BA vs MUS

singlewing

If I read it correctly, TraderB was referring to another post questioning why the game wasn't on TV, and he called it a travesty. And it was....these games should be on the tube. We have hundreds of channels of junk, and can't serve the communities with a good football game.

Thanks, SpartansFan.

----------------------------------------

Since OwlsBooster just joined CoachT about a week ago, he probably doesn't realize that I have been proclaiming MUS' dominance & Championship-status ever since Week Zero! Of course, it was then that I witnessed the impressive manner in which they dissected a very good Melrose team.

As such, I've had nothing but positive things to say about the Owls.

-------------------------------------------------------

SpartansFan......Good luck vs Franklin. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall at least one period of time when Memphians felt a certain superiority to Davidson County. When I was in college, I had occasion to travel regularly from one end of the state to the other. That was back when the population of the county dictated the first part of a car's license tag. Shelby County, being the larger and more populous, sported the "1" designation (e.g. 1-2345). Davidson County was #2, which those folks really resented. After all, they were the state capital, and should therefore be "#1". Of course, whenever any of us spotted a tag in the 90's, we were pretty sure we were probably looking at one of the few cars in that county! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Thanks for your congratulations. Our Owls are very proud, mostly that they were able to give Coach Alston a 13-0 season and a state title along with it.

You're dating yourself if you remember that bit of license plate trivia. I actually lived in the Sumner County section of Goodlettsville; i remember how pleased we were when new tags came out, and Sumner moved from "18" to "12."

Running the table in Div II is quite the accomplishment. BA is a more talented team than people give them credit for being. With the number of returning players they had from the 2007 team, i was very surprised that anyone beat them. And MBA is, well, MBA. Seldom does anybody (dusting off a dangerous old chestnut here...) hand us our heads on a platter. My point here is that there may be some criticism of the MUS schedule (the only team I really know anything about is Olive Branch, a respectable little program, so I'm told), but they handled two very good teams in the semi-finals and finals.

OK. OK. OK. Some historical perspective that MAY help explain the attitudinal problems of Memphis/W TN. I grew up in Memphis but lived in Nashville for 12 years. My father, a college educated, successful businessman, was always complaining that Nashville didn't respect Memphis, thought they were better than Memphis, didn't share the taxpayers money equitably, on and on and on. This feeling was endemic. I remember once when he was complaining about Nashville getting more than 5 times as much money for road construction. I quoted him an article pointing out that not only did it cost about 5 times as much to build roads there (blasting into rock plateau versus laying asphalt on old farmland) but that Nashville had a road problem that didn't exist in Memphis. Frankly, I think there may have been some inferiority complex too - Nashvillians enjoy a higher standard of living, make more money and generally are better educated in the "Athens of the South." I personally saw very little of a corresponding superiority complex among Nashvillians; usually it was a few snooty landed "Old Nashville money" types who generally had disdain for everybody not on their social register, regardless of from where they hailed. But we've got some of those types here in Memphis too.

You may have heard the expression "left sucking the hind teat," referring to the "runt" of the litter. That was the expression my aunt used to describe Memphis' relation to Nashville. So, it's sorta inbred....Food for thought

Wow.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> This has never been my take between the two cities. I was born in Memphis, raised til I was 10 in Jackson, then we came to Nashville. The homes of Memphis and the Midtown area are absolutely beautiful! I used to have a home at Pickwick Lake, and seeing the folks come in on the weekend, I have always thought Memphis folks are much more about "old money" than Nashville....Memphis by far represents more of a Southern town. The feel is just different. Go to Beale Street and you notice the difference right away. There is no better BBQ than Neeley's Interstate BBQ (we have a store in North Nashville, but it isn't the same), better chicken than Gus and better atmosphere than The Rendevous. I absolutely love Memphis. I go to Graceland EVERY year.....the Civil Rights Museum, Sun Records.....the zoo (I have a pass in Memphis, but not one at Grassmere in Nashville). Outside of a few families in Nashville, the city is more "new money".....definitely Brentwood and Franklin. Nashville, in my opinion, is more cosmopolitan than Memphis and brings an overall mix of culture to the area because of all the corporate transfers. Most folks I know transferred to the Nashville area. Nashville is really not "the south". Be proud you are from Memphis. It is a great town!

