Greeneville moving down

FormerDevil

Only found a little discussion about this in the Gville vs East thread, so I thought I would start this one up. The main question I have is, who will be in their conference? Will they be against the other county schools? And how does everybody feel about this? Personally, I'm going to miss all the rivalries that will be left behind. Also, while it will give the best shot at winning, I feel it is a step backwards. We were doing just fine in 4A, why mess with success? Anyways, thoughts please

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only found a little discussion about this in the Gville vs East thread, so I thought I would start this one up. The main question I have is, who will be in their conference? Will they be against the other county schools? And how does everybody feel about this? Personally, I'm going to miss all the rivalries that will be left behind. Also, while it will give the best shot at winning, I feel it is a step backwards. We were doing just fine in 4A, why mess with success? Anyways, thoughts please

From what I have read, Greeneville will be in a district with us (Union Co.), Claiborne, and Grainger Co.; the other district in the region may be Chuckey Doak, Cumberland Gap, and two of the Greene Co. teams (can't remember which two among North, South, and West Greene).

How do you figure its a step backwards? We win conference championships and fall in regionals to schools with larger enrollment, bigger rosters and more depth. At least playing comparably sized schools, our chances of advancing past regionals is greatly improved. I think being successful @ 2A will ultimately help grow the program and reach its full potential. The new coach, field and facilities are just the beginning.

Greeneville has requested to be placed in region 1, the make-up which is still to be determined, but which currently does not include the other Greene County schools. The school released the following statement concerning the move

http://greenevillefootball.com/release.htm.

Personally, I believe region 1 would be more competitive for Greeneville since Elizabethton, Unicoi , Johnson county. and Sullivan East had also played up into 4A prior to reclassification. It would be nice to see 'ol Betsy back on the schedule.

Region 1 2A consists of Gatlinburg Pitman, Happy Valley, Cumberland Gap, and all the Greene County schools. Where do Elizabethton and the other schools you mentioned factor into this, and how would they not be against the other area schools?

As for a step back, look at all the rivalries being ended with the move. No more East and West games that people look foward to all year. Sure, we will make new rivalries, but chances are they wont compare. 2a is also a much smaller stage than 4a. The atmosphere is completely different, at least imo. I've been to a few, and it just doesnt compare. And for the playoff situation, surely if McCurry is all he is cracked up to be(which he is imo) he would have them to the Boro sooner than later. Idk though, maybe I'm just looking at this from the perspective of a former player, cuz I know I wouldnt want to be moving down

Region 1 2A consists of Gatlinburg Pitman, Happy Valley, Cumberland Gap, and all the Greene County schools. Where do Elizabethton and the other schools you mentioned factor into this, and how would they not be against the other area schools?

As for a step back, look at all the rivalries being ended with the move. No more East and West games that people look foward to all year. Sure, we will make new rivalries, but chances are they wont compare. 2a is also a much smaller stage than 4a. The atmosphere is completely different, at least imo. I've been to a few, and it just doesnt compare. And for the playoff situation, surely if McCurry is all he is cracked up to be(which he is imo) he would have them to the Boro sooner than later. Idk though, maybe I'm just looking at this from the perspective of a former player, cuz I know I wouldnt want to be moving down

You do realize TSSAA has reclassified everyone into 3 classes going forward don't you? The schools you listed become region 2AA. Region 1 should consist of Sullivan North and East, Elizabethton,Johnson County, Happy Valley, and possibly Unicoi County or Greeneville. With this scenario there will be 4 non-conference games. I would be willing to bet at least 2 of those would be Morristown.

Seriously, Coach Mac is a premier coach with the ability to build a premeir program but unless Greeneville can double the size of their squad, there is no way to compete with the likes of Maryville. Too much depth.

Maybe this will help sort some of this mess out...

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/2009Classes.htm

No, the three clasifications is new to me, and it makes more sense now. One question I still have though, is in that link you gave it will have Division 1 AA, then have 3A and 4A schools listed. Are they doing something similar to a big school small school type playoff?

The Division 1 AA is for all other sports beside football. They are still using the A AA and AAA for an example basketball. As far as football goes A consists of 1A and 2A, AA consists of 3A and 4A, and AAA consists of 5A and 6A. We will be playing 3A and 4A schools during the regular season and then the out of conference games such as Mo East, Mo West, and hopefully Sullivan South so all the rivalry isn't lost. Coach McCurry will schedule tough outside conference teams to get ready for play-offs. When play-off time comes you will only be playing teams in 4A

The Division 1 AA is for all other sports beside football. They are still using the A AA and AAA for an example basketball. As far as football goes A consists of 1A and 2A, AA consists of 3A and 4A, and AAA consists of 5A and 6A. We will be playing 3A and 4A schools during the regular season and then the out of conference games such as Mo East, Mo West, and hopefully Sullivan South so all the rivalry isn't lost. Coach McCurry will schedule tough outside conference teams to get ready for play-offs. When play-off time comes you will only be playing teams in 4A

Thanks Mr. Duncan, that post has made the most sense to me out of all lol. You playin college sports anywhere?

If we had been small school the last few year, I might have had the opportunity to have watched you at the state baseball tourney or state football finals /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Besides football, this was a big picture move for GHS. Only one head coach at GHS opposed this move, so it had almost 100% support across the board.

You do realize TSSAA has reclassified everyone into 3 classes going forward don't you? The schools you listed become region 2AA. Region 1 should consist of Sullivan North and East, Elizabethton,Johnson County, Happy Valley, and possibly Unicoi County or Greeneville. With this scenario there will be 4 non-conference games. I would be willing to bet at least 2 of those would be Morristown.

Seriously, Coach Mac is a premier coach with the ability to build a premeir program but unless Greeneville can double the size of their squad, there is no way to compete with the likes of Maryville. Too much depth.

Maybe this will help sort some of this mess out...

http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/2009Classes.htm

Good post /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think this is a good move for Greeneville. I believe if we had been playing in our classifiaction the past few years, we would have placed well if not won some state titiles. Escpecially in Girls & Boys soccer, Baseball & Wrestling. When we start contending past regionals there will be a increase in student coming out for teams. Also a increase in community support. Everyone wants to be part off or associated with a winning team. So many times Maryville has been used as a example of what Greeneville needs to strive to be like. This is a step that way. I believe they have played their classification and grown great teams.