South Doyle @ Knoxville Halls

ZCAR

Well here we are the final dance for both these proud schools for this year. I know I'm a week early but lets keep this postive and talk about what to look forward to in this game and what it may mean for both programs for next year.

Will we see any Frosh play? If we do who would you like to see get a taste of the ol varsity friday night lights. I hope we see alot of faces in the mix this game.

A lot of seasoned seniors will be the leaving the Halls camp many having a good three years of football under their belt. A sad time but also a new beginning awaits them let really show our appreciation as they leave the field next friday night.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some thoughts as we wait on next week (I wanted to wait, but here goes):

- Someone asked earlier if you had a son in the eighth grade, would you let him stay at Halls?

- Check my posts and you will see I can be as critical as anyone. However, I can honestly answer that with a h_ _ _ ya!! Consider this:

- My son has played for coach Julian and staff. They have mentored my son in football and in life. I'm very PROUD of my son and coach J. He teaches the kids alot more than just ball. He leads by example both on and off the field. Other parents talk about their coaches demeanning kids, cussing kids, and the like. You will not get that from our coaches. My son is a better football player and MAN because of coach J.

- Also, we got second in the region last year to the 4-time stae champ Mville. What about this year? We went toe-to-toe with the #1 ranked team.(tied in the 4th quarter) We lost 4 games that went down to the final 2 minutes, and really could've gone our way. I know that is coach talk, but also consider: Our returning QB suffered a high ankle sprain in the 1st game. HUGE impact on the rest of the season. He was one of the fastest kids on team, and was poised to have a great senior year. We are just now starting to see what he can do when healthy.WR's dropped like flies, and every team we played took advantage of that. (At one time, top 5 were out) Mono hit this team like no one will know, at least 4-5 starters tested positive and played through it. Almost wonder how we were able to compete.

- Even with all that, we are four SMALL plays (everyone can point to big plays) away from sitting at 7-2 right now. This program is headed in the right direction, we just had one of those "perfect storm" type years. Trust me, this is not the norm. Our coaches are getting this program headed back, we just had a bump this year.

- You might say, "but you don't know how good my son is" - well, ask anyone who has a son that has played and we will tell you - Coach J works extremly hard to get our kids scholarships and post season awards. He calls people, sends tapes, and really goes the extra mile.

- I have talked to alot of people from other schools, and they are shocked to find out how hard Coach J has worked for my son and others. I'm talking about all-state players and Unapproved Website prospects. This extra work doesn't happen elsewhere very often.

- Finally, if you want your son to compete for championships, become a better man, and have plenty of good lifetime memories, he should stay at Halls.

If I haven't said so, thanks to the coaches for everything they have done for this group of seniors!! Good luck Halls.

Ironman just a great summation. I know you are very proud as we are of your son whomever that may be and what the Halls football program has meant to him and your family. I hope if anyone is considering this School that they get all the facts. It's just a great community spirited school. I hope nobody discounts a losing record as being a subpar program thats just not the case. We will have our peaks and valleys but in the long run it's what you make of the experience. Halls Football is a great experience to be a part of.

Good luck to all the seniors in whatever their future endeavours maybe.

I have both a senior and a sophomore and want to echo my thoughts about Coach J.

Kevin Julian is a fine man and I am proud he is my son's head coach for many of the reasons stated earlier by Ironman80. This program has come a long way just in the two seasons I've been around Red Devil Football.

Thanks also to Stadium Club President Tim Bright and many others for their absolutley countless "unpaid" hours of volunteer work.

I am so thankful for the new blood of volunteer parents who helped so much this year in the concession stand, painting the field, helping raise money, feeding the team, working on special projects, etc...

I'm happy for our seniors to be practicing still with so much enthusiasm and love of the game and equally excited for next year to be one where the ball bounces more in our direction for those returning (JRs, SOs, and FR). For those thinking about leaving; good riddence. The grass is rarely greener on the other side. I, for one, think it's darn near criminal to talk one's son into transferring, leaving his friends, and starting over again, just because a father thinks his son isn't getting a fair shake on the field. I have always told my sons...

"If you aren't getting the game time you think you deserve, play harder and prove yourself on the field. Coaches don't bench players who make things happen; and if you do wind up on the bench, be the best leader on the sidelines you can be until you get your next shot! You're not a true team player if you're only a team player when things are going your way."

Now, if there are also off the field issues, then I will be the first to admit no one knows a young man like his own father, or at least, that's the way it should be? If someone leaves, I honestly wish them well, plan to remain friends with the parent(s) despite having less interaction with them, and hope that the change does them some good in the long run. But to leave for purely football reasons makes one wonder about motivations and life priorities?

This is a great place for young men to learn the game, play the game, and prepare themselves for what lies beyond HS; and oh by the way, there is plenty of potential here for championships too.

