DL have the ability to do that for themselves and their children then that is great! As for the football game hey we got BEAT lets move on and deal with it and hope we can take care of buisness the rest of the way and represent ourselves well in the playoffs.

I have been reading for a week now about this public private talk, and it is very interesting to me. I am a giles fan and alumni of the late 80's. I think some of my fellow Giles fans have a wrong impression of what exactly is a Christian school. You must have Christ in the school to even be considered as a Christian school, in your daily lessons(ex:science class,prayer,bible study,bible class). This is not to say that there are not Christians in public schools because I know that to be true. We are called by Christ not to be of the world or to be brought down by worldly lust, and if these parents and children of DL have the ability to do that for themselves and their children then that is great! As for the football game hey we got BEAT lets move on and deal with it and hope we can take care of buisness the rest of the way and represent ourselves well in the playoffs.

I am not sure that Jesus would feel that DL winning FB games is important to the mission of a Christian school.

I do not really see what all of this discussion has to do with a dominant team beating the tar out of the same opponents year after year without ever trying to step out of their comfort zone to play better competition. You would think it would benefit the young men on the team to step out of the box and accept a greater challenge.

Run with the swift! You might finish second.

Not to get off topic over gloating about DL... but did you see that play where Kareem Peterson #10 ran down William Officer on that 80 something yard run he had? It started off by Kareem missing the tackle and falling on the ground, he waited for 2 seconds then got up and started chasing him, William was already 30 yards down the field! That shows determination after an error.

Here is the clip. (Are you allowed to link videos here?)

http://files.filefront.com/Run+Downavi/;12...;/fileinfo.html

OMG Lewisburg needs a track team bad!

I'm sure lipscomb is like rural schools and is a fine christian school inclusive of all.Tell us about your special-ed program! Oh That's right !You don't have one ! because you don't really believe you should have to associate with that sort of thing. Let's see your coaches and your school take some of the special needs kids that public schools HAVE to deal with and win consistently!

I'm sure lipscomb is like rural schools and is a fine christian school inclusive of all.Tell us about your special-ed program! Oh That's right !You don't have one ! because you don't really believe you should have to associate with that sort of thing. Let's see your coaches and your school take some of the special needs kids that public schools HAVE to deal with and win consistently!

can we try to talk about football on here!!! this is rediculous!! DL has a good football program and they are a private christian school. So What!!! they still play the same game and practice the same way anyone else does. how are you gonna bring up special needs kids in this forum about marshall county and lipscomb!?!?! that don t have anything to do with football. dude if you don t have anything else to complain about, go down to a beauty shop in town (i m sure you ll fit right in) this is about football. i'm from marshall county and i m tired of hearing people complain about how nobody can beat lipscomb and that they need to play private school league. SO WHAT!!! they re still on your region schedule and thats not gonna change anything this year so deal with it.