LA's New District

LA_Wildcats

LA should have a much easier time in the upcoming year considering their schedule will most likely go from state's toughest to weakest. They have improved drastically over the last 2 years and I think they are going in the right direction in terms of where they want to be. Do I think that next years team could compete in their old region...no, but that doesn't matter anymore. They finally have a legitimate shot of making the playoffs again and they should be competitive in each game they play.

The community and the kids are ready to make this transition and I think most fans are also ready for this to happen. Coach Lamb and his staff have done a good job developing some of the younger talent on the team and this should lead to future wins within the district and against non-district foes. It's a shame that too many people want to bash this program or another for that matter when they need to get behind the people running the show and support the kids regardless of the school.

I have a great deal of respect for each team in this new district. They are all well coached and have good athletes so it should make for a competitive district. Smith Co., York, and Dekalb Co. all had good seasons this year and must be considered the favorites for the playoffs until someone takes it away from them. In my opinion, LA has more than a good shot of taking it away from Dekalb Co. but the offseason must be filled with a great deal of preparation, which I'm sure it will be.

Good luck to each team in this new district, especially LA. I'm looking forward to witnessing a drastic turnaround in which all fans (you too Hound) can be proud of.

I'm proud of LA... I just haven't liked the records the last few years. I will give Lamb and his boys the benefit of the doubt that they are doing the right things in the offseason to get this team moving in the right direction. If they ARE NOT doing things to get BETTER in the offseason then they WILL NOT win in this new region either. If they get BETTER this offseason then they will COMPETE and possibly be in contention for a playoff spot. I'm curious to what LA is doing to get better. The season has been over for nearly a month so I would hope that they have been in the weight room at least three days a week for a couple of weeks now. If not, they are probably behind the eight ball on getting BETTER.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I might get it, maybe. According to the T$$AA, the top two teams are automatically in. If DC is #1 and LA #2, then both are automatic qualifiers. The language isn't really that great but it seems to imply that no less than half of the teams are automatic. Rule #1 half of teams are in, Rule #2 top two teams are in. If you don't fall under one or the other, you got a wild card chance. A little better than what I originally thought.

Me too. But is it me or do teams schedule weak non district schedules in order to better their overall W-L record? I know SOS plays into it based on a tie but its not the #1 option.

I'm proud of LA... I just haven't liked the records the last few years. I will give Lamb and his boys the benefit of the doubt that they are doing the right things in the offseason to get this team moving in the right direction. If they ARE NOT doing things to get BETTER in the offseason then they WILL NOT win in this new region either. If they get BETTER this offseason then they will COMPETE and possibly be in contention for a playoff spot. I'm curious to what LA is doing to get better. The season has been over for nearly a month so I would hope that they have been in the weight room at least three days a week for a couple of weeks now. If not, they are probably behind the eight ball on getting BETTER.

Very well put. Give the team the benefit of the doubt for the upcoming season and lets see what happens. I'm sure there's plenty of working out and preparing as we speak. This staff and administration seem to want this to go in the right direction and I hope for their sakes that it does. It won't be easy to win the district but the 'Cats already know that. Look for a well prepared, well conditioned, strong, and ultimately successful football team to take the field come 2009!!

Go 'Cats!!

Me too. But is it me or do teams schedule weak non district schedules in order to better their overall W-L record? I know SOS plays into it based on a tie but its not the #1 option.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Teams are going to begin scheduling weaker opponents so that they can add wins to their record in case they are not the automatic from their district. When picking Wild Cards 7-3 looks better than 5-5 and I do not believe that SOS will matter that much. Those teams who are traditionally no good will have an easy time filling a schedule while teams who are traditionally good will have to play up in order to find games. Looks like a lot of headache to me.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. Teams are going to begin scheduling weaker opponents so that they can add wins to their record in case they are not the automatic from their district. When picking Wild Cards 7-3 looks better than 5-5 and I do not believe that SOS will matter that much. Those teams who are traditionally no good will have an easy time filling a schedule while teams who are traditionally good will have to play up in order to find games. Looks like a lot of headache to me.

I agree, the .500 and upper programs will have more headaches filling their schedules.

And all of it goes back to Rule #1: "Just win baby!"

This is the way it has been for years. Most teams and coaches want to schedule weaker teams to build confidence and make sure their players aren't beaten up all the time. LA hasn't had many chances to schedule weaker apponents the past few seasons unless they wanted to give up games like smith and TC and York which probably draw decent gates. Back in the day though we used to play teams like Celina, Bledsoe County, and other teams to guarantee some wins and give us some breaks as far as getting healthy. If I were LA I would be looking to schedule weak teams and get as many W's as possible.

