Greeneville's New Conference Schedule Set

WGRV

I certainly did not mean to make light of our teams accomplishments and storied history, but these days, success is measured in state championships...whether we like it or not. While we could continue to play up with limited success, we will ultimately fall victim to larger schools with larger rosters, more depth and a larger talent pool. I would not be adverse to this but since TSSAA will not allow us to play up in some sports and not in others, it creates a very uneven playing field for other sports such as wrestling and soccer. And its really easy to sit back as an adult with different priorities and talk about how proud we all should be to have won conference championships and made the play-offs but surely you remember how badly you wanted to win and move on, come play-off time...how much you desired that championship. Its time these kids had a fighting chance at acheiving their goal.

In the old days, 3 state championships including the privates. In the next 3 weeks, seven (7) state championships will be decided. Beginning in 2009, eight (8) state championships will be decided in football, 6 public and 2 private. Championships are becoming more the measure. In the time I played and coached from the late 60's to the early 90's, conference titles were the mark of a solid program as state championships were almost mathematically unattainable in FB. Also with the developement of girls sports and other sports that were not traditonal 40 years ago, a school is now measured by its overall athletic program.

Though I respect the mythical state championships of the Kingsport Indians, those news clipping and trophies mean little outside of Kingsport. With a playoff format they could have been just as one and done in the 30's to the 60's as they have been the last few years.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a team your goal should be to obain the greatest prize of your particular sport, but in today's time we have truely lost focus. Win at any cost. I am not here pro or con in this post to debate a decision by any team, but just to state that the pressures of today's world is, forget what we learn along the way, but win the gold ball regardless. As a result, schools have had to join in the rat race or face the pressures of society (fans/parents).

It's already been named!

It's called the UETCC (Upper East Tennessee Cupcake Conference).... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

J/K

Anyways, one legit question.... with the new turf, were those rocks taken out of the endzone? There was always a history with the slope of that endzone, and I was wondering if it was still there.

Mr wpfast if I understand from your previous post you live in Fl. So it makes me wonder why you have so many negative post about Greeneville.

You started a thread about our Q-back after that fire had been put out by Coach T

On another thread you made a post about how you knew first hand that Gville pulled strings to let players play when they should not have.

and now you are making fun of Greene County School system.

Are you a former student who didn't get to play as much as you wanted too? Or are you a former staff member who's services were no longer needed?

Youth or bidderness is the only two reasons I can think of that would cause someone to always be negative.

I hope things get better for you in Sunny Fl so you wont have to be so bitter in Tn.

As a team your goal should be to obain the greatest prize of your particular sport, but in today's time we have truely lost focus. Win at any cost. I am not here pro or con in this post to debate a decision by any team, but just to state that the pressures of today's world is, forget what we learn along the way, but win the gold ball regardless. As a result, schools have had to join in the rat race or face the pressures of society (fans/parents).

"win at any cost" makes it sound like you think we're selling out our morality by playing within our division. I don't think it's losing focus to want to be the best of your peers in what you do....thats what drives competitve sports and business. For a long time we have been the little fish in the big pond, swimming hard to avoid getting eaten, knowing we will eventually be gobbled up by a bigger fish. These kids want to be competitive and win. They want, not only success, but recognition. If playing with schools our own size is the rat race, well I guess we'll just have to win that one too. I just think its time allow these kids to let the rest of Tennessee know the state doesn't end at Dollywood.

I would hope that playing in the proper classification might reduce some of that win at any cost, because we had to move our feet twice as fast just to win at the higher classification.

I would hope that playing in the proper classification might reduce some of that win at any cost, because we had to move our feet twice as fast just to win at the higher classification.

Great minds think alike /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

My comment was not a jab at the decision to move to our proper classification. I throughly understand the reasoning behind it and actually agree with the decision. I was just sharing my opinion as to the importance of winning in today's society. Playing in the correct class will make the possiblility of proceeding futher a greater and more obtainable possibility.

My comment was not a jab at the decision to move to our proper classification. I throughly understand the reasoning behind it and actually agree with the decision. I was just sharing my opinion as to the importance of winning in today's society. Playing in the correct class will make the possiblility of proceeding futher a greater and more obtainable possibility.

With all due respect, Torch, this is a football thread and indicting society on its attitude towards winning is kind of a buzz-kill. We all want to win...always have, always will. We would not be having this conversation if Greeneville was the perennial conference wimp....we would be tearing our program apart like they are on the Cocke County thread.

So with that being said, have we locked up the non-conference schedule yet?

With all due respect, Torch, this is a football thread and indicting society on its attitude towards winning is kind of a buzz-kill. We all want to win...always have, always will. We would not be having this conversation if Greeneville was the perennial conference wimp....we would be tearing our program apart like they are on the Cocke County thread.

With all due respect, barb, you are correct this is a football thread. But just like to give some food for thought along with the football talk. As far as the non-conference schedule, haven't heard any news. Go Devils!

The Wimp comment hits the nail on the head.Greeneville has allways been tough guys,no we didn't beat DB or SH every year,but we tried !! That's what makes it hard on the of old timers.It would be great if Greeneville could beat the bigger South team and upset the greatest program in the state on the way to a state championship.If they don't,they will not be second rate because they fall in with the rest of us old Devils.They will be stars to the young kids in town, who played against the very best and went down as men fighting a great battle.That will be just as good as beating teams nobody has ever heard of ,and winning a state championship .I know,because I was one of those little kids looking up at the Devils years ago!!!

The Wimp comment hits the nail on the head.Greeneville has allways been tough guys,no we didn't beat DB or SH every year,but we tried !! That's what makes it hard on the of old timers.It would be great if Greeneville could beat the bigger South team and upset the greatest program in the state on the way to a state championship.If they don't,they will not be second rate because they fall in with the rest of us old Devils.They will be stars to the young kids in town, who played against the very best and went down as men fighting a great battle.That will be just as good as beating teams nobody has ever heard of ,and winning a state championship .I know,because I was one of those little kids looking up at the Devils years ago!!!

So, rather than getting beaten by the greatest program in the state, how about giving then the chance to become just that? Man, I can remember how bad it felt to lose the big game(mine was basketball)...i'm sure you can as well.

When your kid loses that big game, you live it all over again and you know nothing you can say will make it better. Now that we have given these kids a chance win the big game, we should not lessen their future accomplishments by comparing the stregnth of their competition. I for one would love to have one of those "home of the state champion Greeneville Greene Devils" signs at the city limits.

So, rather than getting beaten by the greatest program in the state, how about giving then the chance to become just that? Man, I can remember how bad it felt to lose the big game(mine was basketball)...i'm sure you can as well.

When your kid loses that big game, you live it all over again and you know nothing you can say will make it better. Now that we have given these kids a chance win the big game, we should not lessen their future accomplishments by comparing the stregnth of their competition. I for one would love to have one of those "home of the state champion Greeneville Greene Devils" signs at the city limits.

If there were a lot of South Greene people on here,the response would be to take a 5 minute drive out the Asheville highway and see a sign saying home of the Girls State Championship for the 20th century.I still talk about the great teams they had and the girls that were so good out in that area before there was even a South Greene.They would compete and beat you,nomatter how many kids went to your school.That was an accomplishment,just as what this years team has allready done for Greeneville football.