Is Dobyns-Bennett the Cinderella team of this year??™s Tournament?

DonCChatt

Are they the Cinderella team of this year??™s State Tournament, or were they just underrated all season? I noticed on Euro that they have jumped from UR to #8.

Can they beat Brentwood?

[/size]

Looking at their schedule, some of the bigger games have been:

1-1 tie vs. Collierville early in the year

0-2 loss vs. Oak Ridge year

0-2 loss vs. Farragut

2-1 win over Bearden last Saturday

1-0 win over Riverdale last night

Does their run come to an end tonight??

Shane, I love ya, but you got a tough one here... Can you do it? Yes. You have proven that your girls can beat some quality teams. Get them ready and give them your best. Just try not to get any cards, huh? /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

That 'halo-effect' will pretty much blind you. Earlier it was mentioned that DB was possibly slighted. That obviously has proven true. Should you rank teams at this point of the season on their whole body of work, or simply how they end up at the end of the season? I can see the arguments either way, maybe with a little bit of both aspects considered, but unlike the BCS, that is why there is a championship. #1 will have earned it, without a doubt. Some teams match up differently, but I'm pulling for DB just from a region perspective.

Eurosport rankings don't always make sense like we have all noticed. Did anyone else notice that all the lower ranked Eurosport teams advanced from the quarterfinals in AAA against higher ranked teams. At this point, everybodys good. Can Dobyns-Bennett advance? Sure, it just depends on who has a better game TODAY.

I agree that on any given day, any of these teams can probably beat any other.

Sure, Euro has it's warts. DB's strength of schedule probably didn't help them get recognized before now. Also, there are certainly teams that are weak early in the season (injuries, new players, new coach, new scheme, etc) that don't come together until late in the season.

As far as the lower ranked teams generally advancing, that was true. Didn't see any of the AAA games (I'm an A/AA guy), but looking at the official stats, it appears, the high ranked teams out-shot the lower ranked teams, but couldn't score enough.

Riverdale (#4) vs. DB (#8), Riverdale outshot DB 19-10, and had a 5/2 advantage on corners

Collierville (#5) vs. Brentwood (#7). Collierville outshot Brentwood 15-6.

Shots doesn't equal goals, I know....

Long live the underdogs (in AAA).

Yeah, but hey, that's soccer. How many times has a team controlled the majority of the game, only to come up short on the score? I hate it, but it happens a lot. Give me two shots on goal a game, that connect with the back of the net, and I'm on the winning team the majority of the time.

Back in 2004, we outshot Gibbs 25-2 and lost 2-0. It happens!