Maryville @ Rhea

BackValleyRally

I believe if you look back on this thread your friend Mr.Shackleford started all this and continued on. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Enough. Pride, this thread's moving pretty fast, so I'll recap. This whole thing started because of what I said in post #97. Somehow this guy feels slighted. This is the last I'll speak of it, but the point was that this team is no fluke and I have the same dang-near exact opinion of our D as you do (4 men on the line stops the run better than 3 do, which is exactly what the coaches did last week to their credit, by the way). This guy's opinion is out there for everybody to see, so I won't rehash. Consider it over and done with.

________________________________________________________________________________

As for the game, I will say this: This is the best chance Rhea has had ever had to beating Maryville. This is the best top-to-bottom football team we've had since I've been watching the Green and Gold. Our secondary is playing surprisingly well as of the last two weeks, and given our improved tackling since the McMinn game, I think we've got more than just a puncher's chance here. I haven't even mentioned the D-line and linebackers. We've got some guys that look like they just love to hit. We've stayed away from the big play as of late (Cleveland game notwithstanding), which is key against these guys. We can't let them break our backs with big plays. We seem to be bending but not breaking on D. We're giving up yards and maybe some long drives, but we seem to really bow up near the red zone. Hopefully, this trend will continue.

I don't know exactly what Maryville has matchup wise, but you can rest assured that they'll be well-coached, disciplined, in position, and may run a trick play or two. They will always be a tough out. I do not believe anyone, especially a high school football team is invincible. This will require the effort of these young mens' lives.

If this is ever going to happen, this is the time. I think a lot of the former players (myself included) really want to see this happen. These guys have whooped us enough. One of these days, somebody's got to knock these guys off the perch. It is an inevitability. It just might as well be us. We've seen these guys almost every year with the same end result. There should be no surprises, shellshock or intimidation of who or what they are.

I'll join you coachspanky. Tallent as a sophmore is very poised at qb and is a great athlete. Moffett well what can I say, he is just a ball player and a threat every time he touch's the ball. Lovelady, Swafford and Stone are all good recievers and also play well on D. Revis and Walker are men above men on the O-line and Revis is doing a great job on D. England is an animal on D has a motor that does not stop. Rice is a hard runner every time he touch's the ball. Price, Finch and Cagle play very solid D.

In my opinion this will the best RCHS team overall to face off with Maryville. GO EAGLES

thanks for the info-it was wonderful reading about kids that are gonna play friday night. i can't wait!!!! this is what the playoffs are all about and the best thing about it is no tv timeouts!!! GO RED REBELS

Well if this game was decided on which team wrote the most words this week , Maryville would get destroyed . /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Fortunately , that is not the determining factor of the outcome of this game .

By the way , It cracks me up when I see This Maryville team Is "beatable ", or this Maryville team Isn't as good . Sure , this team is different from past teams , but this team has been dominant this year . Other than the first halves of the West & Halls games , and the Alcoa game , Maryville has been totally dominant . I saw some of these great Maryville teams in the past have some huge struggles down to the wire with Central , Morristown West , and Powell . I'm very proud of this team , they play with a ton of heart , and I think most people who actually watch Maryville play quit saying a long time ago that this team didn't match up to other past teams .

I'm glad all of you Rhea co. posters are confident and predicting a victory , we wouldn't want it any other way , but I can assure you , Maryville will be confident too .

As I have read through this thread, something has stuck out to me as odd. Several Rhea Co fan have talked about the importance of getting the team fired up and ready to play....through teary eyed peptalks from former players, the ghost of coach ?, a big golden eagle from the mountain etc. I understand the need to play with intensity and being fired up for the game. If you need to bring in all these elements to get a team fired up about playing in the 3rd round of the playoffs, something is wrong. I appreciate the fact that the fans are especially excited about the game and I wish our fans would show a little more excitement by cheering more but the players should not need cheerleaders to get them ready for this matchup.