Ok....back to the game..... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I recall at least one period of time when Memphians felt a certain superiority to Davidson County. When I was in college, I had occasion to travel regularly from one end of the state to the other. That was back when the population of the county dictated the first part of a car's license tag. Shelby County, being the larger and more populous, sported the "1" designation (e.g. 1-2345). Davidson County was #2, which those folks really resented. After all, they were the state capital, and should therefore be "#1". Of course, whenever any of us spotted a tag in the 90's, we were pretty sure we were probably looking at one of the few cars in that county! /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Thanks for your congratulations. Our Owls are very proud, mostly that they were able to give Coach Alston a 13-0 season and a state title along with it.

I remember those plates!!! White with black numbers. Madison Co. was 7.......Williamson Co. was 14......since we are going "old school".....remember having to soak in water, then put your wheel tax decal on the inside front window???? What a pain!

Wow.... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> This has never been my take between the two cities. I was born in Memphis, raised til I was 10 in Jackson, then we came to Nashville. The homes of Memphis and the Midtown area are absolutely beautiful! I used to have a home at Pickwick Lake, and seeing the folks come in on the weekend, I have always thought Memphis folks are much more about "old money" than Nashville....Memphis by far represents more of a Southern town. The feel is just different. Go to Beale Street and you notice the difference right away. There is no better BBQ than Neeley's Interstate BBQ (we have a store in North Nashville, but it isn't the same), better chicken than Gus and better atmosphere than The Rendevous. I absolutely love Memphis. I go to Graceland EVERY year.....the Civil Rights Museum, Sun Records.....the zoo (I have a pass in Memphis, but not one at Grassmere in Nashville). Outside of a few families in Nashville, the city is more "new money".....definitely Brentwood and Franklin. Nashville, in my opinion, is more cosmopolitan than Memphis and brings an overall mix of culture to the area because of all the corporate transfers. Most folks I know transferred to the Nashville area. Nashville is really not "the south". Be proud you are from Memphis. It is a great town!

Ok....back to the game..... :blush

I grew up in Memphis in the 50s and 60s. During that time, there was no doubt that Memphians perceived, rightly or wrongly, that Nashvillians looked down on them. I don't know how old you are. My point was that after I moved to Nashville in 1968, the only "attitude" problem I encountered was among "old money," something which I saw in Memphis also. I agree that Nashville is more "new money" and with much of what you say. Memphis is a product of the agrarian, plantation South; Nashville is not. Years ago, Memphians took pride in being "the cleanest city in America." Now we try to deflect our frequent evaluation as one of the worst cities in America in which to live. Just this week, we were named the 4th worst city in America in which to raise a child (apparently our extremely low

cost-of-living kept us from being #1). We perennially "win" dubious distinctions for violent crime, sexually transmitted diseases, rape, teen pregnancy, children born out-of-wedlock, low HS graduation rates, etc. Yet, after having moved back here in 1980 and having had many chances to move back to Nashville, I am still here. I am aware of all the positive, good things.

I don't know how much of the "blog" you have read, but the whole point of my comments was an attempt to explain perhaps the background of the "attitude" of some Memphis posters that Nashville has a hard time accepting anything here, e.g, a HS football team, could be better than Nashville's counterpart. It's almost a reflex response for some.

Thanks, SpartansFan.

----------------------------------------

Since OwlsBooster just joined CoachT about a week ago, he probably doesn't realize that I have been proclaiming MUS' dominance & Championship-status ever since Week Zero! Of course, it was then that I witnessed the impressive manner in which they dissected a very good Melrose team.

As such, I've had nothing but positive things to say about the Owls.

-------------------------------------------------------

SpartansFan......Good luck vs Franklin. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I didn't want that issue to lay around too long because I knew you have spoken very favorably of MUS this season. Looks like your impression of them was on the mark too!

Thanks for the well wishes. We'll be heading east Friday morning to get the show going.

