Jedidiah Covington- Jackson, TN Bound

ripvanstinkle

This is kind of a contradictory post. On one hand, you say that college coaches are smart enough to know who is a better player regardless of competition and then you come back and say that if a kid wants to be Big Time, then he should go to Liberty. Correct me if I'm wrong, but could a college coach not tell if a kid was good enough to play on a high level despite the fact that he plays against weaker competition. The coach would evaluate the player rather than who he is playing against.

It doesn't matter too much regardless, however, because most of the evaluating goes on during the summer now with AAU programs rather than with the kid's high school.

no it is not condradictory. the point i was making and just didnt feel like getting into too much detail is that you only get better when playing better competition. In practice (which is where you get better as a player, not games) if a kid played at liberty he would be challenged MUCH harder day in and day out due to the amount of talent and athleticism there as apposed to the other schools. Playing better competition in practice and then in games prepares you better for the higher levels which college coaches take into consideration. Casey Prather chose to go to Northside instead of Liberty b/c he wanted to be a instant starter/ star.... although we all know he is an amazing talent we must also say that he would be a much better player right now had he gone to LIberty and had to play against Sain and the Longs, and the other tall post they had. He doesnt get the same level of comp at NS so even though he is good he is not GREAT yet.

Fact is if playing at smaller places where you could score and stand out more got you looked at harder then why is it not blue chip HS athletes go to small D1 or D2 schools where they could score 40 or 50 a night instead of 25. Everyone knows the better the comp, the bigger the stage, the more you will get noticed and the better off you will be...... at least that is the rule 95% of the time. Now, if the "christian education" is their main motive then go to one of the Privates. But last i checked this is a basketball thread and the debate is over BASKETBALL decisions!!!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[oh yeah, forgot one point.... i wasnt saying a coach would know how good a kid is regardless of where they were playing overall.... I meant that if a kid was playing on a loaded team against other really good teams and he only scored 15 a game that doesnt mean the kid on teh so-so team playing weak teams that scored 30 a game is better. I meant that coaches are smart enough to know the kid not scoring as much is as good or better but he just doesnt have to do it all.

GET IT NOW?

[oh yeah, forgot one point.... i wasnt saying a coach would know how good a kid is regardless of where they were playing overall.... I meant that if a kid was playing on a loaded team against other really good teams and he only scored 15 a game that doesnt mean the kid on teh so-so team playing weak teams that scored 30 a game is better. I meant that coaches are smart enough to know the kid not scoring as much is as good or better but he just doesnt have to do it all.

GET IT NOW?

I get what you are saying. I am only saying that a coach can tell how good a player is regardless of who he is playing against. There have been some big time players come from schools that play inferior talent on a regular basis. A coach that makes millions of dollars is probably smart enough to tell if a player can play regardless of who that player is playing against. Therefore, if the player is good enough, then he would not have to go to a LIBERTY or say WHITE STATION to get recognized. If he is good enough, then a coach would find out about him anyway. I really wasn't trying to flame your post, so I apologize if it came across that way.

sHarshaw Iagree with you. If a kid is playing against comp everyday in practice then they get better but if they dominate practice then their growth is stunted some.

As far as this being a joke it may be. However they do have homeschool leagues in other states. Don't know about TN. If he is Amish then he doesn't grow a beard until he is married. If he is anygood he might be on the AAU radar but most kids are found out around here because of high school ball.

sHarshaw Iagree with you. If a kid is playing against comp everyday in practice then they get better but if they dominate practice then their growth is stunted some.

As far as this being a joke it may be. However they do have homeschool leagues in other states. Don't know about TN. If he is Amish then he doesn't grow a beard until he is married. If he is anygood he might be on the AAU radar but most kids are found out around here because of high school ball.

Very odd to hear of a bigtime Amsih baller, But I guess anything is possible.

I would love to see an Amish baller it would be great. However if he was real good I think there might have been a story on him somewhere. There was a kid in NYC a few years ago that was Jewish(orthodox I think) He had a few stories on him because he was an oddity. Not very many good Jewish(hard core practicing) ballers. I would be great for this kid to come in and dominate. Story of the year!

Hey guys, sorry it's taken me so long to write back. I havent been at work today or yesterday because I've come down with some kind of stomach bug and unfortunately my computor just got fixed. But I just read all of these posts about the legitimacy of Jedidiah and I assure you that this is not a farce. I read on here that someone said how if he was truly Amish he would be antisocial or something. I work with his uncle and his uncle has repeatedly assured time and time again me that Jedidiah, his parents, and his younger brother Christopher were a part of an Amish community. Now, I dont completely understand how the Amish community works, but from what I understand, they are moving to Jackson because his father wanted to get a real job in a factory environment. I suppose he wants to work a lot of hours. I have never met Jedidiah's father personally, so I can't say much about him. So the way I understand this whole thing is that I guess Jedidiah would still be considered Amish, but he will be in a normal environment. I honestly don't know all that much about the Amish folk.

In regard to his tournament team, I don't have the name of the team right now. As I said, I haven't been at work today or yesterday, so I havent seen his uncle at all. I wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing about Jedidiah on the web yet, as I did say he is the best ket secret in Tennessee, possibly the nation. Keep in mind that I'm not 100% sure that it is indeed an AAU team. I simply saw him play in some local tournament this past summer. It wasn't a big tournament, in fact, it was more or less just a few local teams signed up to play. I'm going to try and get in touch with his uncle this weekend and find out more information about Jedidiah for you guys. Hopefully he will make up his mind soon on where to go to high school. I can tell Jackson is filled with rivalries that would be great for this kid to play in. Thanks for the patience...

I would love to see an Amish baller it would be great. However if he was real good I think there might have been a story on him somewhere. There was a kid in NYC a few years ago that was Jewish(orthodox I think) He had a few stories on him because he was an oddity. Not very many good Jewish(hard core practicing) ballers. I would be great for this kid to come in and dominate. Story of the year!

There is that Hasidic Jewish rapper who was quite big for awhile.... /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> This has just been one odd thread....not saying Rip is a liar.....just gotta see how this pans out....So many people get on here and make up strange things. Sometimes it is hard to tell truth from bizarre fiction. Not saying the Amish can't play ball..... as far as I know I've never seen an Amish baller......just don't hear about it often.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has seen this kid play. He's homeschooled right now, but he has played in several AAU type tournaments for the past few years, and I had the opportunity to watch this guy play in some sort of home school league this summer. He is incredible. 6'7, 220, and he can jump outta the gym. He shoot the three ball very well to be as big as he is and has excellent ball handling skills. The good news for west tennessee basketball fans (or bad news for opposing teams) is that Jedidiah is going to be attending a private school in Jackson, TN, next year as a Sophomore. He's currently looking at University School of Jackson, Jackson Christian School, and Trinity. I work with his uncle and he told me that he is most likely going to go to Trinity as he likes the coaching staff there. As far as attitude goes, you'll never meet a nicer kid. He's from an Amish community, so he is a very simple kid, but his manners and likeabilty are off the charts. I don't know much about the three schools he's looking at, because I live outside of Chattanooga, but I'm wondering if anyone knows what this will do for the schools for whichever one he chooses. Oh, and if you get a chance to catch any home school tournaments or leagues around the area, I would check it out just to see Jedidiah.

well I think that he would fit well at south side high school. he has a growing program and he his a wonderful coach.Liberty

h

has a tight roster they transfer kids all the time if he wants to play and be seen south side will be the best choice of schools.