Daniel Boone\David Crockett '09'

Firefighterfmo

Daniel Boone can and probably will make the playoffs. If they defeat Crockett, Volunteer, and Central they'll get the 3rd spot. Remember the upper half of each class size in a particular district makes the playoffs.

I think Boone shouldnt have any problems with that, hopefully they will have some good talent next year and be able to play up there with the bigger schools. Thanks for the imput THSVIKINGS2004, see ya at the games

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Boone shouldnt have any problems with that, hopefully they will have some good talent next year and be able to play up there with the bigger schools. Thanks for the imput THSVIKINGS2004, see ya at the games

How's your record been against Volunteer over the past few years? You got them this year, right? BTW Unicoi should win one or two next year.

I think they should have left it along.It makes a lot of sense that what ever DB and SH do will matter to a school in the 5A class next year, and vice versa.I don't see any good for either of our teams on most friday nights.If a smaller school beats DB or SH(and it will happen},it's funny and great for the small school.If DB or SH win by 50{and it will happen},then they are big bullies.The TSSAA has just out smarted theirselves on this one.

Yes. The winner of the Dobyns-Bennett-Science Hill game will automatically qualify for the 6A playoffs. The top three finishers in 5A will also qualify for the playoffs (In most cases that will be South, Tennessee High and Daniel Boone). The loser of the DB-Science Hill game could also qualify if they finish 2nd overall in the district or get a wild card spot.

I'm not sure that is entirely correct. I think the way it plays out is as follows in this theoretical example:

Theoretical Big 8 Conference Final Standings

1. Dobyns Bennett (7-0)

2. Sullivan South (6-1)

3. Science Hill (5-2)

4. Tennessee High (4-3)

5. Daniel Boone (3-4)

6. Volunteer (2-5)

7. David Crockett (1-6)

8. Sullivan Central (0-7)

Playoff automatic qualifiers will then be as follows:

5A (3 automatic qualifiers)

1. Sullivan South (6-1)*

2. Tennessee High (4-3)*

3. Daniel Boone (3-4)*

4. Volunteer (2-5)

5. David Crockett (1-6)

6. Sullivan Central (0-7)

6A (1 automatic qualifier)

1. Dobyns Bennett (7-0)*

2. Science Hill (5-2)

You take the overall conference record (3A) at the end of the regular season and compare it to other schools in your playoff class (5A/6A). Thus, whoever wins the Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill game doesn't necessarily mean they will automatically make the playoffs. It's comparing overall conference records (3A) out of 7 conference games, NOT comparing playoff class conference record (5A/6A) out of 5 games for 5A and 1 game for 6A. Hope that makes sense.

And yes, in the case of Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill, the second place finisher in 6A could still automatically make the playoffs only if they finished second in the overall conference standings (3A). Otherwise, they will be hoping for a wild card spot.

I'm not sure that is entirely correct. I think the way it plays out is as follows in this theoretical example:

Theoretical Big 8 Conference Final Standings

1. Dobyns Bennett (7-0)

2. Sullivan South (6-1)

3. Science Hill (5-2)

4. Tennessee High (4-3)

5. Daniel Boone (3-4)

6. Volunteer (2-5)

7. David Crockett (1-6)

8. Sullivan Central (0-7)

Playoff automatic qualifiers will then be as follows:

5A (3 automatic qualifiers)

1. Sullivan South (6-1)*

2. Tennessee High (4-3)*

3. Daniel Boone (3-4)*

4. Volunteer (2-5)

5. David Crockett (1-6)

6. Sullivan Central (0-7)

6A (1 automatic qualifier)

1. Dobyns Bennett (7-0)*

2. Science Hill (5-2)

You take the overall conference record (3A) at the end of the regular season and compare it to other schools in your playoff class (5A/6A). Thus, whoever wins the Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill game doesn't necessarily mean they will automatically make the playoffs. It's comparing overall conference records (3A) out of 7 conference games, NOT comparing playoff class conference record (5A/6A) out of 5 games for 5A and 1 game for 6A. Hope that makes sense.

And yes, in the case of Dobyns Bennett and Science Hill, the second place finisher in 6A could still automatically make the playoffs only if they finished second in the overall conference standings (3A). Otherwise, they will be hoping for a wild card spot.