This is the way it has been for years. Most teams and coaches want to schedule weaker teams to build confidence and make sure their players are beaten up all the time. LA hasn't had many chances to schedule weaker apponents the past few seasons unless they wanted to give up games like smith and TC and York which probably draw decent gates. Back in the day though we used to play teams like Celina, Bledsoe County, and other teams to guarantee some wins and give us some breaks as far as getting healthy. If I were LA I would be looking to schedule weak team and get as many W's as possible.

They are taking your advice. Cumberland Co. 1-9, Stone Mem.1-9, White Co. 2-8, and heard possibly Macon Co. 1-9. BD said Monterey, if so 2-8.

This is the way it has been for years. Most teams and coaches want to schedule weaker teams to build confidence and make sure their players are beaten up all the time. LA hasn't had many chances to schedule weaker apponents the past few seasons unless they wanted to give up games like smith and TC and York which probably draw decent gates. Back in the day though we used to play teams like Celina, Bledsoe County, and other teams to guarantee some wins and give us some breaks as far as getting healthy. If I were LA I would be looking to schedule weak team and get as many W's as possible.

Just because all the teams mentioned earlier (White Co, Cumb. Co, Stone, & Monterey) had bad records in '08 doesn't mean they are bad teams. Both White and Cumb are playing 5A next year while Stone will be 4A. If these teams are on the schedule then we are playing even or up in all non-district games except for Monterey. I think we can win at least 3 if not 4 of these games and depending on how we do inside the district I think our year will be pretty successful.

And lets face it, playing Clay Co. is a lose-lose situation. They have improved over the last few years and playing them would not benefit LA one bit. If LA were to win then it wouldn't matter much because they beat a 1A school, much like Monterey, but if Clay were to win then everyone would be upset we lost to a lower team. So in my opinion it makes sense to play teams of equal/higher classification regardless of records so that it's not the lose-lose situation mentioned above.

Whoever is on the schedule in '09 better watch out. The 'Cats are turning the corner.

Just because all the teams mentioned earlier (White Co, Cumb. Co, Stone, & Monterey) had bad records in '08 doesn't mean they are bad teams. Both White and Cumb are playing 5A next year while Stone will be 4A. If these teams are on the schedule then we are playing even or up in all non-district games except for Monterey. I think we can win at least 3 if not 4 of these games and depending on how we do inside the district I think our year will be pretty successful.

And lets face it, playing Clay Co. is a lose-lose situation. They have improved over the last few years and playing them would not benefit LA one bit. If LA were to win then it wouldn't matter much because they beat a 1A school, much like Monterey, but if Clay were to win then everyone would be upset we lost to a lower team. So in my opinion it makes sense to play teams of equal/higher classification regardless of records so that it's not the lose-lose situation mentioned above.

Whoever is on the schedule in '09 better watch out. The 'Cats are turning the corner.

I agree. It should be 3 or 4 wins which is great. As far as scheduling clay co it's not as bad as you make it sound. You still have to show up and play the game. I've seen days when the starters didn't play but maybe two or three series but it was good to get the younger guys in there when the real bullets were flying on Friday night. I have also seen years when teams like Celina are strong and LA was in a real dog fight in which they got better because of being in that game. I think you are wrong and it's a win-win situation. Plus if LA has 'turned that corner' then teams like Clay County should NEVER beat us. (Remember they did beat us in a JV game this year.)

I agree. It should be 3 or 4 wins which is great. As far as scheduling clay co it's not as bad as you make it sound. You still have to show up and play the game. I've seen days when the starters didn't play but maybe two or three series but it was good to get the younger guys in there when the real bullets were flying on Friday night. I have also seen years when teams like Celina are strong and LA was in a real dog fight in which they got better because of being in that game. I think you are wrong and it's a win-win situation. Plus if LA has 'turned that corner' then teams like Clay County should NEVER beat us. (Remember they did beat us in a JV game this year.)

You make some good arguments but I still believe if you play bad teams then you need to play bad teams that are of equal or greater classification. It just looks better beating a 5A school as opposed to beating a 1A school, and on the flip side, it looks better to lose to a 5A school than a 1A school. I never said Clay could ever beat LA, but if it happened, on the varsity level, then I'm sure everyone would be quite upset.

But with Clay Co. not likely on the schedule it's a moot point nonetheless.

Are you sure about that JV score? I read in an earlier post about how the younger talent was being developed. Surely they didn't lose to Clay.