Melrose at Brighton

TraderB

Brighton is 9-1. Melrose is 6-4. The game is at Brighton

----------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Based on the above....I'm just curious as to how many folks are willing to make Melrose the underdog, in this game.

2) Is Brighton REALLY better than Melrose?

3) What are your thoughts about this interesting matchup?

I'll weigh-in later, with my thoughts and observations about this year's Melrose team (and their loss to East).

For now, I'll just use one word to describe the Golden Wildcats: Enigma!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Based on the above....I'm just curious as to how many folks are willing to make Melrose the underdog, in this game.

I'll weigh-in later, with my thoughts and observations about this year's Melrose team (and their loss to East).

I have not seen melrose play, so I have no idea how good they are. But judging by the past, I'd still say Melrose has the advantage. I'm not sure if Brighton can win this one, but it being played at home should make it closer than if it was at melrose. What kind of offense and defense does Melrose have?

1) Based on the above....I'm just curious as to how many folks are willing to make Melrose the underdog, in this game. Not many

2) Is Brighton REALLY better than Melrose? No

3) What are your thoughts about this interesting matchup? Too much Melrose speed.

I have not seen melrose play, so I have no idea how good they are. But judging by the past, I'd still say Melrose has the advantage. I'm not sure if Brighton can win this one, but it being played at home should make it closer than if it was at melrose. What kind of offense and defense does Melrose have?

Melrose runs a "Run & Shoot" offense. Their defense alternates between a 5-2 and a 4-3.

I'll come back later & provide more specific details about Melrose's team.

For now, please understand that Melrose, Fairley & East are three very equally matched teams. One could have literally flipped a coin to determine the Top-3 spots, in Region 8!

Meanwhile, could you please provide some specifics about Brighton's team: offense/defense type, strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, special teams, key players, etc.

Melrose is better than Brighton but I hope Brighton wins. Brighton is better at home than on the road. The rumor is that their QB may be back for the playoffs. They will be unable to stop Melrose if Melrose is good on offense. They will find it tough to move the ball on Melrose if they have a normal Melrose defense. Why is Melrose giving up so many points this year?

Melrose runs a "Run & Shoot" offense. Their defense alternates between a 5-2 and a 4-3.

I'll come back later & provide more specific details about Melrose's team.

For now, please understand that Melrose, Fairley & East are three very equally matched teams. One could have literally flipped a coin to determine the Top-3 spots, in Region 8!

Meanwhile, could you please provide some specifics about Brighton's team: offense/defense type, strengths, weaknesses, tendencies, special teams, key players, etc.

Brighton runs a ton of bubble screens out of the spread. Henry Co. eliminated this effectively by rolling up the outside linebacker/slot corner a step on the snap. Brighton then countered by running slants or crossing routes where the backs would usually drop to (since they were a step slower after rolling up). When the corner played for the slant, they ran some slant and goes and wheel routes. Their running game was unimpressive, they try a quick hitter every now and then. O-line wasn't overpowering. I don't expect Melrose's D to have too much trouble if their backup is the starter, but I am intrigued by this game if Brighton's starter is capable of going.

Brighton runs a ton of bubble screens out of the spread. Henry Co. eliminated this effectively by rolling up the outside linebacker/slot corner a step on the snap. Brighton then countered by running slants or crossing routes where the backs would usually drop to (since they were a step slower after rolling up). When the corner played for the slant, they ran some slant and goes and wheel routes. Their running game was unimpressive, they try a quick hitter every now and then. O-line wasn't overpowering. I don't expect Melrose's D to have too much trouble if their backup is the starter, but I am intrigued by this game if Brighton's starter is capable of going.

Unfortunately I am not intrigued by this game at all no matter the QB. I predict a running clock for Melrose but I hope I am wrong.

Melrose is better than Brighton but I hope Brighton wins. Brighton is better at home than on the road. The rumor is that their QB may be back for the playoffs. They will be unable to stop Melrose if Melrose is good on offense. They will find it tough to move the ball on Melrose if they have a normal Melrose defense. Why is Melrose giving up so many points this year?

