Dyer County vs Union City

N2Choctaws

Girls team was pretty dang rough back in the 80's when I played...got elbowed in the jaw, knocked it out of place. My coach popped it back in /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> went back in and played....then again that was when you could play with a bloody nose, knees without a health panic. We had no medics on the sides or trainers.

You brute you..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

J/K

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, heck no.... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Though I am pretty sure I don't qualify as a youngster anymore. My 7 yr. old asked me how old I'd be on my birthday....so I told her. She said "Well you are half-dead" /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> guess to a 7 yr. old I am old....haaaa!!!haaa!!!

You're just a baby !...........Even though Purple is calling you a Brute...lol

Football at Lake County has been our forte but we have had good basketball teams before the arrival of Coach Whitby. Steve Speed and Clennon Dailey were great coaches here as well. We were not as bad as some people seem to think before Coach Whitby got here. The teams we had with Russell Avery(the current Russell Avery's father) Terry Bolden and John Michael Clay were great teams and they made a state tournament appearance. The teams with Charles Belk, Charles Rice, and Jimmy Robinson known as the R&R Express had some outstanding teams with Rice making All State for two years if memory serves me correctly. We also had a state tournament appearance with Brett Johnson as head coach. The one thing that Coach Whitby has brought to Lake County is a consistent long term reign. Before he got here noone would stay very long. Coach Speed and Coach Dailey were in my opinion as good a coaches as coach Whitby. Great coaches aren't standing in line to come to Lake County. Lake County was on the map in basketball before the arrival of Coach Whitby. He has stayed here so we have been consistenly good. The other coaches would have been consistent as well if they had chosen to stay. The facts are that Lake County had good basketball teams before Coach Whitby, not every year, but we had stretches of very good teams just not for as many years in a row because we had coaches that would leave. Coach Whitby is a great coach but he not the savior of Lake County basketball.

I played on that team with both Belk boys and Charles Rice and Jimmy Ray Robison and coached by Coach Dailey...That was a tough team..Rice could shoot with anyone and Robinson could jump out of the gym..Lake Co was Class S back then...Trenton was the team to beat back then with Dave Luter..about 6'10,Buddy Sorrell about 6'4 best I can recall,but could shoot from the side and hit 8 out of 10 times...Ricky Jackson,a smooth guard that I think played at Dyersburg St and another really good player,named Bailey that was about 6'5..Kenton was also tough back then with Aaron Mays..

Uh huh....that is me...all brutish and such /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ....I gotta go to Wal_Mart.......my brutishness helps me get down aisles, great spots in check out lines and snatching the most wanted last toy out of those other wimpy shoppers hands /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> .

Yea the teams where good a long time ago when my mom went to LC back in the 70's but you gotta say that along with the good teams LC had some that where terrible in the sense that they would have been demolished by teams in 14A now and had trouble beating some of the lower teams. LC has always had the athletes and football has regined forever. I never could understand how the Jr. Falcons could be real good but the HS wasn't very good when those players came of age.

Could it be that our perception of "terrible" is different. I will admit that we were terrible during the time when Russ Davis was our coach if memory serves me correctly. I think that with the exception of those years we have definitely won more games than we have lost. I don't believe if you look at Lake County's body of work in basketball that you could consider our basketball history as terrible or that we are doormats. If somebody can show me numbers that prove me wrong I would like to see it. I am just working on memory here and could be wrong.I think we may have went winless or close to it with Coach Davis. I believe that with the exception of Union City, Humboldt and perhaps Halls and Trenton we have fared well with the "lower"(your term not mine) teams in 14A over the years. We have had good teams in the 70's, 80's, 90's and also since 2000. I would say that our basketball history is good and not terrible if you look at the big picture. Most teams have bad years. Lake County doesn't have a monopoly on that. As a matter of fact with our limited resources throughout the years I think we have done quite well in sports.

