2009 sullivan south football

Guest footballfan100

Maybe I'm the recruiting coordinator?? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Careful, Volman! You'll barely be able to get your big recruiting head in the gym! ...and don't steal my favorite face /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> ! I've got dibs on that.

Now for the real secret: Volman recruited Bobby T. from DB to South. He didn't realize the nutty mom came with the deal. Win some/lose some, right Volman?! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, Volman! You'll barely be able to get your big recruiting head in the gym! ...and don't steal my favorite face /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> ! I've got dibs on that.

Now for the real secret: Volman recruited Bobby T. from DB to South. He didn't realize the nutty mom came with the deal. Win some/lose some, right Volman?! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That was an awesome package deal. Maybe he does deserve a raise. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

That recruiting class was off the charts! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I think the defense next year will be more talented next year due to the amount if experience the underclassmen got this year. I think Little Garvin will not be playing defense next year. There is the plenty of depth on the d line as it is.

he is a LB/and there really isn't alot of depth on the D line were only about 3 deep experienced wise

I'll agree with you on track improving our football speed.I did not know Coach Hilton was taking on the track team. that is great news for football and track. He will do a fantastic job and I bet participation in track improves.

he was also a coach last year.

Bobby's friend that came over from DB could help South in just about every sport.He is one of the few that I know that really went to DB.A lot of the guys went to Sevier or Robinson but never went to DB.North got a few that played for the Tribe last year and helped them this year.There is one kid that I don't know what happened to him {JS},I thought he was going to South this year.

OK D here are some links. 2009 Nike Combines and 2009 Nike Training Camps The combines are not scheduled yet but it should be any time. The Florida, Atlanta, and Charlotte combines will get preregistered very quickly so you need to check these websites daily. Once they are full all you can do is take a chance and just show up anticipating other people won't show and enable you to "walk on". It usually isn't a problem just showing up but I personally wouldn't won't to drive 6-8 hours or better and be turned away. When you register you will recieve a confirmation email and then you just print it and your set. I have seen a combine be full and then at a later date accept more registrars due to advance cancellation. It's a shot in the dark.

It's free. Many...no most will tell you it is a waste of time and it is if you don't prepare and have no clue what to do. I personally feel it is vastly important. They basically separate D1 from everybody else to sort of give the big coaches an idea who to look at. Now the naysayers will point to many D1 players who did not attend a Nike combine and it is true...not everyone uses it as a recruiting tool. But one things for sure...you score a 95 or better and you immediately go public on Unapproved Website.

No one will school you on the process. No one did me. There are things you need to be doing right now to be in the game. And as you know his grades are a major factor.

Good Luck.

OK D here are some links. 2009 Nike Combines and 2009 Nike Training Camps The combines are not scheduled yet but it should be any time. The Florida, Atlanta, and Charlotte combines will get preregistered very quickly so you need to check these websites daily. Once they are full all you can do is take a chance and just show up anticipating other people won't show and enable you to "walk on". It usually isn't a problem just showing up but I personally wouldn't won't to drive 6-8 hours or better and be turned away. When you register you will recieve a confirmation email and then you just print it and your set. I have seen a combine be full and then at a later date accept more registrars due to advance cancellation. It's a shot in the dark.

It's free. Many...no most will tell you it is a waste of time and it is if you don't prepare and have no clue what to do. I personally feel it is vastly important. They basically separate D1 from everybody else to sort of give the big coaches an idea who to look at. Now the naysayers will point to many D1 players who did not attend a Nike combine and it is true...not everyone uses it as a recruiting tool. But one things for sure...you score a 95 or better and you immediately go public on Unapproved Website.

No one will school you on the process. No one did me. There are things you need to be doing right now to be in the game. And as you know his grades are a major factor.

Good Luck.

Interesting process. Can you tell us more about the scoring and how Taylor did? I understand 40 times are very important. What else are they scoring?

Interesting process. Can you tell us more about the scoring and how Taylor did? I understand 40 times are very important. What else are they scoring?

For those unaware the SPARQ composite consists of:

40 yard dash30 yard shuttle runPower Ball...50lb. medicine ball toss done from the knees.Vertical Jump - Measured electronically by how long you are in the air. Not how high you jump. When your feet leave the pad the time begins, when your feet land the time ends.These 4 events are calculated along with your age, height, weight, and position to compile a SPARQ rating. So a 5'5" 205lb. RB's Vertical Jump will be calculated different than a 6'7" 200lb. Wr.

Curt got a 92 I believe (don't quote me on that) and that got him invited to the Nike Football Camps. This is the ultimate goal of attending these combines. The camp is free also. This is where Curt got an opportunity to show his horsepower in front of the cameras, the college coaches, ESPN, etc...

This is what their training should be focused on currently. They can lift if they are scheduled to but the people who intend to go should be throwing a power ball 50 times a day. They should be form running (exagerated movement...thrusting elbows rearward, thrusting knees forward) and timed running (race trim) in the 40. I would gauge 20 a day. Shuttle run...20 a day. Vertical jump 30 quality jumps a day. So you think it is excessive? They only have 6 weeks to get ready. You decide. I've said it before. Technique is everything. Practice makes perfect.

If you are in the first 50 competitors you will find dew on the turf to be a problem. After the dew is displaced the turf will be primed for the next few 100 competitors. After that the turf will become slippery especially for the launch of the 40 and for the whole shuttle run. They will not move the set up areas to take advantage of "fresh turf" so timing is crucial. By midway through the pack everybody is slipping on take off. Trust me, the premier athletes who know this process and know it is a scholarship waiting to happen will manipulate the smallest detail in order to make the most impressive showing. They will open the gates at 8:30-9:00am and by 9:30 there will be a two hour wait. You will be back on the road by 1:00pm. Take film. Take track spikes.

Just my opinion...40 times are dictated by two things. 1.) Form (elbows tucked in tight. knees pointing straight not to the outside. No flailing body parts. Everything in concert for going strainght ahead not side to side) 2.) Explosion! (A lead weight jacket and shorts while jumping rope. And running the stadium) Taylor had even the fastest 4.4-4.3 people off the blocks but lost time due to form on the homestretch.

Taylors SPARQ was 88. 36 Vertical, 38ft. Powerball, 4.2 Shuttle Run, and 4.7-4.8 40 yd. Dash. If any one parameter of the test is drastic for you then you will be pulled. For example if you run a 4.2 40 or a Powerball throw of 48 feet, or a vertical of 44. If your overall SPARQ is in the high 80's but you did one thing exceptionally well such as a 48ft. powerball they you could get invited. Most invitations only come to the 90's scores. Taylor had no prior preparation for the combines. He just winged it.

So there you go. If you got questions just find me at work.

Thanks Comp, for the info. We are really behind in all this but catching up quick. We're looking into the camps online and getting that set up. Feed me as much info as you can as it comes to you. We so appreciate your help.

We're setting him up with a trainer this week and getting his workout schedule/diet/etc. started. He also has to get a job to buy a car for himself. Anyone need some help that requires a strong farm boy?

Comp did you ever get Fletcher a new DVD together? If not gimme a shout Ide be glad to put him one together right quick if you want one for him, I have all the game DVDs for the year just let me know which game and chapters on each you want. This is Bradley Davenports uncle BTW, I did his, email me at mikejohnson@holstonglass.com and I'll give you my cell number and put him one together, Taylors always been such a great kid to talk with, super mature so it would be my honor to make him one.

Any wisdom from you Volman?

Comp is pretty much the man when it comes to the running thing. I could help Bobby with the weight training but what better conditioning could he get than the hard work he already puts in? There is NO substitute for good old hard work and you guys already have that covered. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />