South Doyle @ Knoxville Halls

ZCAR

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About time we dominated somebody, even if it was a bottom feeder. Now if I understand the T$$AA right, you have to have 3 weeks off with no weight lifting. ANOTHER STUPID MOVE CLINTABBOTT, by the T$$AA. Get into the weight room and lift. There are nobody in this state that is going to take three weeks off from working out and getting stronger.

Just a thought for next year...lets all keep our big mouths shut about how good will be and let the talk be about other teams.

Congrats to all the Halls seniors on a fine game. Two cents:

- Shame on Jr Zach Gibson - on senior night he stole the show ( about 110-120 yards rushing on 7 carries??) JK. On a serious note, does he make our offense go or what? Finally, getting some huge gains on holes that have been there all year. Good game Zach!

- Thought he and #23 (Waggoner) showed a great combination - speed and power. (Was this the only game we two 100 yard rushers?) It would have been nice if we could have figured that out - say maybe after the Sevier County game. Good year #23!

- Did anyone else notice the WR's lined up and played in a grasshopper type rotation - six guys playing then going to the back of the line? Not sure any other high schols do this, maybe that explains why our leading receiver had five receptions for the year. It seems we feel this is an unimportant position, thus like in hoppers - just try to let guys get on the field.

- Also, not trying to sound to negative, but next year if we are going to be succesful, we really need to figure out who the best 11 are, and have them on the field. We can't waste a WR spot on some plays, then wonder why we lose every close game. Next we need to figure out who is the best "gamer" at RB, and who gets the tough yards in the 4th quarter. Finally, passes down the field, not to the sidelines. Pass on downs no one expects (i.e. 2nd and short). It may not work in the short run, but long term it will keep the defenses honest.

- Again, thanks to the coaches for evrything they have done. As stated earlier, I believe this program is headed in the right direction. I just feel like we missed out on several small things this year. Nothing that can't be fixed. Next year begins today.

- I'll leave you with something my Daddy taught me (and tried to pass on to my son) - "I might lose to someone that is better than me, but I WILL NEVER LOSE to someone that worked harder than me". That applies to both playing and coaching.

If we wont to get in the playoffs next year we have got to make some changes. Play calling, stratgery, getting the right players on the field ALL THE TIME. We have tons of work to do, so just do it. It maight ###### some people off but so be it. No more Mr. Niceguy.

Take up equipment, meet about the weight program, get the offence straight out, learn to play pass defence against GOOD teams, not just against teams that cant throw a lick.

Some balance needs to be achieved. Or.............

Who wants to play QB if we don't throw?

Who wants to play receiver if we don't have a QB that has any confidence in passing?

Ultimately do we lose the Skill players that don't run the ball because of our sell out to the run. I agree with Devilsden we need more than a good defense and running game to win against the big boys in this district now. We can't live in the seventies and eighties and think we can relive those memories again those days have come and gone.

Some balance needs to be achieved. Or.............

Who wants to play QB if we don't throw?

Who wants to play receiver if we don't have a QB that has any confidence in passing?

Ultimately do we lose the Skill players that don't run the ball because of our sell out to the run. I agree with Devilsden we need more than a good defense and running game to win against the big boys in this district now. We can't live in the seventies and eighties and think we can relive those memories again those days have come and gone.

I disagree, I believe we tried to throw too much. Now before all of you coacht coachs go off and give me "the game has changed" speech here me out on this. How many games did we lose that were within 1 touchdown in the 4th quarter? .... 5 out of 6 (clinton was ahead by 10) How many times did we end up punting when we tried to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down? .... I'll take and educated guess and say between 90 and 95 percent of the time. So let's do some math, 1 pass equals 1 punt, 1 punt costs our team 1 drive, 1 drive may result in 1 touchdown. Again how many times would have 1 touchdown changed the outcome of the game? It wasn't obvious to see that we were incapable of passing the ball this year, so why did we still continue to try? Football is a simple game, the team that goes forward wins. The team that doesn't loses. If we just would have done what our team could do, Halls would be sitting at either 8-2 or 9-1 and would be getting ready to play Walker Valley this friday.

sx123,

If what you say is true, then we dont need a QB, we just need someone to hand the ball off. Dont use Wr's, just line up extra linemen outside and let them be blockers. Or better yet, dont have any WR's, just use all linemen. Why do we need a tight end? Just put a big lineman there as a blocker.

Golly lee, your so smart. Now why couldnt the rest of the wanttobe coaches have figured that out?

I think this was the topic every year at the end of the year for the past 15 years. I have seen 12 year olds with a better passing game. Last year it made the difference though. This is the same staff that has been doing this for 10 years now. I would try to go find me an offensive guy that could bring some mix. Halls is and always will be known for its big, strong, physical linemen. This is a benefit in the running game and passing game.

Leonard, in your opinion, who would be on a short list of people you would try to bring in. Obviously this assumes that the head coach will fire/demote your current OC. Be mindful though, any current coach in Knox county would not get 1 penny more to move to Halls (no financial incentive, coach would be looking for a "better" situation). Also coaches from Anderson, Oak Ridge, Clinton, Blount County, Alcoa, Maryville, Sevier County, Lenoir City, and Roane County will take a pay DECREASE to coach your beloved devils. Private schools depend on the school so there is no published data. With this in mind...who would you target?

Also, in your thought process and the process of other posters, is it important that the assistant coaches be teachers in the school building? If you answer "yes", your coaching search will be confined to certified openings at your high school. If you answer "no", this doesn't matter in your search.

I disagree, I believe we tried to throw too much. Now before all of you coacht coachs go off and give me "the game has changed" speech here me out on this. How many games did we lose that were within 1 touchdown in the 4th quarter? .... 5 out of 6 (clinton was ahead by 10) How many times did we end up punting when we tried to throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down? .... I'll take and educated guess and say between 90 and 95 percent of the time. So let's do some math, 1 pass equals 1 punt, 1 punt costs our team 1 drive, 1 drive may result in 1 touchdown. Again how many times would have 1 touchdown changed the outcome of the game? It wasn't obvious to see that we were incapable of passing the ball this year, so why did we still continue to try? Football is a simple game, the team that goes forward wins. The team that doesn't loses. If we just would have done what our team could do, Halls would be sitting at either 8-2 or 9-1 and would be getting ready to play Walker Valley this friday.

I appreciate your post but that is the type of mentally that keeps us being a under acheiver. The fact is we lost all those games not because we passed the ball five times a game it's because the personel wasn't positioned to execute and no confidence in the passing game. Now with a new look offense(Powell,Clinton anyone) could we have beaten the same opponents by 10 to 15 points a game and stroll in the fourth quarter. I tend to agree with devilsden what the heck do we need a QB or receivers if we use a G-gun approach like UT(oops very bad comparison this year) But times have changed if we want to play close and lose to lesser teams with one or two playmakers on their team then so be it. The big reason why we even stayed close in many of those game was our defense not our offense and sadly we lose a lot on defense. Even the last game interceptions set up two scores. Not picking on any kids but many posters here have noted the overlooked runningbacks McGill and Gibson. Look what Gibson did last Friday night. Could that be some of the reason why we lost some of the close games this year?

ZCAR, do you feel that your current coaching staff has the knowledge, skill, and/or ability to change their offense? Also what specifically would you change. It is easy for all of us non coaches to say throw the ball more, open up the offense, spread it out, etc. Specifically, what do you think this would involve? Another question, does Powell's offense run because of the scheme is some much better than yours or because Kier Houston is so much better than your defensive players? The same could be said for the Stone kid from Clinton. Both are truely amazing.