All I can add are two points (pieces of constructive criticism):

1. It is my sincere desire that parents avoid the politics of HS football as it tends to send a bad message to the kids, makes the coach's jobs more difficult, and it really has no impact on who plays anyway as Kevin does what he's going to do regardless of parental pressure; rightfully so. Next year, let's get our attitude right as parents first, support our coaches 100%, and it WILL trickle down to the boys; it always does. I know of 3 or 4 fathers, who I admire and whose company I truly enjoy who have allowed themselves to get caught up in a little living vicariously. All I can say to them is, please rethink your expectations and check your motivations in the parking lot before you come to a practice, a game, a meeting, or any football related event. You'll be glad you did.

2. I'm no coach, but IMO, the Wing-T should be re-evaluated as our offense. Defenses are too sophisticated these days to rely on such a one dimmensional attack. That said, whatever the coaches do, it is our job as parents to support it and encourage our boys to do the same. Attitude and execution are much more important anyway than the game plan itself. If the Wing-T is what we will have out of tradition, or whatever, then lets be sure to develop a serious passing threat too, whatever it takes, otherwise the better teams on our schedule will stack the box and shut us down no matter how well we execute. We'll end up blowing the weaker teams out and losing just enough games again (to the better teams) to be left out of post-season play.

Meet ya'll on the High Ground...

btgoG,

You make some good points. What matter does it make what offense you are gona run if you cant get the players to run it correctly? One back, wing t, option, power they all come down to one thing, can you get the kids to run it right. If you can then youa are gonna win, if not you are gonna loose. You must be able to pass and run in football. I dont know if the little fellar knows how to teach passing to a QB, other than just threw a fade down the sideline.

Some thoughts as we wait on next week (I wanted to wait, but here goes):

- Someone asked earlier if you had a son in the eighth grade, would you let him stay at Halls?

- Check my posts and you will see I can be as critical as anyone. However, I can honestly answer that with a h_ _ _ ya!! Consider this:

- My son has played for coach Julian and staff. They have mentored my son in football and in life. I'm very PROUD of my son and coach J. He teaches the kids alot more than just ball. He leads by example both on and off the field. Other parents talk about their coaches demeanning kids, cussing kids, and the like. You will not get that from our coaches. My son is a better football player and MAN because of coach J.

- Also, we got second in the region last year to the 4-time stae champ Mville. What about this year? We went toe-to-toe with the #1 ranked team.(tied in the 4th quarter) We lost 4 games that went down to the final 2 minutes, and really could've gone our way. I know that is coach talk, but also consider: Our returning QB suffered a high ankle sprain in the 1st game. HUGE impact on the rest of the season. He was one of the fastest kids on team, and was poised to have a great senior year. We are just now starting to see what he can do when healthy.WR's dropped like flies, and every team we played took advantage of that. (At one time, top 5 were out) Mono hit this team like no one will know, at least 4-5 starters tested positive and played through it. Almost wonder how we were able to compete.

- Even with all that, we are four SMALL plays (everyone can point to big plays) away from sitting at 7-2 right now. This program is headed in the right direction, we just had one of those "perfect storm" type years. Trust me, this is not the norm. Our coaches are getting this program headed back, we just had a bump this year.

- You might say, "but you don't know how good my son is" - well, ask anyone who has a son that has played and we will tell you - Coach J works extremly hard to get our kids scholarships and post season awards. He calls people, sends tapes, and really goes the extra mile.

- I have talked to alot of people from other schools, and they are shocked to find out how hard Coach J has worked for my son and others. I'm talking about all-state players and Unapproved Website prospects. This extra work doesn't happen elsewhere very often.

- Finally, if you want your son to compete for championships, become a better man, and have plenty of good lifetime memories, he should stay at Halls.

If I haven't said so, thanks to the coaches for everything they have done for this group of seniors!! Good luck Halls.

as a complete outsider, i think this is a great post. also, i agree with you that halls kids should stay in halls. as a former clinton player and a clinton fan, i've never liked halls, because they're always tough, a GREAT program with great tradition, and they win and lose with dignity.

seriously, i think that this season has just been an aberration for the devils, and i'm sure you guys will be back soon, competing for region titles and possibly more. your community will not stand for less.

as a complete outsider, i think this is a great post. also, i agree with you that halls kids should stay in halls. as a former clinton player and a clinton fan, i've never liked halls, because they're always tough, a GREAT program with great tradition, and they win and lose with dignity.

seriously, i think that this season has just been an aberration for the devils, and i'm sure you guys will be back soon, competing for region titles and possibly more. your community will not stand for less.

I agree with smitty. Kids leaving Halls and going somewhere else to play or quit and not play at all will not help this Halls program get back on top. You have to stick it out through the good times and the bad. Only good things are going to come for Halls in the future.