Boys play first?

T2S2A

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on the administration at Richland in Giles County scheduling the boys games before the girls games this year because of discrimination? Most teams will be at a disadvantage going into Richland to play because it's opposite of what they are all used to.

What is the reason behind this? I have only heard bits and pieces of this story. Does anyone know the full story?

What is the reason behind this? I have only heard bits and pieces of this story. Does anyone know the full story?

From what I've heard, and it is just word of mouth... There are some title 9 happy parents of female athletes at Richland. Evidently last year they had to build a new sidewalk down to the softball field because the baseball field had a sidewalk leading out to it. Thus, came about the issue of the girls have always had to play the first game on Tuesday and Friday nights and that is discriminatory. The girls should have the opportunity to play the late game when all of the fans are able to be at the game (usually at the start of most girls games fans are slowly coming in and are all there by the start of the boys).

Again, this is just here-say and I cannot speak for those that are up-to-date on the situation. I'm not from there, nor do I have any kids that go to school there.

From what I've heard, and it is just word of mouth... There are some title 9 happy parents of female athletes at Richland. Evidently last year they had to build a new sidewalk down to the softball field because the baseball field had a sidewalk leading out to it. Thus, came about the issue of the girls have always had to play the first game on Tuesday and Friday nights and that is discriminatory. The girls should have the opportunity to play the late game when all of the fans are able to be at the game (usually at the start of most girls games fans are slowly coming in and are all there by the start of the boys).

Again, this is just here-say and I cannot speak for those that are up-to-date on the situation. I'm not from there, nor do I have any kids that go to school there.

I hate dump people like that. With a passion.

At 97 percent of schools, BOYS basketball is the money-making sport. Thats why it has always had the late, prime time game.

Now at some schools (And Richland could possibly fit into this catagory) Girls basketball programs are amazing, while the boys team couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. In that case, I can see putting the girls games last.

I hate dump people like that. With a passion.

At 97 percent of schools, BOYS basketball is the money-making sport. Thats why it has always had the late, prime time game.

Now at some schools (And Richland could possibly fit into this catagory) Girls basketball programs are amazing, while the boys team couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. In that case, I can see putting the girls games last.

Anybody got a score from last night? MC vs. Richland?

they needed a sidewalk to the softball field. ? It was dangerous trying to climb down the side of that big hill to get to the field. ? Their field is at a terrible location anyway. ? You park and hike a half mile to the field!

Thats the story I heard also. I also heard that title 9 wasnt making them do this it was the principal and board agreeing to do it. My question is if this was softball angry parents why in the world does this affect basketball? Plus I thought title 9 was about equal right like if one team gets new uni's the other team should have the right to new uni's etc. What does playing first have to do with equality? Thats stupid IMO.

Sounds like the inmates are running the asylum. At Shelbyville where the girls program is the money maker for that school, the ladies game still comes first.

Why not just move both games back? Start at 6:30 instead of 6:00? That's what some districts do.

Just another way for people to raise a stink about something that is really not a big deal. If they really wanted to get creative and give the girls an equal opportunity to draw a crowd, play the girls games on Mondays and Thursday, and play the boys on Tuesdays and Fridays. That's what Alabama does with their high school teams. Then you could have both teams playing at 7 in real prime time. Just wait, let the crazy folks in Richland get a hold of that idea and run with it.

Any thoughts on the administration at Richland in Giles County scheduling the boys games before the girls games this year because of discrimination? Most teams will be at a disadvantage going into Richland to play because it's opposite of what they are all used to.

At a disadvantage because of the game time? Give me a break - are the boys automatically at a disadvantage during a tournament where games take place during the day?

Let the girls play first - this is a non-issue.