Lewis County scrimmages.....

Reporter

Lewis County just completed their preseason scrimmage session this past Friday night verus Bruceton. Lewis County won the scrimmage by a 5-1 score. They had earlier defeated Lexington 4-1 and Hickman County 10-0. Watching them play, they have added a dimension that has been missing in the past, a lot of team speed!

Ellis Dailey is a 6'1 215 pound fullback who transferred from Mt. Pleasant for his senior year and looks really good and Michael Sowell is a halfback who has returned to the team after missing a season who brings some true breakaway speed to the backfield. Add Junior QB David Sharp and you got three who can truly run.

The line is big especially the defensive tackles, Bobby Clift a 6'7" 290 pound senior, Neal King a 6'1" 300+ pound junior and Adam Willis a 6'4" 300+ pound junior.

I know that the Lewis County supporters have been fairly quite this preseason but watching them scrimmage, this edition looks like, if the offensive line avoids injury, they could be very, very good!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BoneCrusher

You have Neal at 6'1 and Ellis at the same height. Umm if Neal is 6'1 Ellis is like 6'5. I would appreciate it if you didn't give out all of this info on us.

Guest checkerboard

Well, I saw the Hickman County scrimmage and I wasn't that impressed with anyone but Clift. As a matter of fact, Hickman County held it's own for about the first 20 minutes of the scrimmage. Then, their conditioning (or lack thereof) began to play a factor. The QB and the FB looked impressive after Hickman County's defensive line wore down. Hickman County's DBs missed a couple of easy picks that could have (should have) been intercepted and the middle was opened so wide for the "up the middle" plays, you could drive a bus through it. Don't forget that Lewis County got their hats handed to them by 1A Collinwood who got their hats handed to them by Ezell and Boyd. Lewis County fans get selective amnesia when it comes to their football team and its players. Don't misinterpret this post. I am a Lewis County Football fan. It's just that every year I get to hear the same thing..."This is THE year"...only to see the team get rocked by a speedy West Tennessee team in the second or third round of the playoffs. The problem isn't with the team. They have the talent. The problem is with their approach to the playoffs. They EXPECT to do well in the region and therefore they do. However they HOPE to do well in the playoffs and hopeing to win in ANY sport is suicide.

Guest PapaSmurf

I was at all 3 of the scrimmages of Lewis Co's. Lewis Co did show great team speed. This team has the talent, and now they definately have the speed. Only one thing, we didnt get to see a whole lot these fall scrimmages. But I got a feeling that once the real games start, that we will show how Lewis Co really plays ball. I cant wait to head to Moore Co. Go Panthers!!!

And Bobby Clift is 6'8 255 lbs. now!!

Posted by BoneCrusher:

You have Neal at 6'1 and Ellis at the same height. Umm if Neal is 6'1 Ellis is like 6'5. I would appreciate it if you didn't give out all of this info on us.

LOL... Most decent coaches will watch films, use scouts and read the newspaper, not gear up for you guys by what I write on this website. But if you really want me to stop, send me the same amount of money my editor pays me each week and I'll stop.. thanks!

Posted by checkerboard:

Well, I saw the Hickman County scrimmage and I wasn't that impressed with anyone but Clift. As a matter of fact, Hickman County held it's own for about the first 20 minutes of the scrimmage. Then, their conditioning (or lack thereof) began to play a factor. The QB and the FB looked impressive after Hickman County's defensive line wore down. Hickman County's DBs missed a couple of easy picks that could have (should have) been intercepted and the middle was opened so wide for the "up the middle" plays, you could drive a bus through it. Don't forget that Lewis County got their hats handed to them by 1A Collinwood who got their hats handed to them by Ezell and Boyd. Lewis County fans get selective amnesia when it comes to their football team and its players. Don't misinterpret this post. I am a Lewis County Football fan. It's just that every year I get to hear the same thing..."This is THE year"...only to see the team get rocked by a speedy West Tennessee team in the second or third round of the playoffs. The problem isn't with the team. They have the talent. The problem is with their approach to the playoffs. They EXPECT to do well in the region and therefore they do. However they HOPE to do well in the playoffs and hopeing to win in ANY sport is suicide.

Ahhh another discerning fan. When speaking in the negative, you should share all of the facts. In the spring scrimmage with Collinwood, we had just lost our starting center in an automobile accident, one starting guard was out recovering from shoulder surgery and our entire offensive line was put together piecemeal. Ellis Dailey had been in the system, oh about 4-5 days, Michael Sowell had just returned to the team. I sincerely think that this would and should play into the equation somewhere. Granted, they got thumped in that scrimmage but I believe that there were some slight extinuating circumstances?

Your take on the Hickman County scrimmage is appreciated, how about a thought on the Bruceton scrimmage? Or the Lexington scrimmage?

As for your thoughts that the team "Hopes to do well in the playoffs"... I can only "hope" you aren't serious...lol

Guest checkerboard
Posted by donhaney:
Posted by checkerboard:

Ahhh another discerning fan. When speaking in the negative, you should share all of the facts. In the spring scrimmage with Collinwood, we had just lost our starting center in an automobile accident, one starting guard was out recovering from shoulder surgery and our entire offensive line was put together piecemeal. Ellis Dailey had been in the system, oh about 4-5 days, Michael Sowell had just returned to the team. I sincerely think that this would and should play into the equation somewhere. Granted, they got thumped in that scrimmage but I believe that there were some slight extinuating circumstances?

Your take on the Hickman County scrimmage is appreciated, how about a thought on the Bruceton scrimmage? Or the Lexington scrimmage?

As for your thoughts that the team "Hopes to do well in the playoffs"... I can only "hope" you aren't serious...lol

Well, I didn't see the other two scrimmages so I couldn't make a judgement call on those games. Question...had Collinwood been practicing longer than Lewis County? Are two offensive linemen so irreplaceable that they are the difference between winning and getting a country ###### whuppin'? Is Lewis County that thin? Was Collinwood at full strength? Were Bruceton and Lexington at full strength? Was Lewis County's defense so distraught over the loss of their 2 irreplaceable offensive linemen that they allowed 6 or 7 touchdowns to be scored on them?

Do you think teams like Ezell-Harding and Riverdale hope or expect to win the state? Do you hope or expect Lewis County to win the State? Be honest. Does your throat tighten up when you hear the words "Martin" and "Westview" used together in the same sentence? Do you wish West Tennessee was a different state, like West Virginia? Do you wish they would expand the classifications to 1A through 10A?

There is a difference between being pessimistic and being realistic. What you viewed as being negative was actually an unbiased view on that scrimmage and on Lewis County football in general. Until the Panthers win the Big One, I'll continue to be a doubter. :D

Guest TheFlame

Well, Its good to know that everyones a Panther fan. All that needs to be said is "ITS FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE"

Good luck Guys I will see you Friday Night.

OH and bye the way, Checkerboard, Lewis County beat Goodpasture last year in a scrimage and I think that Goodpasture (which is from middle Tennessee) smacked Westview in the mouth in the final. So...GO back to playing checkers and take your doubting attitude with you. This is a football message board not checkers.