I don't mean any disrespect and hope this will not be seen as such, I just believe a team should be focused and intense going into the game from internal motivation and then supported by the fans throughout the game.

I've seen Maryville play 7 out of the last 10 years (or, every time Rhea has gone up there). One thing that seems to be true no matter what is that Maryville would always have a little trickery up their sleeve and execute to perfection. I saw in the paper today that they have scored 71% of their TDs on the ground - does this year's team run it more than in the past? I realize I've just had a small sampling (one game out of their 15 each of these years), but I seem to remember them as a more pass oriented team. That's not to say they are the Texas Tech of high school football, as I know they ran a fair amount - it just seemed like a high percentage for them.

The other thing I always noticed was that from the stands at least, Maryville players seem to usually conduct themselves with good sportsmanship, which I always admire.

And yes, the announcer cracks me up with the way he says MERRY-VILLE. I'm sorry, not a knock on the guy...it's just that I am pretty sure he may be one of 7 people in east TN that actually pronounce it correctly.

I'm pumped about this game and looking forward to the Maryville fans coming on down to ol' Rhea County for a change. I have utmost respect for your program....but my gosh do I want a win Friday. LETS GO EAGLES!

I've seen Maryville play 7 out of the last 10 years (or, every time Rhea has gone up there). One thing that seems to be true no matter what is that Maryville would always have a little trickery up their sleeve and execute to perfection. I saw in the paper today that they have scored 71% of their TDs on the ground - does this year's team run it more than in the past?

This year we do not have as much of a deep threat that we have had in years past. We still spread the offense but a lot more short passes and complimented with a good run offense. Many of our scores have been punched in from close after a long drive of passes and runs. It seems that GQ is trying to stretch the defense more and more each week.

I understand what you're saying mhs. But imagine if you were a player on the team about to play the dynasty that is maryville high school? You have to go in thinking "wow, they haven't lost in 4 years. There's no way we can win this game." Confidence is a huge asset to a winning team. It's just intimidating and it doesn't matter the front you put up and say how confident you are on the outside, deep within you you know you are not going to win this football game. I'm not disrespecting RCHS, i am generalizing. Not even putting up the rebels too much. This could be the case with any team. Say a team that has tradition and is a good team has trouble with the same team every year. They go maybe 8-2 every year and one of their losses is always to their hated rival they haven't beaten in 11 years. The mindset of the team is almost impossible to overcome. They come in thinking, "we cannot win this game"

I commend the fans of RCHS trying to pump their guys up, because deep in their minds they feel that there is a small chance that they can stay close, or win this game. Just my thoughts...

STARSNBARS- I hope to run into you at the game. You seem like a good-ol boy and your family must be good people. Most all of my family talks like you but I don't think I have ever seen any thing written or typed by them. I must say it is a bit of a challange reading your post. By the way how is the hunting up your way. There are a lot of deer around here but a big buck is hard to come by. Mostly because most of the hunters around here shoot little bucks right out from under their mothers or the taxidermest has to mount the big bucks with glowing orange eyes if you know what I mean. Anyway hope to meet you and the family. Be safe, feed momma, and enjoy the game.

ZIPPO my daddy-in-law lives down neer Tellyco and he wont let me bow hunt orr shoot his pet dear.....Now he goes ever weekend two either Marshull County orr Henree County and bags thair dears......mommaSTARS is parshull two "Hartford" (named aftur tha big buck on tha insurance commershull) down at her daddy's and momma's two.......ZIPPO ewe got two bee a good ole boy two.....One of my favritt thangs iz my Rebel Flag ZIPPO that eye use two lite tha stove wood..... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I understand what you're saying mhs. But imagine if you were a player on the team about to play the dynasty that is maryville high school? You have to go in thinking "wow, they haven't lost in 4 years. There's no way we can win this game." Confidence is a huge asset to a winning team. It's just intimidating and it doesn't matter the front you put up and say how confident you are on the outside, deep within you you know you are not going to win this football game. I'm not disrespecting RCHS, i am generalizing. Not even putting up the rebels too much. This could be the case with any team. Say a team that has tradition and is a good team has trouble with the same team every year. They go maybe 8-2 every year and one of their losses is always to their hated rival they haven't beaten in 11 years. The mindset of the team is almost impossible to overcome. They come in thinking, "we cannot win this game"

I commend the fans of RCHS trying to pump their guys up, because deep in their minds they feel that there is a small chance that they can stay close, or win this game. Just my thoughts...

