Dobyns Bennett Football

You have a right to your opinion, but try to look at it in an other perspective. It could help all the systems in different ways. It want happen anytime soon, but it will sooner or later.

I don't think it is inevitable and I'll tell you why. In Tennessee sales tax is distributed back to where it was collected meaning Kpt gets the lion's share of tax dollars that are used primarily for city schools. So unless the state changes the way that's done, I don't see the citizens of Kpt ever supporting consolidation. They have too much pride in their school system. And all four municipalities in Sullivan county (Kpt, Bristol, Bluff City and Sullivan County) would have to approve it too. What are the odds of that?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is inevitable and I'll tell you why. In Tennessee sales tax is distributed back to where it was collected meaning Kpt gets the lion's share of tax dollars that are used primarily for city schools. So unless the state changes the way that's done, I don't see the citizens of Kpt ever supporting consolidation. They have too much pride in their school system. And all four municipalities in Sullivan county (Kpt, Bristol, Bluff City and Sullivan County) would have to approve it too. What are the odds of that?

Kingsport needs to decide if they want a 2nd city high school or they want Dobyns Bennett to be the largest high school in the state. I think we all know the answer. Can the facility be expanded to accommodate 3000 or more students? An annexed metro-Kingsport would easily surpass those numbers with Colonial Heights, Sullivan Gardens, Bloomingdale, and Cooks Valley/Indian Springs. Sullivan County has no choice but to adapt to dwindling numbers by shifting students until South and North are both closed . East and Central will remain because they are protected from annexation by Blountville and Bluff City.

As a current Kingsport City Schools employee in after school programs and teachers assitant positions over the past four years, and a hopeful Kingsport City Schools future teacher, I'm curious to why you would never work for Kingsport City ever again 'for any reason'? My interest is genuine.

Also, I say this to everyone, I do not believe that Kingsport City, Bristol City, and Sullivan County will come under the same house politically; Kingsport and Bristol would never give up their charters. It's more likely they will come together in the realm of education at some indefinite point in the future. The county education situation is woeful. Forced consolidations, annexation, and lack of funds is killing the county. Being a citizen of Kingsport and an employee of multiple city departments, I can honestly say I'd pay more taxes if it meant the situation would get better. I would like to see, however, the county 'wise men' be a bit more proactive in finding a solution to this situation the county system finds itself in, if their is one. I understand we in the city, both Kingsport and Bristol, are part of the problem, but we are not the problem.

I also should say, kingsportfan and I are best friends. He is from the part of Bloomingdale where the city limit now sits on his closest horizon when it used to be miles away. I am from southeast Kingsport, situated between Memorial Blvd. and Ft. Henry Dr. The only topic, and I do mean only topic, we have made a conscious decision to not talk about is the county education system, our sympathies simply run too deep. However, we both are adament about the need for the cities and county to cooperate to fix the problem. We are all in this together, some more than others, and we are all part of the solution.

I am now stepping off the soap box. Next.

There is an answer as I have posted on this forum before. Sullivan Co will go to 1 or 2 HS in the intermediate future (5 - 10 years). In a 20 year timeframe they will float bonds for a single Co HS near Blountville. All you have to do is look at the Urban Growth Boundaries for Kpt, Bri, and JC. Sullivan Co will have 3 HS in it - THS, D-B, and Sullivan; Washington Co will have 3 - SH, Boone, and Crockett. South needs to enjoy their run while they can.

Good analysis.

So why was it that we built South? Was Central overcrowded? What, we were trying to save gas money on busing? What...20 miles from South to Central. From North to South what...15 miles. And how much did South cost?

My point is...was it a bad decision or good for the times and now things are just different? I contend that then as now someone is influencing a group of someones to make the same mistake all over again.

It's terrible to have so much money and need to spend it so as not to leave it to another generation for a more important purpose. It's terrible to need resourses now because of a decision made yesterday and have no resources available. It's terrible to repeat this process over and over. It's terrible that Kingsport City teachers make that much more money than Sullivan County teachers.

Teachers, Waitresses, Policemen, Nurses, Coaches...we treat them all like we are doing them a favor allowing them to do their job.

Let's build a new school...any suggestions on where to put it?

Times have changed. There was a time that Ketron was the largest HS in Sullivan Co. The primary difference being the change in laws that basically gave the cities immunity from lawsuits for annexation. This was a reaction to the venomous relationship in the 80's across the state - locally epitomized by Bristol's ultimately successful annexation of Avoca (very personal) and by Kingsport's failed attempt at annexing Colonial Heights. The creation and approval of the Urban Growth Boundary Plans and the immunity of such plans from lawsuits along with the concept of strip annexation has swung the entire balance of power to the cities.

So why was it that we built South? Was Central overcrowded? What, we were trying to save gas money on busing? What...20 miles from South to Central. From North to South what...15 miles. And how much did South cost?

My point is...was it a bad decision or good for the times and now things are just different? I contend that then as now someone is influencing a group of someones to make the same mistake all over again.

