MBA @ MUS

3yardsandacloudofdust

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the score puts to rest the question whether MUS can compete with the "Big 3" of Middle Tennessee.

MBA came to Memphis thinking they could steamroll MUS on the ground but ended up having to go to the air to get any yards at all. The only reason MUS didn't shut them out was a gift from the officials when they swallowed their whistles on flagrant offensive pass interference in the end zone. With MUS ahead 35-0 at the time, and the "mercy rule" in effect, maybe they took pity on them. Thank God the game wasn't close and affected by the noncall.

Next week, anybody in Nashville that's interested can see MUS Junior phenom Quarterback Barry Brunetti, a player that amazingly has been under a lot of people's radar, and many other offensive weapons at running back and receivers, that will severely test BA's defense.

Another classy post! MBA tried to play their game...they prefer the run, but throw fairly often. They played a team that was simply better than they were. Go back and read the previous posts from MBA people (or have your mom read them to you) and you'll see there was nobody from MBA who came in expecting a cake-walk. The MBA contingent felt that at best this would be a very difficult game, and at worst...well, it might end up like it did. Further, if you'll look at rollredroll's post before the game, we're well aware that our record against MUS is not good.

So, could we put a rest to the martyrdom and "We're not getting the respect we deserve from those uppity Nashvillians"? Try to be as classy as your team.

I guess the score puts to rest the question whether MUS can compete with the "Big 3" of Middle Tennessee.

MBA came to Memphis thinking they could steamroll MUS on the ground but ended up having to go to the air to get any yards at all. The only reason MUS didn't shut them out was a gift from the officials when they swallowed their whistles on flagrant offensive pass interference in the end zone. With MUS ahead 35-0 at the time, and the "mercy rule" in effect, maybe they took pity on them. Thank God the game wasn't close and affected by the noncall.

Next week, anybody in Nashville that's interested can see MUS Junior phenom Quarterback Barry Brunetti, a player that amazingly has been under a lot of people's radar, and many other offensive weapons at running back and receivers, that will severely test BA's defense.

I don't think MBA thought they would steamroll MUS at all. I think MBA expected a tough game from a very good MUS team. I also don't think MBA came expecting to run. They've been very balanced all year, passing roughly 50% of the time. If you want to talk about gifts, the 5 turnovers, most of which were MBA mistakes rather than MUS plays, gave MUS tremendous opportunites on which MUS did a good job of capitalizing. The game was very even until MBA gives MUS the short field two series in a row. Turnovers are part of the game tough, and MUS came ready to play and took advantage of them. I'm not sure MBA would have been able to produce a different outcome had they not turned the ball over, but the score certainly would have been more indicative of their potential.

I'm looking forward to watching Brunetti. I wish we could have had an internet broadcast of Friday's matchup. I think MUS will give BA more than they can handle. Good luck to the Owls.

If you go to musowls.org there is a link to a replay of the MBA/MUS game. After watching the game I will say that the teams obviously were a lot closer in talent than the score. However, MBA just made way too many mistakes that good teams can't make. MUS had some big plays that make it hard to blame it all on turnovers though. Brunetti and McBride will both be back next year which is a lot of speed in the backfield.

Again, I want to apologize to all the MBA fans who don't think some MUS fans are being classy. As I have said, I think of it has a lot to do with the fact that the best team in Memphis and maybe TN can't get any respect until they spank MBA, BA, or Ensworth.

Another classy post! MBA tried to play their game...they prefer the run, but throw fairly often. They played a team that was simply better than they were. Go back and read the previous posts from MBA people (or have your mom read them to you) and you'll see there was nobody from MBA who came in expecting a cake-walk. The MBA contingent felt that at best this would be a very difficult game, and at worst...well, it might end up like it did. Further, if you'll look at rollredroll's post before the game, we're well aware that our record against MUS is not good.

So, could we put a rest to the martyrdom and "We're not getting the respect we deserve from those uppity Nashvillians"? Try to be as classy as your team.

About as expected from a poster who joins the site only after the big game. Those types have all the stones in the world when things are in their favor but are nowhere to be found when it's time to go out on a limb before the game or when things turn south. Flash in the pan.

I was going to make a post earlier about "Win with class, lose with class". Frankly, I don't think he has to worry about losing with class this year. The main question is whether he can learn the former.

Excellent point on the "martyrdom". It's getting pretty inane. MUS was given all the credit in the world from people in the know prior to the game. I'm waiting for a new Memphis poster to show up with the screen name "identitycrisis".

Again, I want to apologize to all the MBA fans who don't think some MUS fans are being classy. As I have said, I think of it has a lot to do with the fact that the best team in Memphis and maybe TN can't get any respect until they spank MBA, BA, or Ensworth.

No big deal. Every team has those types of fans here and there; no one is perfect. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to filter those who have something to contribute and those who are blowhards.

