Oak Ridge recruiting violations

rabidwildcatfan

Posted by chsbbfan:

Don'tbe so naive! When Frazier and Phillips were middle schoolers, Prudden and/or assistants were at most every game, not just OR games. It was common knowledge that Prudden made personal visits to their homes to arrange for the tuition payments. It is also common knowledge that the OR program used the TN Stars AAU program for years as a vehicle for recruiting the best players in the area to come play for OR. Just look on the bench in any given year and count the players that are actually from OR, grew up in their community. What I don't understand is how the local girls and parents put up with it. They have no chance to play in their own school. Several girls then go to other surrounding schools to get a chance to play. It is an amazing soap opera of borderline child abuse. Last year the Sevierville parents disclosed their girls were recruited by OR coaches even at a young age through the AAU program. They resisted the temptation to maintain their friends, hometown relationships, etc. The OR sports community openly questions why so few fans attend their girls games. Come on! Where are the local girls? Why should they feel proud to support them? Then you look at the actual track record of girls who have succeeded in Division I programs, does it justify all the effort? No, I say if an athlete is talented enough to go to the next level, it will happen no matter what school they attend. I believe one poster was correct in stating that it comes down to TSSAA and money. But actually, if the OR true local community faced the reality, they could stop it. Sure, many come on their own and also to take advantage of the OR academic opportunities (no denying that!). No it's not jealousy. It is a matter of principle, doing the right thing, and showing kids what is right by example.

Good mark for you, chsbbfan. Hit the nail squarely on the head with that one.

One point to add: The tired old argument about the great, tradition-steeped programs attracting players from other areas cannot be denied in 2002. Kids and parents want to win and play for good teams.

BUT.....which came first? Recruiting or championships? Chicken or egg?

Did the recruitment of players (years ago) create great programs (dynasties), or the other way around? Is it only a coincidence that the top two AAU programs in Tennessee have directly fed the top two high school programs in Tennessee. Just don't insult our intelligence out here. Some of us know exactly what is and has been going on for years.

[Edited by salty on 8-24-02 5:16A]

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All you Clinton fans are great at crying over nothing! :(

Why would any talented girl want to play for CHS? :confused:

You have never and will never beat Oak Ridge! :D

Clinton has never done anything of note in girl's basketball. :(

By the way, didn't you have a girl from Oak Ridge (does the name Bible ring a bell) play at Clinton a couple of years ago? Oak Ridge certainly didn't cry over losing her. Of course, if she had been very good, she would have stayed put! :D

I don't know all the details here, but I do agree a player will get to the highest level of college no matter the high school she plays at. At a school around Chattanooga there were two division I signees in softball this year even though the team finished barely over .500 and fourth in a mediocre Class AA district. Most of the girls in basketball get there through AAU anyway, as far as the top level players. Another thing, some people may say program A is better than program B so that's a good reason to transfer but if the player stayed with her original team maybe it could compete after a couple of years.