Region 7 4A versus Region 8 4A

therealgame

Thanks for your input on this thread. It makes for interesting and nerve racking reading. I get the feeling you think Melrose is going to win it all with the addition of the new running back. Do you have any questions about our region, or Henry County in particular? How do you expect Kingsbury to do against Munford? Where is TraderB?

I am a supporter of schools from Memphis, no doubt; but I try to be unbias in my commentary. Honestly, I think Melrose, Fairley, and East all have the ABILITY to win it all. The addition of the new RB at Melrose increases their chances in my book. I think that Henry County has the ABILITY to win it all as well. I don't think that about the other playoff teams in 7-4A, but that is just the opinion I have developed from reading comentary on Coacht and looking at the scores. I think that whoever makes it out of the 7 vs 8 braket will probably have to face Hillsboro or Maplewood ... and that is another task altogether.

I don't have any questions about your region. I've read plenty about Henry County and 7-4A on Coacht. I expect Kingsbury to beat Munford. I expect Gabriel Hunter to get somewhere between 200 and 250 yards unless they pull him early for some reason. I guess you already saw TraderB by now.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If EW becomes a viable player for Melrose, then I will be interested to hear from you and TraderB, how the team receives him. Is he a team player? That would seem to be a REAL question since he seems to be a free agent of sorts, as he jumps arond from team to team. When I say free agent, I mean no disrespect to the young man, I simply think of a baseball player these days, who jumps from team to team, rather than the old loyalties that existed in the 1960s among players. Do the Melrose players feel a kinship to this young man or do they feel a sense of loyalty to the starter of the last two years? Can EW be a disruptive force within the team, or will the Melrose players simply view him as a tool with which to win a title, and to heck with the real Golden Wildcat who has been there for the duration? I think these are valid concerns and questions, and I will be interested to hear your answer, and that of TraderB.

Based on the Father's comments to the Commercial Appeal several months ago (concerning Eric's football future & transfer to Olive Branch HS), I'm convinced that Eric's "team-hopping" is soley a function of the Dad's selfish motives, not Eric's.

As for Eric's character...for what it's worth, I have read (on this board and the Mississippi board) that Eric is a good kid with a good attitude, and is a team player.

If that is indeed the case, then my gut tells me that the Melrose players will have no trouble warming up to him and accepting him into the "fold." Therefore, I don't forsee any sort of "real Golden Wildcat" issues.... I really think that once Eric gets to know his fellow teammates (and vice versa) and starts to open up to them, about his situation, then they'll develop an even deeper bond. The team will rally around him.

The current starting RB, Gabriel Nash, might be more reluctant than anybody else to welcome Eric's to the team....Initially, anyway.

I mean -- let's keep it real, here: Eric Watson is at least 2-times better a RB than is Nash! Easily (this is an issue on which Kwc and I disagree, to some degree).

It's only natural that Nash will feel a bit threatned by Eric's arrival. He'll get over it, however, once he comes to realize that he (Nash) will not just get thrown out with the bathwater! Both of them will get their share of touches. Both of them will play a vital role in the team's offensive strategy, going forward.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps some of Eric's former CBHS teammates &/or knowledgeable fans could weigh in, on this issue...

Thanks for returning TraderB. I probably dont know as much football as you and kwc but I will give it a try....

Thanks for the compliment, RealGame, but -- Trust me: I'm just another loquacious, "Shade Tree, Monday-Morning Quarterback" who likes to shoot off at the mouth about anything and everything football, especially High School Football!

At the end of the day, I definitely don't know Jack /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

------------------------------------------------------------------

I enjoy getting on these boards, learning about different teams, and sharing opinions and viewpoints with other fanatics. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Indeed it is, and my feelilngs are not hurt, just reading all your negative posts about Henry county fans makes for not very interesting reading.

I would like to add not to underestimate Liberty, they have the capability to beat any of the region 8 teams.

From what i have seen and heard, it seems as if there has been some inconsistency in play from the region 8 schools. If they do not show up and play well then Liberty can and will win.

Warrior please do not jump to round 3 with two regular season games left to play, if i recall you reprimanded Patriot fans for speculating on future games when we had a game at hand. But since you are a former coach, it is appropriate for you to do such things, but lets criticize others for the same behavior. Since I enjoy speculating on games ondown the road, I am going to say if Liberty finishes 2nd in the region, they have a great chance of winning at home against any opponent.

This underscores just how crucial the Melrose/East game will be, in two weeks. The loser will have to go on the road to play Liberty (in all likelihood), with a bona fide chance of getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs!

It that turns out to be Melrose...and they lose -- in the FIRST round, no less.... Expect a whole bunch of folks in the Orange Mound community to storm into the Melrose Principal's office on Monday, and DEMAND a new Coach!

We shall see....

This underscores just how crucial the Melrose/East game will be, in two weeks. The loser will have to go on the road to play Liberty (in all likelihood), with a bona fide chance of getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs!

It that turns out to be Melrose...and they lose -- in the FIRST round, no less.... Expect a whole bunch of folks in the Orange Mound community to storm into the Melrose Principal's office on Monday, and DEMAND a new Coach!

We shall see....

Melrose will win in the first round EASILY no matter who they play!

Melrose will win in the first round EASILY no matter who they play!

By what do you base this on.

This is my take on these two regions, Melrose is the best team in 8-4a with Fairley and East the second and third best. All are very tight and there is probably not a nickels worth of difference in any of them, Melrose is just a proven winner. East is the shocker and Fairley is capable of beating anyone.