I love this post,especially the end of it,just your thoughts. I can assure you that this team is not intimidated by your streak or what has happened in the past.Actually I have talked to a few players and they wouldn't have it any other way.There is no pressure on the Eagles, it is all on the Rebels to keep the streak going.Last time I checked I believe these two teams are undefeated this post season.Kudos to the Rebels and there achievements but the bottom line is this Friday the Eagles are going to give their all and go after the win.

i tend to disagree. you my friend are a fair weather fan. I remember you from other boards, and you, though less outspoken, are just like Bldrunner. A hater that pretends just to be a "high school football fan." I also disagree on your pressure analysis. I think Maryville has no pressure. Go out, do what GQ tells you, win the football game. That's the plan. The seniors on the Red Rebel football team have 3 rings on their fingers, in fact the basketball players have 4. The pressure is all on Rhea. They have to beat arguably the best football team in Tennessee.

Good luck to both teams. Bundle up guys, gonna be a cold one. See ya there.

GO REBELS

As I have read through this thread, something has stuck out to me as odd. Several Rhea Co fan have talked about the importance of getting the team fired up and ready to play....through teary eyed peptalks from former players, the ghost of coach ?, a big golden eagle from the mountain etc. I understand the need to play with intensity and being fired up for the game. If you need to bring in all these elements to get a team fired up about playing in the 3rd round of the playoffs, something is wrong. I appreciate the fact that the fans are especially excited about the game and I wish our fans would show a little more excitement by cheering more but the players should not need cheerleaders to get them ready for this matchup.

I don't mean any disrespect and hope this will not be seen as such, I just believe a team should be focused and intense going into the game from internal motivation and then supported by the fans throughout the game.

Let me tell you something MHS82 these are not teary eye peptalks. I just happen to mention that our boy's came out last week a little weak. That is not the norm and I just didn't want to see it this week. Our fans have up and down games and I for darn sure want them up this week. Sorry that your Rebel fans are letting you down. No disrespect taken here. I just see it as a little jealousy. Go back to sleep MHS82.

The CLAW IS COMING

GO EAGLES

Many fans can remember the days back in the 1980's when our stadium was packed out and people live and breathed Rhea County football. Many folks just miss that environment, and, I suppose, would like to see it back again. All of us want to see the glory days, and, in the midst of a successful season like we are having, can sense the vestiges of that excitement in the air once again. Nothing personal, but I don't really believe someone not from here could understand.

Also, the boys need to know that, even though the odds are stacked against them, they have some fans that still support and believe in them. I'm sure they'll be focused and intense. I also I don't think they're going to be scared. I hope to goodness some coach or player gets in these boys' heads and gets rid of the intimidation factor. I'm usually not one for these type of inspirational speeches, but I feel compelled to do so.

They need to know that it's 11 on 11. They're just 17-18 year old kids just like our boys. They go to school. They practice. They have girlfriends. They get tired during conditioning. The make the occasional mistake. They hurt if they're hit hard enough too. They're not athletic freaks; they just play smart, disciplined football. Yeah, Maryville's eleven players may have three rings, but each game stands on its own. Boys, if you're reading this, just know that whether you win or lose tomorrow night, all that anyone can ask of you is to go out there, play smart, and play hard. Mistakes will happen. You can't control that. What you can control is going out there every single play and giving it all you've got. You've come too far to just give up now in the face of a little adversity. Win or lose, you're going to remember this night for the rest of your lives, and, if it's the latter, then go down swinging (not literally). We believe in you boys.

Phew... I feel much better now.