I played on that team with both Belk boys and Charles Rice and Jimmy Ray Robison and coached by Coach Dailey...That was a tough team..Rice could shoot with anyone and Robinson could jump out of the gym..Lake Co was Class S back then...Trenton was the team to beat back then with Dave Lutter..about 6'10,Buddy Sorrell about 6'4 best I can recall,but could shoot from the side and hit 8 out of 10 times...Ricky Jackson,a smooth guard that I think played at Dyersburg St and another really good player,named Bailey that was about 6'5..Kenton was also tough back then with Aaron Mays..

Hey bigster around what year did Blake play for Lake County. There is some Lake County bloodline that moved from Lake County because of our limited resources whose offspring has done pretty well elsewhere, along with Rodney Bonds who played for Union City and also the X man who played for Union City, all Lake County bloodlines making it happen in other places. If their parents would not have had to leave for better opportunities and we could have kept the good coaches I believe our basketball fortunes as our football fortunes would have been better. It ain't bad now but definitely could have been better.

"I will admit that we were terrible during the time when Russ Davis was our coach if memory serves me correctly."

speller...Russ Davis is the baseball coach at Obion Central now...

Hey bigster around what year did Blake play for Lake County. There is some Lake County bloodline that moved from Lake County because of our limited resources whose offspring has done pretty well elsewhere, along with Rodney Bonds who played for Union City and also the X man who played for Union City, all Lake County bloodlines making it happen in other places. If their parents would not have had to leave for better opportunities and we could have kept the good coaches I believe our basketball fortunes as our football fortunes would have been better. It ain't bad now but definitely could have been better.

What ya'll lost in basketball ya'll gained in football, players from Missouri...Or was that just Urban Legend???... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

"I will admit that we were terrible during the time when Russ Davis was our coach if memory serves me correctly."

What ya'll lost in basketball ya'll gained in football, players from Missouri...Or was that just Urban Legend???... /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

Nah, I think that would be Rural Legend, ain't nothing urban about Lake County.

Who did Lake Co get in football from Missouri?

I believe Blake was about 10 years behind me..Around 83 or 84..I believe Greg Nichols played then..Same year that Bryan Avery played football I think...There have been several players that had bloodlines leave or either the players themselves left for one reason or another..You mentioned Rodney Bonds...I believe there was a Holliman kid that played football and basketball at Westview years ago..And probably the best two players that didn't play their senior years were Fredick Tharpe,a hihg school Jordan at the time and Thomas Wyatt,who I believe ended up playing a couple years in East St.Louis or Ill. and ended up starting at New Mexico St..Both these players would have put Lake Co as a premier program back then..!I'm sure there are a lot of other players that left Lake Co throughout the years and several other schools have lost players as well but with Lake Co being so small and not many jobs..has a bigger impact..!

I believe Blake was about 10 years behind me..Around 83 or 84..I believe Greg Nichols played then..Same year that Bryan Avery played football I think...There have been several players that had bloodlines leave or either the players themselves left for one reason or another..You mentioned Rodney Bonds...I believe there was a Holliman kid that played football and basketball at Westview years ago..And probably the best two players that didn't play their senior years were Fredick Tharpe,a hihg school Jordan at the time and Thomas Wyatt,who I believe ended up playing a couple years in East St.Louis or Ill. and ended up starting at New Mexico St..Both these players would have put Lake Co as a premier program back then..!I'm sure there are a lot of other players that left Lake Co throughout the years and several other schools have lost players as well but with Lake Co being so small and not many jobs..has a bigger impact..!

Was alot of really good players back in the day. It was just almost impossibe to get any exposure back then. Anthony Cannon from Kenton (early 80's) is one of the best basketball players I have ever seen at the highschool level. If things were like they are today back then Cannon would be a D1 player, even from a school as small as Kenton was.... HE WAS THAT GOOD...FOR REAL!!!!!! Cannon's game back then would more that match up with todays players, especially with the three pointer. He didn't even play college ball.