I came to that conclusion based on this:

4. Teams would qualify for the playoffs in the following manner:

a. One half of the teams in each group (6A, 5A) in each district are

automatic qualifiers (Example: 4 teams - 2 automatic qualifiers; 6 teams -3

automatic qualifiers; 3 teams 1 automatic qualifier; 1 team 0 automatic qualifiers)

b. Teams finishing 1st or 2nd in the district are automatic qualifiers

c. Wild cards based on TSSAA tiebreakers

So, the only way DB wouldn't automatically qualify is if they they had more conference losses than Science Hill, right?

Tricitiessportsfan, here is the Vikings schedule for next year. I had to write it down as they calling them on the radio but I'm 99% sure this is how it unfolds:

1. East A

2. Crockett H

3. Virginia H

4. Science Hill H

5. Greeneville A

6. Voluneteer A

7. Dobyns-Bennett H

8. Central A

9. Boone H

10. South A

I found it interesting that we won't be playing Elizabethton for the first time in ages. However, the Vikings picked up a game with Greeneville. The South game will be in Week 10 again.

I think they should have left it along.It makes a lot of sense that what ever DB and SH do will matter to a school in the 5A class next year, and vice versa.I don't see any good for either of our teams on most friday nights.If a smaller school beats DB or SH(and it will happen},it's funny and great for the small school.If DB or SH win by 50{and it will happen},then they are big bullies.The TSSAA has just out smarted theirselves on this one.

This theory really isn't that crazy for the rest of the state, but up here it looks ridiculous. Every other area has multiple big schools with similar numbers that they will beat up on each other and the best teams will come out. We on the other hand, just have 2 enormous schools who are gonna beat up on everyone but themselves. Basically, there will be many games where the players are just going out there to not get hurt. I hate it as a Central fan because we schedule 5 losses, 4 at the best, without even playing a game. I hope that we can get people like Unaka on our out of conference games and then be able to clip Crockett, Volunteer, and Boone occasionally and win 3-4 in the next 4 year stretch.

This theory really isn't that crazy for the rest of the state, but up here it looks ridiculous. Every other area has multiple big schools with similar numbers that they will beat up on each other and the best teams will come out. We on the other hand, just have 2 enormous schools who are gonna beat up on everyone but themselves. Basically, there will be many games where the players are just going out there to not get hurt. I hate it as a Central fan because we schedule 5 losses, 4 at the best, without even playing a game. I hope that we can get people like Unaka on our out of conference games and then be able to clip Crockett, Volunteer, and Boone occasionally and win 3-4 in the next 4 year stretch.

I agree ..I think central kinda got shafted. What were they 3-4 students over the cut off ?

Tricitiessportsfan, here is the Vikings schedule for next year. I had to write it down as they calling them on the radio but I'm 99% sure this is how it unfolds:

1. East A

2. Crockett H

3. Virginia H

4. Science Hill H

5. Greeneville A

6. Voluneteer A

7. Dobyns-Bennett H

8. Central A

9. Boone H

10. South A

I found it interesting that we won't be playing Elizabethton for the first time in ages. However, the Vikings picked up a game with Greeneville. The South game will be in Week 10 again.

Awesome, thanks for the schedule. I tend to forget that we can't play each other for non-conference games anymore, so it is rather nice that we are required to now. On the other hand though, it's slim pickings for Dobyns Bennett, Science Hill, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High concerning non-conference games in the Tri-Cities region. Nice to see Greeneville on the schedule though. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Awesome, thanks for the schedule. I tend to forget that we can't play each other for non-conference games anymore, so it is rather nice that we are required to now. On the other hand though, it's slim pickings for Dobyns Bennett, Science Hill, Sullivan South, and Tennessee High concerning non-conference games in the Tri-Cities region. Nice to see Greeneville on the schedule though. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Elizabethton has 5 non-district slots to fill so it's kind of difficult to figure out why that match up couldn't work out. I guess games with Science Hill and Greeneville are more of a priority for Betsy. I heard they also scheduled CAK. But I've always enjoyed having Greeneville and Daniel Boone on Tennessee High's schedule, much better than Unicoi Co. and Sullivan North.

No school around here should have trouble finding a game though. Coach Stubbs mentioned on the radio that Knox West and Soddy Daisy had contacted him in need of a game.