Z Plan

croz6110

I was looking at the district breakdowns, and I came up with a question.

In Class A, which will be comprised of 1A and 2A teams, I noticed there are some districts with only one 1A team or only one 2A team.

From what I read about the playoffs next year, you're guaranteed playoffs if you place in the top 2 in the district or if you're a 1A team and you defeat all the other 1A teams in your district. Same for 2A teams.

If there is only one 1A or 2A team in a district, do they get a guaranteed playoff spot, even if they don't win a game in the district.

They would be the top team in their class within the district.

Help me out people.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at the district breakdowns, and I came up with a question.

In Class A, which will be comprised of 1A and 2A teams, I noticed there are some districts with only one 1A team or only one 2A team.

From what I read about the playoffs next year, you're guaranteed playoffs if you place in the top 2 in the district or if you're a 1A team and you defeat all the other 1A teams in your district. Same for 2A teams.

If there is only one 1A or 2A team in a district, do they get a guaranteed playoff spot, even if they don't win a game in the district.

They would be the top team in their class within the district.

Help me out people.

No, it won't work that way. I think it is more like this:

Let's use this as an example. In district x you have TeamA, TeamB for 1A and TeamC for 2A. If TeamA beats both TeamB and TeamC and if TeamB beats TeamC then TeamA and TeamB will go to the playoffs while TeamC will have to hope for a wild card since they did not finish in the top 2. Teams A and B did.

What you have to do is take out the 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A during the regular season and just view it as A, AA, and AAA. Consider every team in the districts as being on even ground until the playoffs get here.

Let's use this as an example. In district x you have TeamA, TeamB for 1A and TeamC for 2A. If TeamA beats both TeamB and TeamC and if TeamB beats TeamC then TeamA and TeamB will go to the playoffs while TeamC will have to hope for a wild card since they did not finish in the top 2. Teams A and B did.

What you have to do is take out the 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A and 6A during the regular season and just view it as A, AA, and AAA. Consider every team in the districts as being on even ground until the playoffs get here.

well thats as clear as mud. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

districts or regions where did you find the information?

Districts.

I had to search for it. I got it off of a newspaper website.

I read somewhere,Tennessean I think, that if a 2A team beats all the 2A teams in their district, they get a playoff spot. That is a 2A team in class A.

Here..... Let me clear it up for you..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> This from the June Board or Control meeting......

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3

automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards based on TSSAA tiebreakers

5. In 6A, there is the rare possibility that you have 25 automatic qualifiers.

Districts 1, 2, 3, 6, 8, 9, 10, and 16 where there is 1 qualifier and another 6A

team could finish 2nd. If this occurred in all 8 districts, you would have 33

qualifiers. In the unlikely event that this would happen, you would apply the

tiebreaker criteria to those 8 teams to determine the 7 qualifiers to complete the

32-team bracket.

6. The 32 teams are then placed geographically in 4 quadrants with 8

teams in each quadrant in 6A, 5A, 4A, and 3A. In 2A and 1A there are 6 in each

quadrant with the top 2 seeds drawing a bye in the first round.

7. The eight teams (6 in 2A and 1A) are placed in the bracket so that no

teams from the same district play each other in the first round except when there

are 5 or more teams from the same district. Placements are then done with

priorities given to automatic qualifiers based on their district finish followed by

Wild Cards. There may be times where teams have to be placed other than their

order of district finish to avoid teams from the same district meeting in the first

round.

8. The team with the higher seed will host throughout the first three rounds.

In the semifinals, the top team in the bracket will host in odd years and the team

in the bottom bracket will host in even years. (Exceptions: If the two teams are

from the same district, the higher finishing team in district standings shall host.)

H. Directed state office to bring back plan on how the tournament format would

look if you use the same plan for football for other sports (basketball, baseball,

softball, and volleyball).

Hope this helped..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

It looks like that in 1A it is possible that pretty much all teams could be picked by wild cards if no 1A teams win their district.

they way i read it, if a district has at least three 1A teams then one of those would be an automatic qualifier regardless of whether they finished 1 or 2 in the district.

they way i read it, if a district has at least three 1A teams then one of those would be an automatic qualifier regardless of whether they finished 1 or 2 in the district.

If there were 3 2a teams and 3 1a teams in a district...and the 3 of the 2a teams finished higher than the 1a teams...the 1a teams would not have an automatic qualifier.

Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3

automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

half of the teams in each group in each district

so if an 8 team district has four 1A and four 2A teams then half of each group would be automatic qualifiers.