Owlbooster I appreciate you apologizing for me, but the fact is that some are pretty sensitize if they think anything I said wasn't "classy". People said that MUS played a soft schedule all year, and I took exception with that bc I know that is patently false. To me it is an instance of your team won, I look like I might be wrong, so I'm going to accuse you of not being classy bc that's about all I've got right now. As an Ole Miss fan I know pretty well the "your fans aren't classy" card. I think it is pretty weak in this instance when you consider what I said and as acknowledged what some BA and MBA fans say in threads. When you are undefeated and still ranked below one loss teams and teams that have never done anything but win regular season games against MTN teams its ok to feel slighted and tell people that you don't think that is accurate. Then the same people tell you the reason you are considered below those teams in the regular season is bc you played a soft schedule. How is your schedule soft? Well bc you are from West TN of course. I think thats a pretty accurate description of how things were laid out to me. Forget that one or two posters said that they respected MUS etc. As I told those one or two posters I appreciate that and nothing I say is directed to you and I think MBA and BA are outstanding football programs. I think I still reserve the right to say what is obvious that MUS '08 is one of the dominant teams in DII history. Anything else about me trying to be a martyr or not being classy is just sour grapes IMO. I tried to discuss football and didn't say anything that wasn't true and didn't try to run anybody down (except Ensworth a little and I think there are plenty of MBA and BA fans that have let Ensworth get under their skin).

I have consistently been very respectful towards BA and MBA's football programs. And actually I'm in the 5th grade at PDS so I hope one day I will be lucky enough to play for the Owls.

ya your deffinetely not in the 5th grade, if you are, thats sad

-- as far as the game went, i was very suprised at all of BA's fumbles, with a short field to work with almost every scoring drive, it made it pretty easy for MUS. But regardless, any time you exploit a team with the talent that BA has it is a good win. I also didnt think BA looked like they played together, but I've herd thats been there story all year in their losses

Owlbooster I appreciate you apologizing for me, but the fact is that some are pretty sensitize if they think anything I said wasn't "classy". People said that MUS played a soft schedule all year, and I took exception with that bc I know that is patently false. To me it is an instance of your team won, I look like I might be wrong, so I'm going to accuse you of not being classy bc that's about all I've got right now. As an Ole Miss fan I know pretty well the "your fans aren't classy" card. I think it is pretty weak in this instance when you consider what I said and as acknowledged what some BA and MBA fans say in threads. When you are undefeated and still ranked below one loss teams and teams that have never done anything but win regular season games against MTN teams its ok to feel slighted and tell people that you don't think that is accurate. Then the same people tell you the reason you are considered below those teams in the regular season is bc you played a soft schedule. How is your schedule soft? Well bc you are from West TN of course. I think thats a pretty accurate description of how things were laid out to me. Forget that one or two posters said that they respected MUS etc. As I told those one or two posters I appreciate that and nothing I say is directed to you and I think MBA and BA are outstanding football programs. I think I still reserve the right to say what is obvious that MUS '08 is one of the dominant teams in DII history. Anything else about me trying to be a martyr or not being classy is just sour grapes IMO. I tried to discuss football and didn't say anything that wasn't true and didn't try to run anybody down (except Ensworth a little and I think there are plenty of MBA and BA fans that have let Ensworth get under their skin).

I have consistently been very respectful towards BA and MBA's football programs. And actually I'm in the 5th grade at PDS so I hope one day I will be lucky enough to play for the Owls.

ya your deffinetely not in the 5th grade, if you are, thats sad

-- as far as the game went, i was very suprised at all of BA's fumbles, with a short field to work with almost every scoring drive, it made it pretty easy for MUS. But regardless, any time you exploit a team with the talent that BA has it is a good win. I also didnt think BA looked like they played together, but I've herd thats been there story all year in their losses

Your response could have done without the "made it pretty easy for MUS" comment. I didn't see a single one of those fumbles presented to MUS on a silver platter. Take a look at the MUS turnover ratio and you'll see that MUS has been taking the turnovers all season...no gifts involved there. MUS won straight up, just like they've done all season -- the offense soared and the defense roared.

Note to TraderB...you called it from the start! Thanks for your unflagging support. And 3yards, nice prediction results!

Your response could have done without the "made it pretty easy for MUS" comment. I didn't see a single one of those fumbles presented to MUS on a silver platter. Take a look at the MUS turnover ratio and you'll see that MUS has been taking the turnovers all season...no gifts involved there. MUS won straight up, just like they've done all season -- the offense soared and the defense roared.

Note to TraderB...you called it from the start! Thanks for your unflagging support. And 3yards, nice prediction results!

Well, it didnt exactly make it harder, sure, it takes a lot to cause those but it wasnt the BA team we are used to seeing. Maybe I didnt make it clear enough, give MUS all the credit, they won straight up, and they had a great year.

LOL. And then maybe you can play for the Rebs....good luck. You will be dangerous when your androgens kick in!