East 5 West 0

slimshady

IMO the east vs west debate comes down to numbers. Much of west tn. is rural, where the students that are going to said school are born and raised within that schools boundries. Moving from one school to the next is not as easy as in other areas. Three great examples of this are Milan, Huntingdon, and Mckenzie. These rural areas are also void of any real industry to attract workers with athletes as children. What we have to offer is good country living almost totally devoid of outside distractions. These towns are still much like the town in Hoosiers, where buses are followed, towns still have pep rally's and the school and its athletics are still the biggest show. The stars and moons truly have to align with a great group of kids to be able to compete with more big market teams from the east and middle regions. With that being said I think that the move of Huntingdon down to 1A gives west tn. a very viable threat for a muti year champion in that division IF the talent level improves to levels of previous years in our small town I don't believe you'd find anyone who would argue with that . Our down cycles tend to last from two to three years. I also see Milan as being a legitimate threat to alcoa next year because they return some major components next year and when the get on a run they generally have a very good one that results in a championship or two. Mckenzie will be just as good in 2A as they were in 1A. They've had good jr. high teams the last few years that have eclipsed Huntingdon teams and thats a very good measuring point athletically in most years.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are on meth, crack, or something. Knoxville and Nashville can't compare with all the schools in Memphis. It is not a theory, it is a mere fact. If we combine three schools in Memphis and they will beat down any school in the entire state

What part of 41-4 do you not understand? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Memphis couldn't win,even if ELVIS were still alive. Whitestation, Whitehaven,Cordova, Arlington,Collierville, Houston, all have over 2000 West TN Students. That's the roughly same amount as Riverdale,Smyrna, and all the schools from the Middle and East. But when they meet on the Pigskin Patch, the East CONTINUALLY THUMPS the West. It AIN"T a population thing, unless ya'll have all GIRLS in the West.

IMO the east vs west debate comes down to numbers. Much of west tn. is rural, where the students that are going to said school are born and raised within that schools boundries. Moving from one school to the next is not as easy as in other areas. Three great examples of this are Milan, Huntingdon, and Mckenzie. These rural areas are also void of any real industry to attract workers with athletes as children. What we have to offer is good country living almost totally devoid of outside distractions. These towns are still much like the town in Hoosiers, where buses are followed, towns still have pep rally's and the school and its athletics are still the biggest show. The stars and moons truly have to align with a great group of kids to be able to compete with more big market teams from the east and middle regions. With that being said I think that the move of Huntingdon down to 1A gives west tn. a very viable threat for a muti year champion in that division IF the talent level improves to levels of previous years in our small town I don't believe you'd find anyone who would argue with that . Our down cycles tend to last from two to three years. I also see Milan as being a legitimate threat to alcoa next year because they return some major components next year and when the get on a run they generally have a very good one that results in a championship or two. Mckenzie will be just as good in 2A as they were in 1A. They've had good jr. high teams the last few years that have eclipsed Huntingdon teams and thats a very good measuring point athletically in most years.

Too bad our football powerhouses come from rural areas too bro. TC has the entire county going there and there aint nobody home on friday nights. South Pitt also closes for game day, these towns do have pep rallies and believe me the whole towns follow these teams. In fact, almost all of region four is this way, even with FCS, he possumtowners are into their sports too. Watertown, Gordonsville, Monterey. Now, with the big schools, with an enrollment that large getting talent shouldnt be a problem, that just comes down to coaching. Sorry, but theres a big ol' in your theory there about rurality hurting ya. Plus, Rocky Top is the definition of rural, the west also gets Memphis and Nashville to play in their side of the brackets. For some reason from Murfreesboro east the football is just better than going the other way.

Too bad our football powerhouses come from rural areas too bro. TC has the entire county going there and there aint nobody home on friday nights. South Pitt also closes for game day, these towns do have pep rallies and believe me the whole towns follow these teams. In fact, almost all of region four is this way, even with FCS, he possumtowners are into their sports too. Watertown, Gordonsville, Monterey. Now, with the big schools, with an enrollment that large getting talent shouldnt be a problem, that just comes down to coaching. Sorry, but theres a big ol' in your theory there about rurality hurting ya. Plus, Rocky Top is the definition of rural, the west also gets Memphis and Nashville to play in their side of the brackets. For some reason from Murfreesboro east the football is just better than going the other way.

Your power houses listed are in 1A, exactly where I predict west tn. will become well established. with the drop down of Huntingdon. TC is a county school while Huntingdon is a city school. Besides that TC goes 2A next year, as do most of the rest you mentioned.

Are we talking population, or talent.

Man, we are talking both. The true talent is spreaded out. If the talent was combined that lives within 5 miles of one another, there would still be a problem. You would have the state's leading receiver in Mitchell"s Keiwone Malone and in the backfield you would have the leading rusher for Shelby Count and a Mr. Football finalist Demario Carter, the leading tackler in the state none other than LB andrew Franklin. Also in the backfield you would have Artaves Gibson a sopohmore that rushed for over 1500 yards this season, you could split Mitchell"s Oline with Whitehaven's O line, take Whitehaven and Fairley secondary along with 2 of Whotehaven's LB with Webb, oh I forgot about Melrose QB Tromarcus Toney and TE Darrel Washington, to even think about the talent combined is bananas. Way too much for a team or two that live in one county.

A lot of the problem is so basic. Population. I noticed that Lewis has caught flack for their failure to make it to the semi's or state, but when you look at the numbers.....it does shade alittle light on it. Lewis County only has a population of 11,500 (2006 census) Blount had almost 120,000 (2006) That answers some of the issues. There are so many smaller counties like Lewis scattered around the west, especially the bottom half, and they are a closed zone school also, which isn't to knock any open zone......but it does contribute to some of the reasons of the drop off.

Interesting! Didn't know Lewis was that small. Went and looked up some of the numbers on the counties in Tennessee, surprise on quite a few. Some I ddin't realize had as many people as listed, and some a lot smaller than I imagined. Course don't know how many are closed or open, but the numbers were interesting still. The site had breakdown of people under 18, which really shows some interesting numbers.

Anyway......thanks stat.

there are 60 publics in shelby county and about 15 privates with football so thats 75 schools thats gotta keep the talent pool rather thinned out if shelby plus its not like basketball where the talent out west overwhelmingly better than the rest of the state i think talent wise its about even usually so that contributes greatly to it i believe and too coaching and funding i have been to games in knoxville and nashville and their were 6 or 7 coaches for those teams a lot of memphis schools are lucky to have 3

there are 60 publics in shelby county and about 15 privates with football so thats 75 schools thats gotta keep the talent pool rather thinned out if shelby plus its not like basketball where the talent out west overwhelmingly better than the rest of the state i think talent wise its about even usually so that contributes greatly to it i believe and too coaching and funding i have been to games in knoxville and nashville and their were 6 or 7 coaches for those teams a lot of memphis schools are lucky to have 3

Agree completely. One thing no one will mention is that a team from the west usually wins at least 1 of the 2 DII championships.

I will braek it down for you in ONE WORD why the East half of state dominates:

CCCCCCOOOOOOAAAAAAACCCCCCCHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THATS COACHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

true that but with out talent you have nothing to coach it takes both talent and coaching and work ethic goals and desire and the community with u this tpoic can be debated for ever and still no solution it has to be both and the reason the east leads is they have what it takes and the west will catch up prolly not in my life time but it will/