I went back and looked at some numbers over the last two seasons from Melrose

06 numbers

Melrose averaged 24.9 points per game and gave up 8.2 points per game

against Henry county the offensive numbers for Melrose stayed steady as they scored 28 points

defensively they gave up 35

07 numbers

Melrose averaged scoring 26.7 and giving up 4.1

The scoring average again was very similar as they scored 26 but the Patriots scored 27

both years Henry county scored between 3-4 tds more than Melrose had been giving up.

06 Henry numbers

Patriots avg. 27.5 points and gave up 16

against Melrose the Patriots scored 35 and gave up 28

Patriots averaged 41.5 and gave up 14.75 a game

against Melrose the Patriots scored 27 and gave up 26

with both years considered Melrose held the patriots a little below their average and scored 12 each year than the Patriots had beeen allowing.

I am pretty sure that these numbers are totally meaningless but pretending that they tell a story.

this is my prediction for this years match up between HC and Melrose

08 numbers

by looking at Melrose avg of 28.75 points per game and giving up 11.6

HC scoring 46.5 and giving up 6.75

I took Melroses offensive avg like and then gave them the 12 more a year that they have scored agains HC points allowed avg, added those two together and came up with 24 points for Melrose

I took HC points avg and deducted 3.5 points and then I took what Melrose was giving up and added 3.5 tds as has been the pattern averaged thsoe two and came up with HC scoring 39.5

My prediction for the game is HC 39.5 Melrose 24

and yes I had some free time this morning

This is my take on these two regions, Melrose is the best team in 8-4a with Fairley and East the second and third best. All are very tight and there is probably not a nickels worth of difference in any of them, Melrose is just a proven winner. East is the shocker and Fairley is capable of beating anyone.

06 numbers

against Henry county the offensive numbers for Melrose stayed steady as they scored 28 points

07 numbers

The scoring average again was very similar as they scored 26 but the Patriots scored 27

both years Henry county scored between 3-4 tds more than Melrose had been giving up.

06 Henry numbers

with both years considered Melrose held the patriots a little below their average and scored 12 each year than the Patriots had beeen allowing.

I am pretty sure that these numbers are totally meaningless but pretending that they tell a story.

08 numbers

I took Melroses offensive avg like and then gave them the 12 more a year that they have scored agains HC points allowed avg, added those two together and came up with 24 points for Melrose

I took HC points avg and deducted 3.5 points and then I took what Melrose was giving up and added 3.5 tds as has been the pattern averaged thsoe two and came up with HC scoring 39.5

I dont care what happened last year. This is the only year that counys and I just have the feeling that the top three teams in Region 8 will destroy the 2-3-4 teams in Region 7.

06 numbers

07 numbers

06 Henry numbers

08 numbers

I like your number analogy ... but how does this address Melrose winning easily in the first round question? Are you proposing that HC and Melrose will play in the 1st round? I don't think you mean that. As far as East being a shocker ... if you look at East's history you will see where they played in the 4A championship games two years in a row ... and won it one year. That was at the end of the 90's I believe ... or early 2000's. Last year they had the coaching situation ... but traditionally ... East has always fielded very good teams. The jury was out because of the coaching situation last year ... but they always have had the athletes. Now they don't have the coaching distractions and they are putting a good product on the field as they should.

I doubt very seriously that HC will put 39.5 on Melrose. I know HC's offense if very good ... but nobody is going to put 39.5 on Melrose. Nobody. The game will be a WHOLE lot closer then that if they play. HC may win. Melrose may win. I wouldn't be surprised if the game were in the teens ... 16-14 ... something like that. You have your opinion ... I have mine.

Why this concentration on Melrose guys? Fairley and East are JUST AS GOOD. It will all play out eventually who ever HC has to face ... they will ALL be good games.

I like your number analogy ... but how does this address Melrose winning easily in the first round question? Are you proposing that HC and Melrose will play in the 1st round? I don't think you mean that. As far as East being a shocker ... if you look at East's history you will see where they played in the 4A championship games two years in a row ... and won it one year. That was at the end of the 90's I believe ... or early 2000's. Last year they had the coaching situation ... but traditionally ... East has always fielded very good teams. The jury was out because of the coaching situation last year ... but they always have had the athletes. Now they don't have the coaching distractions and they are putting a good product on the field as they should.

I doubt very seriously that HC will put 39.5 on Melrose. I know HC's offense if very good ... but nobody is going to put 39.5 on Melrose. Nobody. The game will be a WHOLE lot closer then that if they play. HC may win. Melrose may win. I wouldn't be surprised if the game were in the teens ... 16-14 ... something like that. You have your opinion ... I have mine.

Why this concentration on Melrose guys? Fairley and East are JUST AS GOOD. It will all play out eventually who ever HC has to face ... they will ALL be good games.

Nobody will put 39.5 on anybody.

Is Melrose still looking for more transfers to help out this year?

Nobody will put 39.5 on anybody.

Is Melrose still looking for more transfers to help out this year?

Before I reply let me just say that I am not a Melrose alum, but I support City of Memphis school HS football. Your quote is out of context completely. There is a whole thread concerning the young man who transfered to Melrose and NOBODY went looking for transfers to help. He ended up at Melrose ... but he could have very well ended up at Whitehaven or Kirby. Go read the thread on it and educate yourself. Somehow ... I think you already have and you were just trying to throw out a zinger towards the Melrose program. By all means ... if that was your goal ... mission accomplished.