State tournament travel

schsdad02

You sure they can dress out? This was a "problem" at one of our games in 2004. I think it was CPA that brought about 30 guys and had them dressed out. The refs said they could only have 22. The coach said that he didn't want to have to tell 8 guys they couldn't wear their school colors (which I understood) and he wasn't going to play them (they wouldn't be on the official roster). I agreed to them wearing their uniforms and asked if the refs would allow it. They ended up doing so, but they had to discuss it.

This is one of the big reasons I don't take more than 22 on my varsity roster.

Check out Bearden in 2006. They brought the whole team, about 30, I think. Same is true for tournaments. They all got the 22 there, so bring them all. It was a big deal for us in 2006, our JV could beat 80 % of the Varsity teams we played and therefore the toughest games the varsity had was practice on the way to state. Because of all the days missed, for the first time in school history, the school elected to not take the entire team. What a political mistake, but it all worked out and the key word is TEAM. They work together every day and even TSSAA, allows 3 "add ons" or subs according to DonC. If the refs dissed CPA, they were idiots. The player cards dictate the game and that is part of their job. What coach would send in a non-rostered player in a game knowing disqualification was inevitable? There is no greater time in a kids soccer career than this moment, than to be on THE bench with THEIR team. Let's face it, 22 is the Magic number, but what is the chance 22 will play? About 10% on a good day.

And it would be like TSSAA to offer ONE Limo for 30 people. Sorry, but would 14 of you girls mind riding in the trunk, we have arrived!!!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Coach! I will check with them tomorrow. Best quote I have so far is $1090 for 12 hours. Have to pay for the drivers room and 2 meals as well. The driver's "down time" is not counted.

Maybe , I missing something here, but how many schools are willing to pay you $2000 for your spot? Give me a break,

create memories, don't worry about what it cost. If you take 22 girls at $100 each you are making a memory for parents and more importantly your kids. WOW! I spent that in fuel yesterday to not go to state. This discussion is from MARS! What if some College coach sees your daughter and saves you $3000 on tuition?

Maybe next year we should ask for financial statements, to determine eligibility. OMG

Maybe , I missing something here, but how many schools are willing to pay you $2000 for your spot? Give me a break,

create memories, don't worry about what it cost. If you take 22 girls at $100 each you are making a memory for parents and more importantly your kids. WOW! I spent that in fuel yesterday to not go to state. This discussion is from MARS! What if some College coach sees your daughter and saves you $3000 on tuition?

Maybe next year we should ask for financial statements, to determine eligibility. OMG

H20dog, I don't think he is trying to be flippant, just trying to be frugal, which in these times, is a necessity.

I will agree with H20dog, it is an amazing memory maker, and quite worth the financial sacrifice some might have to make. Think of all the times you have heard 40+ year olds talking about some type of "STATE" sports memory!

H20dog, I don't think he is trying to be flippant, just trying to be frugal, which in these times, is a necessity.

I will agree with H20dog, it is an amazing memory maker, and quite worth the financial sacrifice some might have to make. Think of all the times you have heard 40+ year olds talking about some type of "STATE" sports memory!

I, as always, bow to your perspective. I missed the "flippant" cast. As a parent who had to cancel his reservation in Chattanooga yesterday, I was taken aback by someone bringing up the travel expense. We've been twice in the past four years and I didn't know TSSAA paid anything. We probably spent $ 1000.00 Saturday in fuel to get 22+ girls to Nashville to not go to Chatt. I guess it just rubbed me wrong. Sorry

Now you make me ask. When eight teams went to State to play 4 games, then 2, then one, I guess TSSAA was having top foot the bill, or part of it. When we went to Sub-state, I though it was to keep the girls from missing a week of school. Now, I see it as a cost savings to TSSAA. Three teams travelled this past week end at the parents expense.It could have been much worse (cost wise) depending on the mix.

I, as always, bow to your perspective. I missed the "flippant" cast. As a parent who had to cancel his reservation in Chattanooga yesterday, I was taken aback by someone bringing up the travel expense. We've been twice in the past four years and I didn't know TSSAA paid anything. We probably spent $ 1000.00 Saturday in fuel to get 22+ girls to Nashville to not go to Chatt. I guess it just rubbed me wrong. Sorry

Now you make me ask. When eight teams went to State to play 4 games, then 2, then one, I guess TSSAA was having top foot the bill, or part of it. When we went to Sub-state, I though it was to keep the girls from missing a week of school. Now, I see it as a cost savings to TSSAA. Three teams travelled this past week end at the parents expense.It could have been much worse (cost wise) depending on the mix.

"Flippant" probably wasn't the right choice of words (it's what you get for texting and posting at the same time), but I was trying to point out his motives weren't meant to offend anyone.

I didn't even know the TSSAA paid anything until last year when we were trying to work out the bus situation and our AD mentioned something. I would love to see their paperwork on the amounts given.

"Flippant" probably wasn't the right choice of words (it's what you get for texting and posting at the same time), but I was trying to point out his motives weren't meant to offend anyone.

I didn't even know the TSSAA paid anything until last year when we were trying to work out the bus situation and our AD mentioned something. I would love to see their paperwork on the amounts given.

I didn't think he was trying to offend. Just sounded like, "oh poor pitiful me, I have to go to State and it's sooo costly". I just thought it was out of line. You work all season to get there and when you are so fortunate to have the chance, you complain? Anyway, I said I took it wrong and apologized.

I too would love to know the financial arrangements. Is it based on milage? Does everyone get the same amount? Kind of nice if State is in your town and you get the same as a school hundreds of miles away. I guess it's a whole new can of worms we could chant over.

Thanks, but I used H2ODog's credit card. He made me feel so cheap the other night.

I REALLY did rent this bus for the girls to get to Chattanooga--partially because of Dog's comments. That should help get the memories started! But winning will be the best memory.

You ARE going to swing by Knoxville to big up Big G, right?

Sweet ride, my friend!

I didn't think he was trying to offend. Just sounded like, "oh poor pitiful me, I have to go to State and it's sooo costly". I just thought it was out of line. You work all season to get there and when you are so fortunate to have the chance, you complain? Anyway, I said I took it wrong and apologized.

I too would love to know the financial arrangements. Is it based on milage? Does everyone get the same amount? Kind of nice if State is in your town and you get the same as a school hundreds of miles away. I guess it's a whole new can of worms we could chant over.

Out of curiosity I called the TSSAA office this morning on this and here is what they told me.

Once the tournament is over the director sends all the info to the TSSAA office. The TSSAA calculates a percentage based on how many games each team played, how many nights they had to stay, and how far they had to travel - then they pay out a check to each school. The lady I spoke with said this typically takes until sometime in December to get paid out (she was currently working on the checks for Track). She also said the amount really varies based on how much the gate takes in, how many teams are local, etc... The amount can be anywhere from $400 to $1000.

Hope that helps - thks

Out of curiosity I called the TSSAA office this morning on this and here is what they told me.

Once the tournament is over the director sends all the info to the TSSAA office. The TSSAA calculates a percentage based on how many games each team played, how many nights they had to stay, and how far they had to travel - then they pay out a check to each school. The lady I spoke with said this typically takes until sometime in December to get paid out (she was currently working on the checks for Track). She also said the amount really varies based on how much the gate takes in, how many teams are local, etc... The amount can be anywhere from $400 to $1000.

Hope that helps - thks

Soooo.... $1000 for 22 players and 2 coaches. That's $45 per person. FOR THE TOURNAMENT! Where do they think we are going to stay for, let's see.... $45 divided by 3 nights... $15 a night!

CLASSIC!