CAK drops Webb from schedule

PowerSweep

I understand that but a middle school is a completely different environment than a high school and its not fair to say a kid is from somewhere when it was as a middle school student. My roommate, for example, was an all state receiver for CAK who just happened to attend Webb for 6th grade. I wouldnt say that he is "from Webb", you know what I mean?

Good point, I just hate to see this series end for now... I know Webb would have rather kept the series alive and not have to fill the void.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is embarrassing as a cak fan to drop the series with webb pretty much on the sole basis of webb beating cak and cak being mad about it b/c they can offer scholarships. If cak wants to make it even A work harder or B go to DII. That being said if cak ever went to DII and started offering scholarships i would loose all respect for their athletic department. Sometimes in life you have to understand that life isn't always fair and get over the little issues and face life head on as man, not as a child who gets beat then complains and runs away.

Good point, I just hate to see this series end for now... I know Webb would have rather kept the series alive and not have to fill the void.

Sweep,

I too would have liked to see this series continue. I have enjoyed not only the high school games, but even the middle school games between CAK and Webb the last couple of years. CAK has their work cut out for them to compete in the new district alignments. Even without Webb on the schedule it will be difficult for CAK to get an automatic bid next year. Webb's road should be just a little softer than the last year or two if I understand correctly that they are in the small private division (where they should be.) BTW, you got a very good player from CAK's MS this year as you stated a few weeks ago. As a fan who want's to see CAK build their football program, I would be less than candid if I didn't tell you I was very, very discouraged with this transfer. CAK is a wonderful school with a fine young football program, but if his heart is in playing QB in the wing T at Webb that is where he should be. Good luck to the Spartans next year.

...CAK is a wonderful school with a fine young football program, but if his heart is in playing QB in the wing T at Webb that is where he should be. Good luck to the Spartans next year.

Govolsknox... I believe this kid went to Webb in elementary school. Nevertheless, CAK has gotten some good ones from Webb after MS so I guess it all works out. I've never seen this kid play but my son did and he said that he was a man among boys in MS. Coach Meske at Webb adjusted his Wing-T two years ago when he had a senior QB who could really run. Probably 50% of the plays were variations off the Wing-T that had a QB run-pitch option. They won the state championship that year. If this kids a good runner then he will certainly get the call to do so.

On the other hand, perhaps the transfer had nothing to do with football. Both schools offer a good education however I would feel confident in saying that Webb's HS is regarded as better and more conducive to college prep.

Govolsknox... I believe this kid went to Webb in elementary school. Nevertheless, CAK has gotten some good ones from Webb after MS so I guess it all works out. I've never seen this kid play but my son did and he said that he was a man among boys in MS. Coach Meske at Webb adjusted his Wing-T two years ago when he had a senior QB who could really run. Probably 50% of the plays were variations off the Wing-T that had a QB run-pitch option. They won the state championship that year. If this kids a good runner then he will certainly get the call to do so.

On the other hand, perhaps the transfer had nothing to do with football. Both schools offer a good education however I would feel confident in saying that Webb's HS is regarded as better and more conducive to college prep.

Sweep,

While I believe CAK's ability to prepare students for college is among the best in east TN, I would not disagree that Webb would be at the very top of that equation.

As far as the transfer, I personally would prefer my son play in CAK's offense as a quarterback as opposed to Webb's offense in the Wing - T. I would not necessarily feel that way if my son was a tail back, OL, etc. But for a receiver or QB, it would be an easy choice for me as far as football is concerned as to which system gives him the best chance to play at the next level. (Of course, your mileage may vary.) On the other hand, I think many families at CAK have their kids enrolled there because of the aspect of Christian education. There is no question that this particular family could have afforded to send their children anywhere they wished. I do know his older brother graduated from CAK last year.

As far as this athlete is concerned, yes he can run. Well above avg. arm strength for his age, needs work on accuracy but already well above avg, and way above avg ability to run. Extremely elusive and quick. One particularly noteworthy point is that sometimes you see a kid who hits his growth spurt ahead of the rest of the kids and he is really a "man among boys." This does not accurately describe this kid IMO. He has good size, but that's not the story here. He plays much bigger than he is, and I believe you will see him take another step between 8th and 9th grade.

I have the utmost respect for Webb and many, many friends whose children attend Webb. As for my family, it is an easy decision to attend CAK. High school is a package deal, not academics, athletics, or environment alone. When you put the whole package together I would put CAK at the top of the list, second to none. Good luck to the Spartans next year as well as the fine young man that transferred there.

I don't know for sure, but is the middle school player in question a "redshirt" I think it would be very easy to be "a man among boys" if you are a year older AND more mature than the other players.

Again, I repeat, I don't know for sure......

I do not think this applies in this case. BTW, he would also be major contributor on the ms basketball team.

• 5 months later...

He is a year older than normal-very good athlete-very good attitude-lot of extra growth would surprise me based on parents and brother.

CAK doesn't go D2 for several reasons including the lack of teams in the area, the travel, the cost to travel, the impact on those sports that play more than once a week(bball, baseball, etc.) and frankly I think CAK likes competing against the public schools. 2009-10 will be tough as they have to play some 4A teams in football-toughest schedule yet, by far.