It's terrible to have so much money and need to spend it so as not to leave it to another generation for a more important purpose. It's terrible to need resourses now because of a decision made yesterday and have no resources available. It's terrible to repeat this process over and over. It's terrible that Kingsport City teachers make that much more money than Sullivan County teachers.

Teachers, Waitresses, Policemen, Nurses, Coaches...we treat them all like we are doing them a favor allowing them to do their job.

Let's build a new school...any suggestions on where to put it?

The Sullivan County HS Coyotes will be located in Blountville, probably SW of town with easy access to I-81 and 394. Their colors will be black and gold in honor of the Bloomingdale School Closing Riots of 2012. The head football coach will be Stacy Carter. The stadium will be average but will be improved with the dedication of many parents (but will open with better visitor seating than D-/cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />. After an 1-9 start in their inaugural season, they will unleash a major beatdown on SH and THS for many years; they will not beat D-B until GC retires.

Their band will be something to be proud of. They will, however, not run the County Commission like some other local bands.

I like the fact that the Indians will play all district opponents in the coming year, varsity, junior varsity, and freshman. It's my hope that every member of the Big 8 does this so we can have definitive conference champions on the junior varsity and freshman levels, adding a bit of flavor to the minor leagues. Does anyone know if all Big 8 junior varsity and freshman teams will play each other this fall, giving me the Big 8 JV Conference and Big 8 Freshman Conference I so desire?

Sorry, but JV will continue to be problematic as the season wears on and smaller schools (not D-B and SH) decide to rest / save players. Many JV games are cancelled during October. A Freshman Conference Championship is very possible and should be promoted.

Who is the likely starter at QB? Roop or Seabolt?

GC will make that call during the spring and summer.I like Roop as a young man and don't really know Seabolt,but have heard he is a standup guy as well.The point is,I hope that whoever is playing QB does well. I know many of the players and parents on this team and will try to be as fair as I can when talking about any of the players.The hardest thing in the world to do is seperate myself as a parent that knows alot about the game,and a fan that knows alot about the game.I would love to just tell it like I see it,and do when it comes to building up great players that are not my own.A good example was Will Bateman last year, what a fine young man and football player he is.Roll Tribe

Kingsport needs to decide if they want a 2nd city high school or they want Dobyns Bennett to be the largest high school in the state. I think we all know the answer. Can the facility be expanded to accommodate 3000 or more students? An annexed metro-Kingsport would easily surpass those numbers with Colonial Heights, Sullivan Gardens, Bloomingdale, and Cooks Valley/Indian Springs. Sullivan County has no choice but to adapt to dwindling numbers by shifting students until South and North are both closed . East and Central will remain because they are protected from annexation by Blountville and Bluff City.

I think you're being way overdramatic Crawdad. DB is nowhere near the largest school in the state. We are not even the largest in Northeast TN. Both Science Hill and Jefferson County have more students than DB. John Campbell said recently that KPT is not interested in annexing Colonial Heights. It is now considered a mature community. The city is looking at growing through developing raw land with new subdivisions like the Edinburgh and the new one on Fall Creek Road. It's not their intention to try to close North or South. So lighten up.

ROLL TRIBE!

I think you're being way overdramatic Crawdad. DB is nowhere near the largest school in the state. We are not even the largest in Northeast TN. Both Science Hill and Jefferson County have more students than DB. John Campbell said recently that KPT is not interested in annexing Colonial Heights. It is now considered a mature community. The city is looking at growing through developing raw land with new subdivisions like the Edinburgh and the new one on Fall Creek Road. It's not their intention to try to close North or South. So lighten up.

ROLL TRIBE!

I'm sorry you felt this opinion "overdramatic". The truth is that a mere 400 additional students would make Dobyns Bennett the 2nd largest school in the state. Annexation of any of the areas I named would bring enrollment in line with those numbers. I do agree that it is not the intention of Kingsport to close North or South, however it will be the inevitable result of their actions.

BTW, what is a WarHoop? Is it an earring or dress?

BTW, what is a WarHoop? Is it an earring or dress?

I don't know if you have been to any DB home games or not. But the war hoop is a long time tradition to get the team and fans fired up before the game. The full band lines up in the East endzone and plays the War Hoop (traditional Indian song you hear played at Florida State games) while the team slowly walks toward the band. When the coach gives the signal it's like a jailbreak back to the 50 yardline where a mass of humanity rallies around the coaches in a mad frenzy. I think it gets me as fired up as the players.

I'm sorry you felt this opinion "overdramatic". The truth is that a mere 400 additional students would make Dobyns Bennett the 2nd largest school in the state. Annexation of any of the areas I named would bring enrollment in line with those numbers. I do agree that it is not the intention of Kingsport to close North or South, however it will be the inevitable result of their actions.

But one could argue that an extra 400 students would have the same impact at most every 6A school in the state. So yours is a moot point!

For the record, Blountville is unincorporated and Bristol could certainly annex that community if they chose to.