Winning games and titles are the best way to earn respect; everything else (fan polls, message board fodder, etc.) is just noise. I think MUS will earn the requisite "respect" in nine days.

No big deal. Every team has those types of fans here and there; no one is perfect. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to filter those who have something to contribute and those who are blowhards.

Winning games and titles are the best way to earn respect; everything else (fan polls, message board fodder, etc.) is just noise. I think MUS will earn the requisite "respect" in nine days.

MUS is a great team. They proved where it counts. It was tough to tell how good they were until Friday night. They may have another test next Tuesday so I wouldn't get too cocky. BA could surprise you.

Some of the MUS fans seem to have a little bit of a complex about perceived disrespect from Mid-State. I can assure you that everyone that I spoke with had a healthy fear of MUS all season. I think everyone was just wishfully hoping that the MUS schedule was such that they were not as good as their record indicated. They showed Friday night that they are the real deal.

So for those of you MUS fans who need to be reassured--we respect you.

MUS is a great team. They proved where it counts. It was tough to tell how good they were until Friday night. They may have another test next Tuesday so I wouldn't get too cocky. BA could surprise you.

Some of the MUS fans seem to have a little bit of a complex about perceived disrespect from Mid-State. I can assure you that everyone that I spoke with had a healthy fear of MUS all season. I think everyone was just wishfully hoping that the MUS schedule was such that they were not as good as their record indicated. They showed Friday night that they are the real deal.

So for those of you MUS fans who need to be reassured--we respect you.

3yards,

You indicated that it was tough to tell how good MUS was.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose that you were referring to folks OUTSIDE of the Memphis area.

Let me assure you, most football fans in the Memphis area were already (acutely) aware of MUS' true team strength. Frankly, I was convinced the absolute first time I saw them dissect a very good Melrose team, way back during week Zero! My convictions were only confirmed after MUS' resounding win over an outstanding Olive Branch, Mississippi team.

Here's what's kinda' funny about this whole thing: I've been touting MUS' Championship credentials for so long and so often, than I've come across sounding like an annoying broken record! Heck, I was even accused of being a MUS alumni and/or having some sort of bias towards the Private School football teams.

Hey, all that's Ok by me......The fact is, however, that I'm just a Public School grad who knows a Championship-caliber football team when I see one. I'm just excited that such a team (finally) happens to be from the Memphis area, an area that's much-maligned and perennially disrespected when it comes to HS football!

Now, thanks to an impressive run to the D-II Championship game, the rest of Tennessee can now join the Memphis area, Olive Branch fans & me--join all of us in giving MUS it's just-due, as one of the top teams in the whole State of Tennessee.

Just one more hurdle to go...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Go MUS! Beat Brentwood Academy. Bring that Gold Ball back to the "M" town!

No fault of MUS, who now owns a 5 game winning streak over MBA (hard to believe) and 2 state titles in the past 4, but most of the talk on Coach T regarding D2 surrounds MBA, BA, and EHS. There just have not, historically, been a lot of posters from MUS/CBHS. Plus, we don't play each other regularly like we did in the beginning of D2.

I definitely like it this way...this was an intriguing match-up as opposed to say MBA's play-off route last year when we played FRHS and BA in both the post season and regular season. Some "mystery" about how these teams would match-up...not exactly the ending I was hoping for though.

Nothing really to add when you lose 35-7. Like Redtwin, I'm still very proud of Coach McGugin and these players...esp. how well they did with all the losses from last year...and really a whole new identidy from last year (much more balanced, as opposed to the "3 yards/cloud of dust" approach from last year). He truly is a special coach, as any astute football observer can figure out...we are lucky to have him and will be really good as long as he's around.

Best of luck to MUS...they have put some resume together recently, as they stand on the brink of a perfect season and 3rd title this decade.

The guy must be superman to have torn his MCL so badly that he was on crutches the next day, yet he continued to play up through the very last play of the game without so much as a limp.

Pretty much. Good news though, surgery will not be required. He will a porportion of baseketball though i presume. Congrats to MUS. Please beat BA!!!

It's very good football, and Moelller was a good team, though not the dominating team they've been historically. That's an issue with national rankings: they look a lot at tradition and accomplishment over the years, and other teams in the area. Historically, Memphis is not known for its HS football. It certainly doesn't mean they don't produce good teams, but they don't attract the attention that other areas do. Obvioulsy it's not a perfect system, and really nothing more than conversation fodder. Clearly they've missed a pretty decent team in MUS.

I wish MBA could have played MUS with the healthy starting defensive and offensive players that MBA had against Moeller plus starting center Owen Lipscomb who did not play against Moeller. But that's football, BA stayed pretty healthy all year and got there in the end and will play a very good MUS team. It should be a good match up very physical on the line however MUS's quarterback will open things up a bit. Should be a good game.