Melrose's spread offense is pass-heavy and prolific. They can score points QUICKLY! No team has been able to shut down Melrose's passing game. Nobody. Whitehaven defended it better than anybody. Yet, they still did not shut it down.

Melrose is giving up a lot of points because their defense is simply not as good, overall, vs year's past. It doesn't matter whether it's the run or pass. I'm NOT saying that their defense is horrible; they're just not as stout. They do manage to step up and stop opponents often, however, just not with the same consistency of prior Melrose (steadier) defenses. Plus, they give up the big-play moreso than any other Melrose defense that I can remember.

Melrose's offense is much improved, overall, vs last year. This helps to off-set their defensive fall-off.

Melrose's spread offense is pass-heavy and prolific. They can score points QUICKLY! No team has been able to shut down Melrose's passing game. Nobody. Whitehaven defended it better than anybody. Yet, they still did not shut it down.

Melrose is giving up a lot of points because their defense is simply not as good, overall, vs year's past. It doesn't matter whether it's the run or pass. I'm NOT saying that their defense is horrible; they're just not as stout. They do manage to step up and stop opponents often, however, just not with the same consistency of prior Melrose (steadier) defenses. Plus, they give up the big-play moreso than any other Melrose defense that I can remember.

Melrose's offense is much improved, overall, vs last year. This helps to off-set their defensive fall-off.

You seemed to have changed your tune about the Melrose defense over the last few weeks. Do you still believe Melrose to be the best in Region 8 despite losing to both East and Fairley? I would think Melrose and East are destined to play again. Who will win the match up at East when that happens? Does it matter where a game like that is played?

Melrose's football team is quite an enigma. They are truly very hard to figure out.

While they're every bit as good as MUS, Whitehaven, Fairley and East....something is just missing. They just continue to lose one close ballgame after the other. I mean, just when it seems that they're about to turn the corner & make that one play to win a close ball game, a breakdown occurs. Something happens to cause them to lose the game.

--------------------------------------------------------

One thing that is easy to understand about Melrose is that they are much better than their 6-4 record, especially when one takes a closer look at each of their 4 losses. I saw all four.

Melrose could easily be 9-1 or, perhaps, even undefeated.

Without going into details, I'll simply say this: they were literally only 1 yard away from defeating MUS, and 2 yards away from defeating East last night. Their game-wining TD vs Fairley was called back, due to a penalty. They had their chances vs Whitehaven but didn't execute--they had about 3 or 4 empty Red Zone trips. Credit Whitehaven's stellar defense.

Melrose's biggest problem: Lack of consistent execution.

While the lack of a kicking game literally cost them vs MUS and Fairley, they still had plenty other opportunities to pull those games out. They just failed to execute. Too many penalties, especially false-starts and blocks in the back.

---------------------------------------------------------------

No disrespect to East, but Melrose handed them that ballgame on a silver platter!

Reason: poor execution.

Twice on East's game-winning drive, Melrose stopped East on 4th down and long: The first time, Melrose roughed East's punter (why even bother to rush him?). Drive resumes. The 2nd-time, a face-mask penalty (the ballcarrier was surrounded by defenders, with nowhere to go). Drive resumes... East finally scores. 1 1/2 minutes remaining in the game..... Melrose quickly drives 80+ yards, to East's 5 yard line. 4th & goal. No timeouts. A QB sneak comes up 2 yards short. Game over.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Consequences of Melrose's loss to East:

The bad: 3rd-place Regional finish. Must travel for playoffs. 4th-regular season loss for the 1st-time since....forever, in recent memory. Loss of rivalry's bragging rights. Poor execution is still a huge problem.

The good: They avoid Henry County until round 3 (should they both get that far). They're more than capable of defeating any of their playoff opponents. Their hopes of a State Championship berth is still intact.