Seigel nightmare

Strawplainswhopper

I have been to many in season tournaments and yes your school is larger than most schools; however, we are not talking about just any tournament. The State Championship Tournament should be played on a grander scale. I am not saying anything negative about your school or the volunteers that worked. As I have stated earlier, you were great hosts and did a great job with what was given you. I am saying that TSSAA drop the ball this year, maybe not out of any fault of their own. I hope that they can take the negative feedback that they are receiving and do a better job next year and for years to come. I have not given TSSAA any feedback because I am not sure how to go about this. Can you give me any suggestions? I came this year, not as a parent because my team did not make it this far, but because I felt that I would see some great volleyball players and games. I have read all season on CoachT about some of these players and wanted to see if they were as good as others have said and I can truly say that I was not disappointed. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Now, I can help you and I'm afraid there has been an over kill here some time. I would call th TSSAA office in Nashville and ask for someone to talk with and ask if you could write them a constructive letter about the State of Tennessee volleyball Tournament and who to address it to or to save time Could you talk to someone concerning that tournament? You will know which direction to take. KDFan, your post was real world and reasonable. You are a fan as all of us are. Nothing wrong with play on a grander Scale. It takes visionaries to do it and some are in the TSSAA. it's best to work with them instead of fighting them for sure. I'm sure after the last three years there are some who say "What do those guys want". Demanding at this point is not feasible. I think someone will appreciate your thoughts however its handled. You see this is a super sport and the growth is high scale and quality.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight from the horse's mouth: Schools were allowed to use the parking as a fundraiser. Don't know who floated the idea or who ultimately approved it. This was done in appreciation for the short notice after MTSU was ousted as tournament host. MTSU was asking for "triple" the amount last year and TSSAA would have lost "thousands of dollars".

The GLJ is not one to play games and I sure am glad he confirmed what had been insinuated only with hard numbers. With those numbers either negotiations broke down or what they were saying was they wanted no part of it. They saw no payback. The latter is likely. It might be likely that any Public University might have close to the same thoughts. Private Schools do operate differently but for sure no one went that deep.It will be interesting to see how TSSAA came out with Blackman/Siegel and while likely the numbers will not be gotten from the schools, care should be taken on the future enterprise with another Division involved. Also care should be taken involving as many schools with as many schools and Tournaments.

The home page of TSSAA has a number of graphs and some analysis of Districts that it would be good to look at. While geared to football, some relate to VB. The TSSAA has expanded their site considerably and may have discovered what a number of us had already discovered, and that is the recordkeeping in most areas sometimes is hard to keep up with. Here, we tried to keep up with w/l records externally but State/Wide, it was hard to do and other Media/Types had the same problem. We did try to do it many ways.

Now you have to realize that throwing in tiebreakers does mean a lot. Yep, we may have posted a wrong score or two but T had a way to get it corrected if the inquiry was a Plus Suscriber. Also the correction was identified by the persons name. Going thru 3-5 Tournaments on a weekend at 100-140 matches and try to post them in a timely basis is hard and you have to compliment CoachT for doing this and allowing those of us who were idealistic enough to think it could be done to fill a need, to do it. Actually some would like to have it and others did not. These attempts brought on the effort by CoachT in football when he started giving intergame posts and if any tried to look in to the scoreboard between 8:30/10:30 on a Thursday Night, you would think that your computer was going to explode. Now the TSSAA is being more proactive on scores and scores are showing up. Tiebreakers do make a difference. I'm not sure what next year will bring but I would keep up with all of this to keep up to date. Reclassification with the new rules is a way to confuse things and other changes will evidently make it work better.

just wondering if mtsu tripled what it cost for volleyball. Is the same going to happen for basketball?

Are we all hostages of tssaa and mtsu. hopefully some planning is being started for basktetball.

the season if fixing to start. if mufreesboro has a contract they should be accountable to find a

larger place for the crowds.. sometimes it was a little tight in the gyms and hallways. were we over

the fire safety limits? i bet is was close at times. i just hate to see basketball done the same way.

as one group of students came in the front door the police directed the other group out the back door.

panther mom

Great job Siegel and Blackman for your gracious hospitality. No, this was not the ideal location for the state tournament. It was somewhat last minute, they did a pretty good job all things considered. Even though people may be complaining about paying to park, how many fundraisers have we all done for every sport? This was a great opportunity for some of the Siegel and Blackman teams to get something back for all the volunteer hours they provided to host the tournament. It may not seem fair to keep the events in Murfreesboro, but it is a central location in the state. It is simply the fairest way to treat the teams in west and east Tennessee.

just wondering if mtsu tripled what it cost for volleyball. Is the same going to happen for basketball?

Are we all hostages of tssaa and mtsu. hopefully some planning is being started for basktetball.

the season if fixing to start. if mufreesboro has a contract they should be accountable to find a

larger place for the crowds.. sometimes it was a little tight in the gyms and hallways. were we over

the fire safety limits? i bet is was close at times. i just hate to see basketball done the same way.

as one group of students came in the front door the police directed the other group out the back door.

panther mom

I think if it were to be done over in the Boro, other ways of doing it rather than what was done wouold be looked at. Basketball can be arranged another way but I know nothing.

Yes, basketball will be in for a surprise if they think they are playing at MTSU. MTSU has turned over the operations of the facility to the buisness dept. It is now a money making proposition. Seems like having hundreds of kids and parents from all over the state seeing your campus would be good for buisness in the long run... short sighted if you ask me.... dang spread sheet managers only live for the day, have no idea the value of 'intangables'.

Basketball (D2 at least) was played at Lipscomb last year, not at MTSU.

At least they now have some idea of what was involved in the endeavor, short run. Longer run, the story is still out but would have to be positive. Helped recruiting and took a page from MTSU when found advantage of recruiting in state. However the cost is still there. There is really no difference in this than Private schools in Memphis holding Tournaments. Except for St. Michaels, none are held. Ryan in Nashville and GPS in Chattanooga are prominent by their advance in the area but the rest only look in and say they can't afford it. It's a business decision. The same was true at MTSU and the same will be done elsewhere. And the same will be done at a high school, if its done. Don't lose fact that this year the problem was there, the TSSAA did recognize the problem, the schools involved did recognize the problem and what it would do to HS SPORTS, the Principal did recognize his responsibility when asked, he agreed and the rest is history. Nothing done will satisfy everyone. You now go on from there and there are options, some new and others relooking what has been done in the past and making them better. To cut down the options is irresponsible at this time. TSSAA will determine the answer. Others will have input. IMO, the problem is STILL there. The good part is there is a chance to be better. That is the challenge. Three + months, if you are looking at it, is not long either but it is with contract now so it is understood. The significance is that this is the fastest growing female sport in The State but likely can be the fastest fan attended sport and that is a challenge also. It grew this year but parts of the State think the Tournament should be spread around but where is the documentation that their part of the state will support it to the detriment to other parts of the state and where is the documentation that the schools in that part of the state have worked to increase attendance to make it the attraction it should be. And where is the evidence and comittment of Colleges/Universities to put their facilities on line to hold the event with all of this considered. And does the TSSAA understand their part in making this not only a financial success but also an attendance success which is important also.Add to this the addition of a Division to a Sport and consideration being given to those schools. Criticise them if you will but I think they are very sensitive to that fact. That is where the "rubber meets the road" in this decision . Putting an event in the corner of a State that geographically is long is a chance but only effects traveling arrangements of fans with the schools? Soccer was done that way. How much attendance is there in soccer? It is growing. Attendance is a major factor.

I believe it has been at Lipscomp for several years Div II=Basketball. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Where does Div I play? Not that I care... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Announcements