Pre-Season Picks....Hey GOMAB!!!

Stokomo

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good that everone has an opinion on some things. But....TJ, Surf, EGO, SLS, Opperman, & Coach HARD, you guys have been on here a while and I have lots of respect for your thoughts. Please give your assessments of the A, AA, & AAA Teams. I know you guys have valuable thoughts. :rolleyes::D

I stay pretty much to the Memphis teams, I'm sorry...I can do a Division II one easily, but you didn't ask about that. Also I have found that many people (especially from the East) promote players, that in my brief life, I do not feel are as good as those of Memphis'. This leads to hurt feelings, acquisations, etc. I honestly feel that the BEST basketball players are from the East/ Middle. The best coaching is also from these areas. The best athletes and the best talent pool is from Memphis. As Gomab has said many times, a 6'3 player in Memphis is a guard, but in the East or Middle he is a post player. Some people from other parts of the state can not grasp that even if you are averaging 15 points a game, if you are 6'2 you are 6'2...Trust me I was a 6'2 post, and my playing career was never much to get excited about :rolleyes: I think the best overall players are from other areas...players who can shoot, pass, and dribble. But these individuals usually are a step or two slower, and more importantly, DO NOT PLAY THE COMPETITION WEEK IN AND WEEK OUT THAT THE MEMPHIS PLAYERS PLAY AGAINST. You wonder why Memphis teams are winning state, and I think many times it is because they play an up and down style of basketball that teams from the East do not see week in and week out. If you look at the above mentioned reasons for why Memphis teams win, we can look at Division II and see that the championships are dominated by Nashville teams. Look at the facts, the private schools have just about the same number of athletes, so coaching and hard work comes in to play. The Nashville area has more private schools in Division II then the Memphis teams, so they play each other more, and are more familiar with each other. We can look at Brentwood Academy's team two years ago with David Harrison. Is it any wonder that Harrison scored about 30 on MUS in the sectionals, but the next game against Ryan he scored 4? Ryan had played BA and Harrison atleast 7 times previous to that meeting, and knew exactly how to match up...and WIN. I believe if the teams from the East played schools from different areas they would feel more comfortable running their offense and also might be better defensively.

Stokomo I'll do what I can. Since I don't live in TN anymore it's hard for me to give my opinion on things like this since I usually only still attend SH games or upper East TN games when I'm in town. But hey man I'll give it a try.

Class A

Rocky Nichols-Hancock County

That's all I know. I haven't seen anybody else in A ball.

Class AA

Vince Redd-Elizabethton

Montrelle Crittenden-Dyer Co.

Brian Fisk-Dyer Co.

Class AAA

Lee Humphrey-Maryville

Nick Bradley-Science Hill

Dane Bradshaw-Memphis White Station

Matt Malone-Greeneville

That's all I got Stokomo.

Guest NashvilleEye

Britt and Humphrey are both locks for AAA.. but I feel the other spots are up for the taking. Tremon Hall and Vince Redd probably both have spots on the AA team... Should be an interesting season!!

Size doesn't matter. I know you remember Science Hills domination years. I don't think they had anyone over 6-4 or 6-5 that played post. Their main players, and boy did they have the CREW, were Nookie Bailey, Brad Fields, and JoVan Johnson who played post @ 6'2". Winning as many State titles as they did, and could have, shows it's the heart that matters. But, I will agree with you that the most above average players come from Memphis. I would take JoVan over most post men anyday. I remember we were at Newberry College doing YBOA and he had 8 dunks in one game, 3 back to back to back. The coach begged me to stop him from dunking the ball. My opinions, for what they are worth, are coming soon about the pre-season rankings. I was trying to get GOMAB's response.

JoVan went to Iowa State and then to another smaller school. Now I don't know what he's doing. You know, east TN has had it's share of athletes that could have made it big. But, for some reason they don't stick to it or aim their goals high enough. Nookie Bailey, JoVan Johnson, Brad Fields, William Miller, Elvin Brown, Andre Anderson, Tylee Henry, JaMichael Mills, Jonathan Wilson, Marty Story, Buddy Sanders, Rashad Wolfe, Shane Williams, & Shane Carnes just to name a few. We have had the athletes in extreme EAST TN. Someone just needs to reach higher to acheive more. :x