BGA-MUS

Team Preview: Memphis University School

By Chris Layton unauthorized website.com Publisher

Look for a different team this season from Coach Bobby Alston and his Memphis University School Owls. The Owls who went 7-4 with a first round playoff loss to Father Ryan are returning several members from that team and looking to move further in the playoffs.

Memphis University School Offense

Offensively the Owls will return nine players with some type of playing experience. The Owls will be lead by junior signal caller Barry Brunetti, (6??™1, 200 pounds). Brunetti will be helped offensively by senior receivers Taylor Reed, (6??™3, 175 pounds) Michael Folk, (6??™2, 175 pounds), Will Benton, (6??™1, 190 pounds) and junior Matt Williams, (5??™11, 170 pounds).

The Owls will look to have a formidable ground game. Senior David Tillman, (5??™8, 190 pounds) a returning starter looks to lead the way in the backfield. He will be joined in the backfield by junior backs Keith McBride, (6??™0, 190 pounds) and Hank Hill, (5??™10, 180 pounds).

To help with both the ground game and passing game Memphis University School will look for help and leadership from tight end Dylan Cunningham, (6??™5, 240 pounds). He will get some help from Bryan Crenshaw, (6??™2, 205 pounds).

The men upfront will be lead by returning starter and senior Cliff Jones, (6??™4, 285 pound) offensive linemen. Jones will be joined by Drew Karban, (6??™0, 225 pound) returning starter to help build the nucleus of the offensive line. Newcomers hoping to make a name on the offensive line are Michael Delaguach, Phillips Morrison, Whit Carr, and Gary Manhein.

Memphis University School Defense

The Owls will be lead defensively with eight returning players with experience. Look for Will Stokes,(6??™3, 225 pound) linebacker to lead the way this year. He will be joined in the linebacker group by Harrison Martin, (5??™9, 205 pounds), Walter Barnett, (6??™0, 205 pounds) and Walter Wepfer, (5??™10, 180 pounds).

A good defense may only be as good as the linebacker group, but a linebacker group will only be as good as the defensive line. The defensive line will be lead by returning players Joel Moss, (5??™10, 205 pounds) and Jack Steffner, (6??™2, 225 pounds). There will be a fierce competition between seniors George Coors, (6??™3, 210 pounds) , Michael Edwards, (6??™1, 185 pounds), and Derek Haynes, (6??™1, 215 pounds).

The secondary will be lead by senior defensive backs Lowell Hayes, (5??™11, 170 pounds), and Barry Hillyer, (6??™0, 170 pounds). They will get some assistance from senior Barrett Folk, (5??™11, 150 pounds), and Stephen Allmond, (5??™8, 150 pounds).

Coach Alston reports the team??™s strength as experience at the offensive skill positions and great senior leadership. The team looks to have strong leadership from Walter Barnett, Lowell Hayes, Taylor Reed, Will Stokes, David Tillman, Walter Wepfer, and Cliff Jones.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUS is one of the best teams in the state regardless of class! BGA will not beat them and MUS might win the DII title.

I agree MUS might win the title. I think their offense is really good and they are sound defensively as well. The title game would be a good one if Ensworth could make it.

I don't know much about MUS. How have they done this season? Is there schedule comparable to BGA's?

MUS and BGA both beat Briarcrest by 48-7 and 35-21 respectively. MUS was undefeated including a win over Olive Branch, MS. BGA did not look up to the task against either BA or Ensworth late in the season.

MUS's win over Olive Branch is one of only 2 losses for Olive Branch. Their only other loss was a 21-13 defeat to South Panola. South Panola is ranked higher (#45) than Moeller (#150) or Prattville (#54) by unapproved website.

And OB was nationally ranked when MUS beat them, yet MUS hasn't cracked the top 100 like Ensworth did by beating MBA. Hmmm, guess the Owls still have something to prove. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

And OB was nationally ranked when MUS beat them, yet MUS hasn't cracked the top 100 like Ensworth did by beating MBA. Hmmm, guess the Owls still have something to prove. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Of course, national rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I do find it interesting that, in all of the research I have done on national rankings, dating back to the old National Sports News Service polls from 50 or so years ago, no West Tennessee schools have ever made it into any of the traditional rankings. It seems like consideration hits a wall moving east to west around middle Tennessee (not saying it's right; just making an observation):

Tennessee Schools Nationally Ranked (scroll to bottom)

Of course, national rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I do find it interesting that, in all of the research I have done on national rankings, dating back to the old National Sports News Service polls from 50 or so years ago, no West Tennessee schools have ever made it into any of the traditional rankings. It seems like consideration hits a wall moving east to west around middle Tennessee (not saying it's right; just making an observation):

Tennessee Schools Nationally Ranked (scroll to bottom)

In last week's national rankings (which will be updated today):

Ensworth #82

MBA #107

MUS # 178

BA #286

Olive Branch #323