East 5 West 0

slimshady

It seems like every year, in the smaller classes especially, the top 2-3 teams in the state are facing off on one side of the bracket. Only to meet the 4th or 5th best team in the finals. Why can't the west be competitive?

Here's Slims UNOFFICIAL top 5 rankings for 2008, with West Teams in bold.

Class 1A

1. TC

2. SP

3. Oneida

4. JB

5. FCS

Class 2A

1. Alcoa

2. CAK

3. Marion

4. Boyd Buchanon

5. Milan

Class 3A

1. KC

2. Austin-East (pre-suspension)

3. White House

4. Anderson County

5. David Lipscum

Class 4A

1. Hillsboro

2. Maryville

3. Henry County

4. Melrose

5. Maplewood

Class 5A

1. Oakland

2. Franklin

3. Brentwood

4. Smyrna

5. Wilson Central

Can anybody dispute those rankings?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well every year I go to the championship games I am amazed at how much the middle and east tenn teams' administrations and fans care about football. There are some west tenn teams that do have very good support but I feel there are not that many. I am from Memphis and I was shocked when I saw two city school coaches there this weekend. They were there to probably see Mitchell but they were there. In Memphis administrations hire there friends who may not be the most qualified for the job and there for run programs into the ground. My best friend's cousin is McDaniel from Oakland he has gotten so much help from the admin, parents and fans. You don't see that here in West Tenn unless you are in the rural areas like Milan or Dyersburg. Rural areas it seems like are the only ones who care about football. Also what gets me is the arrogance of most coaches in the city of Memphis who think they no everything and are not willing to learn new things. Very rarely do you see them at clinics or camps. Now I am not saying ALL coaches in the city of Memphis are like that but it a stereotype that the rest of West Tenn and maybe the state has developed. I guess we can just keep using the excuse "at least we play the best basketball." Congratulations Mitchell and Milan for representing West Tenn!!!

Move Milan higher. CAK only plays hard against Alcoa and lost to Boyd so that brings them down. In 2A I would have

1. Alcoa

2. Milan

3. Marion

4. Boyd

5. CAK

Marion or CAK against Milan would be good but the more I think about what I saw the more I think Milans speed would win.

way to show ur class mc good luck to the tornadoes next yr not that they really need it hopefully we can meet again next yr and we willl remember to bring the offense too lol

It seems like every year, in the smaller classes especially, the top 2-3 teams in the state are facing off on one side of the bracket. Only to meet the 4th or 5th best team in the finals. Why can't the west be competitive?

Class 1A

1. TC

2. SP

3. Oneida

4. JB

5. FCS

Class 2A

1. Alcoa

2. CAK

3. Marion

4. Boyd Buchanon

5. Milan

Class 3A

1. KC

3. White House

4. Anderson County

5. David Lipscum

Class 4A

1. Hillsboro

2. Maryville

3. Henry County

4. Melrose

5. Maplewood

Class 5A

1. Oakland

2. Franklin

3. Brentwood

4. Smyrna

5. Wilson Central

i would but its not worth alot of time and effort to go over all of it little secret though henry county is west tn too

Well every year I go to the championship games I am amazed at how much the middle and east tenn teams' administrations and fans care about football. There are some west tenn teams that do have very good support but I feel there are not that many. I am from Memphis and I was shocked when I saw two city school coaches there this weekend. They were there to probably see Mitchell but they were there. In Memphis administrations hire there friends who may not be the most qualified for the job and there for run programs into the ground. My best friend's cousin is McDaniel from Oakland he has gotten so much help from the admin, parents and fans. You don't see that here in West Tenn unless you are in the rural areas like Milan or Dyersburg. Rural areas it seems like are the only ones who care about football. Also what gets me is the arrogance of most coaches in the city of Memphis who think they no everything and are not willing to learn new things. Very rarely do you see them at clinics or camps. Now I am not saying ALL coaches in the city of Memphis are like that but it a stereotype that the rest of West Tenn and maybe the state has developed. I guess we can just keep using the excuse "at least we play the best basketball." Congratulations Mitchell and Milan for representing West Tenn!!!

In my humble opinion, I think its safe to say that Memphis and rural West Tenn are two totally different animals and I don't think they should be classified together. Most people in rural West Tenn don't really claim Memphis as West Tenn - its just considered Memphis. Milan, Camden, Huntingdon, Martin Westview, etc. etc. always dominate in 2a whenever those teams meet Memphis teams in the playoffs. As far as West Tenn's failures in the championship games, that is hard to explain. I just think that the only places that take their high school football seriously and support it unconditionally are rural areas in West Tn.

