Why do the Privates dominate A/AA Girl's Soccer

DonCChatt

After Saturday, we'll have the teams decided for this year's State Soccer Tournament. As A/AA is the only division with both public and private schools, I'll focus my attention on just that bracket. Currently, there are 16 teams in the post-season, 9 private and 7 public.

Looking at the all the schools in A/AA girl??™s soccer, there appear to be around 100 schools, with about 1/3 of the private and the rest public. Somebody might have the exact numbers and breakdown (if so, please post it).

Overall private == ~ 33%

In Post Season 56%

After Saturday, there could easily be 6 or 7 or even 8 of the remaining teams private (75% - 100%). Looking at who made it to state that were private in the past, in 2007 it was 8 of 8, in 2006 it was 6 of 8, and in 2005 it was 5/8 and in 2004 it was 7 of 8. Overall, that??™s an average of 81%. Why so high?

Looking at Boy's soccer, you don't see that same level of dominance, with the same years being 5/8, 5/8, 5/8, and 4/8 (or 59%). For Volleyball, it's 2/8 in 2008, then 4/8, 4/8, 4/8 and 5/8 or only 48%.

I would image we will see the usual arguments about unfair advantage, recruiting, cherry picking, etc, but if this were the answer, why isn't it repeated to the same degree in boy's soccer or volleyball?

What is so different about girl's soccer?

Club participation (which costs money) is certainly a factor in the public/private argument, but IMO, that is more an issue of urban/suburban vs. rural (and most A/AA privates are located in or near the bigger cities while most of the A/AA publics tend to be located in more rural areas). I think it can be argued that more club players equals better teams, and more D1 club players (versus D2 or D3) equals better teams. That and the generally higher sports participation at private schools in general might explain some/most of the public/private debate, but there has to be more that explains the girl's soccer numbers? I honestly don't know what that might be.

I'm hoping for some honest debate.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take a shot at this....

Rec Soccer for the most part is still a white collar sport (but I have noticed it beganning to change somewhat), But club ball still is. Most white collar Moms and Dads are not happy with the current public school education and send their children to private schools. Conclusion...More club players end up in private schools.

Club soccer. If you would look at the percentages that play club ball in the off season, I would imagine that the higher percentage you have on your high school teams, the higher the success level of the program. MVM, you should look into finding out the real data to that. (Not like you work or anything!)

I'll take a shot at this....

Rec Soccer for the most part is still a white collar sport (but I have noticed it beganning to change somewhat), But club ball still is. Most white collar Moms and Dads are not happy with the current public school education and send their children to private schools. Conclusion...More club players end up in private schools.

I don't disagree with this, but why Girl's soccer and not Boy's?

I don't usually post, but I thought I would have a crack at this one. Coaching is the answer. In addition to having more club players most private schools hire better coaches. A large number of high schools in the state do not anyone but teachers to be coaches and sometimes those teachers are good coaches and sometimes not. A great example was the Catholic and Seymour game. Catholic moved the ball better and looked more organized during the game, but Seymour had better players and even though they weren't as organized they had enough technical skill and motivation to win the game.

I don't disagree with this, but why Girl's soccer and not Boy's?

The first thing you need to do is find someone who understands statistics well enough to tell you whether the results are truly statistically different, when factoring in such things as sample error, etc.

If in fact the results show a statistically valid difference, then my speculation would be that a second level sociological difference or differences, such as parents in affluent families encouraging female leadership which would include sports participation, is/are the cause(s).

Also, I must say that I am surprised these posts have not raised the ire of the board police, who have always shooed these discussions to the public/private board. I'm not against it, I'm just surprised.

Also, I must say that I am surprised these posts have not raised the ire of the board police, who have always shooed these discussions to the public/private board. I'm not against it, I'm just surprised.

They don't necessarily draw "ire", we have just been asked to keep these debates on the board that is made for it.

I think it is a fairly obvious answer. The boys are few in numbers in high school given the number of male athletes. The majority of the male athletes are in the 3 major sports. Some cross to soccer from FB, but not many. Therefore it is hard to consolidate any significant numbers for males at private school in soccer. It could be argued that soccer is the major female sport, especially when you look at numbers. The more affulent the zone, the more likelyhood of a concentration of female soccer players. Those same families may have the desire to go private, as well as the means to do so.

The first thing you need to do is find someone who understands statistics well enough to tell you whether the results are truly statistically different, when factoring in such things as sample error, etc.

If in fact the results show a statistically valid difference, then my speculation would be that a second level sociological difference or differences, such as parents in affluent families encouraging female leadership which would include sports participation, is/are the cause(s).

With that understanding, how do you feel Pennsylvania will go?

DonC, I don't quite understand your question. It seems to be the same percentage of privates make the state tournament in guys soccer as in girls. (Or perhaps you are referring to something else?)

That in the last 4 years, 81% of the teams that have made in to State in Girl's soccer have been from private schools, yet the number for the boy's side has been 59%. Both are high, but the girl's side is very high

Answer to question one - $

Re this question DonC...CBU seems to do okay "attracting" the local male talent (see answer to question one).

I don't disagree with the family $$ argument. CBU isn't involved with Girl's soccer, and isn't D1 A/AA, so that is irrelevant to this discussion.