When Will the Private Schools (DII) have ENOUGH of the TSSAA?

WarriorFan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy....THAT didn't take long for the thread to get bannished to Siberia.

Please, Brandon. I suppose the allegations of recruiting, and the calls for us to go off and form our own association came as a shock too? (There's not an emoticon for friendly sarcasm, but there ought to be....pretend it's here)

As usual, you make excellent points, but you might as well be writing an anti-glacier book. BTW, enjoy the game Weds. I may see if i can find a radio broadcast and listen in.

Please, Brandon. I suppose the allegations of recruiting, and the calls for us to go off and form our own association came as a shock too? (There's not an emoticon for friendly sarcasm, but there ought to be....pretend it's here)

As usual, you make excellent points, but you might as well be writing an anti-glacier book. BTW, enjoy the game Weds. I may see if i can find a radio broadcast and listen in.

Thanks KWOODROOF! I understood immediately what you meant. I appreciate your kind words of my posts. I may not be the most popular on the board, but I can get a group of folks fired up... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> Sensationalism at it's best! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I enjoy your posts as well. I believe you give plenty of thought as to what you write. Your posts are well written.

I hope the TSSAA at least allows a streamcast so you can hear the game. You live out of the area if I am thinking right???? It would not amaze me in the least bit if the are no radio broadcasts.

Why do the DII schools put up with this treatment? Why not form their own league? Now that the thread has been put to the public-private debate board, I'm gonna say it.....if DI and DII cannot go back together, I am for all private schools in their own league....financial aid giving and non financial aid would be the divisions. They could still play the TSSAA teams, but it would be like playing an out of state team. With the treatment the TSSAA gives DII, I don't see where DII needs them anyways....

Do you remember the term "separate but equal"? DII definitely doesn't get equal. I believe that DII is a minority living under their own form of segregation. the bottom line is that 14-18 year old young men and women are being treated horrible by supposed grown ups who run the TSSAA. DII schools pay their money to the TSSAA, yet they don't get equal billing or treatment. This is not right. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

They could still play the TSSAA teams, but it would be like playing an out of state team. With the treatment the TSSAA gives DII, I don't see where DII needs them anyways....

I actually believe that they would be unable to... If I remember correctly, there can only be one officially "sanctioned" sports body by the National Federation of High Schools per state. By TSSAA rules, members of the TSSAA can only play officially NFHS sanctioned schools.

Not fighting against you, just pointing out that there would need to be some major adjustments if they did "split" for them to play each other.

The more I think about it.....should this board not be more appropriately named the DI-DII Debate board instead of Public-Private Debate ? There are private schools in DI....my kid goes to one. Personally, I am a fan of DI, but I recognize that DII has better athletes overall and plays a more serious brand of football in TN.

CoachT and moderators.......how about thinking of renaming it to a more appropriate name? DI-DII is really about the debate on this board, and would attract more posters....

CoachT and your mods....I do appreciate this website..... I should renew my membership.

The field is not as unlevel as many people think, especially for true PREP schools like MBA and MUS, which give many more ACADEMIC scholarships than athletic. The TSSAA of course can not and does not differentiate between the two. It limits the number of scholarship students who can play, and it's only a few (2? 4?). It's not like the teams are loaded up with "ringers." This actually has some unfortunate effects. My best friend was a top-notch student from a poor family. He was on academic scholarship. He was also an excellent athlete but couldn't play because there were no scholarship spots available. Nowadays, there are very good athletes who end up on soccer, wrestling, swimming or lacrosse teams because there are no scholarship spots available on the major sports teams.

As far as recruiting, you are fooling yourself if you think there is none in the public schools, especially in the better, bigger programs. Sometimes you can slip into another preferred school by having only a mailing address or a "cousin" living in the district whose address you can list as a residence.

Owlbooster, I think you may have your rules confused. There was a "quota" rule that limited the number of aid recipients who would be eligible in a given sport, but that was the rule before DII was created. The "quota" rule was the product of a committee of independent school leaders who were looking for a way to "level the playing field" among themselves. The creation of DII followed years of debate over the "quota" rule, when a number of public school leaders wanted to do away with all eligibility for aid recipients while a number of independent school leaders wanted to have unlimited eligibility for aid recipients. DII -- whether good or bad -- was a sort of compromise result. The independent schools that want unlimited eligibility for aid recipients may have it, but they compete in the DII classification in the playoffs. The "quota" rule was eliminated with the creation of the DII classification.

Before castigating TSSAA, did anyone inquire about the role of the DII Committee in the scheduling of the DII football championship games?

Who is on the DII Committee and what role do they play on scheduling the DII State Championship game? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Brandon........I really do think you're right on with this one. 3 days of missed class time is a little much, and if you are shelling out the money it takes to go to a prestigious school like MBA, or MUS, you would be a little mad at 3 missed days of class time, to say the least. Now, I'm no private school guy, but Brentwood-MUS on a Tuesday, with no TV coverage, except on the net, is crazy. This should be one of the biggest games of the year.

My .02

Who is on the DII Committee and what role do they play on scheduling the DII State Championship game? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

They are heads of DII schools, and they meet regularly with one of the Assistant Executive Directors of TSSAA and make recommendations about a variety of things that affect DII. For example, it was the DII committee that proposed playing the DII basketball state championships at Lipscomb instead of at MTSU with the DI championships. Most of the DII committee's recommendations on things like this get approved unless they are logistically impossible. I don't know if they had anything to do with this decision or not. I'm just suggesting it might be worth finding out before you assume that this is evidence of TSSAA picking on DII.

I actually believe that they would be unable to... If I remember correctly, there can only be one officially "sanctioned" sports body by the National Federation of High Schools per state. By TSSAA rules, members of the TSSAA can only play officially NFHS sanctioned schools.

Not fighting against you, just pointing out that there would need to be some major adjustments if they did "split" for them to play each other.

Under the TSSAA bylaws, a member school can play any school team -- not just NFHS sanctioned schools. But I think there are a lot of costs and logistics involved in running an association, and I doubt the DII schools are anxious to take on those costs. TSSAA membership is a pretty good deal financially for them, and with the DII committee they actually have a lot of control over their championship events.