Also, the rural areas in West TN have no major cities from which to draw athletes. What I mean by that is that these high school kids' parents have no reason, industry wise, to move to these communities - most just make do with kids from that area and whose parents were raised in that area. Of course there are exceptions to this rule in West Tn and I would imagine several Alcoa or Maryville players were raised in those communities over in the east. But, there are probably some players at those two schools whose parents moved to those communities for industry in Knoxville. And middle tn schools that are constantly successful are usually in good proximity to Nashville.

I certainly don't think this is the only reason, but I do firmly believe that population and industry do have alot to do with it.

In my humble opinion, I think its safe to say that Memphis and rural West Tenn are two totally different animals and I don't think they should be classified together. Most people in rural West Tenn don't really claim Memphis as West Tenn - its just considered Memphis. Milan, Camden, Huntingdon, Martin Westview, etc. etc. always dominate in 2a whenever those teams meet Memphis teams in the playoffs. As far as West Tenn's failures in the championship games, that is hard to explain. I just think that the only places that take their high school football seriously and support it unconditionally are rural areas in West Tn.

Also, the rural areas in West TN have no major cities from which to draw athletes. What I mean by that is that these high school kids' parents have no reason, industry wise, to move to these communities - most just make do with kids from that area and whose parents were raised in that area. Of course there are exceptions to this rule in West Tn and I would imagine several Alcoa or Maryville players were raised in those communities over in the east. But, there are probably some players at those two schools whose parents moved to those communities for industry in Knoxville. And middle tn schools that are constantly successful are usually in good proximity to Nashville.

I certainly don't think this is the only reason, but I do firmly believe that population and industry do have alot to do with it.

Great post... I agree

Move Milan higher. CAK only plays hard against Alcoa and lost to Boyd so that brings them down. In 2A I would have

1. Alcoa

2. Milan

3. Marion

4. Boyd

5. CAK

Marion or CAK against Milan would be good but the more I think about what I saw the more I think Milans speed would win.

mcwrestler CAK had 6 turnovers in that game. I believe at the end of the year CAK was one of the top 5 teams in the state. They were probably # 2 last year.

1.ALCOA

2.MILAN

3.MARION

4.CAK

5.BOYD

Class 1A

1. TC

2. SP

3. Oneida

4. JB

5. FCS

Class 2A

1. Alcoa

2. CAK

3. Marion

4. Boyd Buchanon

5. Milan

Class 3A

1. KC

3. White House

4. Anderson County

5. David Lipscum

Class 4A

1. Hillsboro

2. Maryville

3. Henry County

4. Melrose

5. Maplewood

Class 5A

1. Oakland

2. Franklin

3. Brentwood

4. Smyrna

5. Wilson Central

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but on this list (which I can't argue with due to not having seen them play except in highlights) wouldn't Hillsboro, Henry County, And Franklin be considered West? That is not really the point. Just getting some clarification.

This is what I have heard. Not saying this is right maybe someone can give some feedback. In the east, what some refer to as a "multiplier" is not in effect. For example... Look at Robertson County. There are 5 Highschools in the county. We are zoned by address, Therefore you go to a particular highschool according to your address because the multiplier is in effect. But if there were no multipler then any kid could could go to any highschool within the county. The result is The equivalent of Goodlettsville Dixie Youth Baseball /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Yeah if you've faced them then you are laughing too. No disrespect to Goodlettsville, they are not breaking any rules.

Now if this is the case, it would not affect someone like oh say Trousdale County because they are the only highschool in the county. (and they are just plain good) Now if that is the case and you add that to a more dense population due to industry in areas of the east then You have a probable answer. Right now it is still just a theory. Like I said earlier, The whole multiplier thing is something I was told and not something I know to be factual.

Yeah that is what I was getting at when I said except for West Tenn rural communities like Milan and Dyersburg. Sorry for the confusion. I agree Memphis and West Tenn are different but they usually don't represent this side of the state in the title game. I do not really know the reason the West Tenn teams dont do well but my post I guess was geared more to the reason why Memphis teams dont win. Melrose was a fixture up there for several years in the 90's but if you know anything about Memphis these kids go to whatever the school is the flavor of the month. Memphis might as well have open enrollment because of the amount of illegal transferring that goes on there so those Melrose teams had usually the best players in the city on them. I wish more Memphis teams would make it but it wont happen.

Yeah that is what I was getting at when I said except for West Tenn rural communities like Milan and Dyersburg. Sorry for the confusion. I agree Memphis and West Tenn are different but they usually don't represent this side of the state in the title game. I do not really know the reason the West Tenn teams dont do well but my post I guess was geared more to the reason why Memphis teams dont win. Melrose was a fixture up there for several years in the 90's but if you know anything about Memphis these kids go to whatever the school is the flavor of the month. Memphis might as well have open enrollment because of the amount of illegal transferring that goes on there so those Melrose teams had usually the best players in the city on them. I wish more Memphis teams would make it but it wont happen.

Is that what is meant by the mysterious "multiplier"?