What is up with Wilson County Schools?

Teddybear

Are we seriously having a discussion about why they are taking away the opportunity to have weight training and conditioning in school? what has our society come to we have these mega athletes who can barely read and write and we are complaining about this. And before anyone asks yes I am a coach and a teacher. how about have weight training before school starts. start practice right after school. I cant believe this is actually an issue

So ask mom and dad to bring the kid in at 5:30 am then and the kid gets 5 hours of sleep per night...yes, we are seriously having this discussion. If you are so naive as to think that this is not the only driving force that keeps kids coming to school to get that degree, then this discussion is not for you. How many days do you spend in the weight room a week and for how long? Are you willing to open the weight room at 5:30 every morning and deal with the irate parents that come along with that when there is a perfectly sane solution to the problem. Tel me the problem with this if they can get every core subject they need for graduation plus every elective. Have you looked at the core curriculum? Do you also know that the state is mandating another required physical education course? Make no mistake, I believe these programs will do what it takes to get it done, but it WILL be at the expense of the kids, to that end I have no doubt.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we seriously having a discussion about why they are taking away the opportunity to have weight training and conditioning in school? what has our society come to we have these mega athletes who can barely read and write and we are complaining about this. And before anyone asks yes I am a coach and a teacher. how about have weight training before school starts. start practice right after school. I cant believe this is actually an issue

If you are a teacher and coach, and this is such a waste of academic time, why are you posting on here during the school day?

No, problem not solved...First of all, block scheduling is 1 and 1/2 hour in length from bell to bell. So take away ten minutes on each end to dress and you are looking at an hour ten to run the program (which is about right on a four day schedule). A six or seven period day is not the answer. That gives you about 30 minutes of real workout time, which is ludicrous. If you believe that you can get a solid weight, agility, and conditioning program done in 30 minutes, you have a lot of research to do, and it won't be found on this site. Ask anyone from Sumner Couinty to attribute one common factor to why those teams are successful year in and out...they will tell you the same thing-4th BLOCK. It is easy to figure out how to work out the credits, I have seen the requirements, am not very smart, and it took me about five minutes. Also, we encourage these kids to play multiple sports, but cut down the time that they use to make that possible. There is no doubt that this is a fundamentally ludicrous decision, it is backwards in its logic, and will ultimately (as other posters have suggested) steer some quality coaches away from Wilson County. But, the most important aspect is the kids. There have already been some great posts on this thread, and my suggestion is to voice this beyond the thread and into the ears of the people that need to hear it. Stupidity is thinking that weight training is not important not only to athletics, but to lifetime wellness...it won't matter if they have the brain of a rocket scientist twenty years from now if they are so sick or morbidly obese that they cannot move out of their own shadow. I won't even touch the reason why, as I assume you are an Alcoa supporter, weights might not be as much of a necessity to you, as it would be to these programs (although in reality, it should be).

Brother if you think for ONE SECOND that you can build a program during even a one and one-half hour a day weight training session, (During class time) you are the one that is not informed.

At Alcoa, we knew where we were going to be at the end of the season because we won our championship in the SUMMER!

Voluntary workouts that had 100% participation...THAT'S how you win championships!

The weights and conditioning started again on Monday, TWO DAYS after winning the schools tenth championship.

(again, voluntary)

The same for Maryville, Smyrna, Knox Catholic and anybody else that has had any success...It is not the work you do to get by, it is that EXTRA work that pushes you over the top....JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

Sam Thompson, already an Alcoa legend, would stop in between classes to get reps in.

That id the kind of dedication that it takes to be a leader and get accepted into two Ivy League schools.

Maybe the building at Alcoa is just that much smaller than everybody elses though......

I hope you figure out the answer to your problems, seems like more classes would provide more opportunity and some class diversity for the non-athletic as well.

PS our 150lb Tailback (BCB Offensive MVP Jaron Toney) just maxed his squat at 555lbs.....He's a Junior.

So ask mom and dad to bring the kid in at 5:30 am then and the kid gets 5 hours of sleep per night...yes, we are seriously having this discussion. If you are so naive as to think that this is not the only driving force that keeps kids coming to school to get that degree, then this discussion is not for you. How many days do you spend in the weight room a week and for how long? Are you willing to open the weight room at 5:30 every morning and deal with the irate parents that come along with that when there is a perfectly sane solution to the problem. Tel me the problem with this if they can get every core subject they need for graduation plus every elective. Have you looked at the core curriculum? Do you also know that the state is mandating another required physical education course? Make no mistake, I believe these programs will do what it takes to get it done, but it WILL be at the expense of the kids, to that end I have no doubt.

since this is on the football board Im going to assume this is really football related. I didnt say anything about coming in at 530(what time does school start in Wilson County?) Come in at 615, 630 depending on what time school starts. Even if the kids were coming in at 530 and only getting 5 hours of sleep whose dumb fault is it that these kids are going to bed after midnight when they have to be somewhere at 530 in the morning? Not the coach. As far as dealing with irate parents. the 1st part of the solution is everybody is not getting a ride from a parent a lot of kids have cars in high school have the parents who are providing transportation set up some type of car pool system. Secondly one coach shouldnt be the only one opening the weight room every morning split it up among the coaches and have the weight training sessions by position (i.e. monday morning o and d lines come in training led by the o and d line coaches). I never said this wasnt a driving force to keep kids coming to school im not naive I know a lot of kids only come to school and pass only to stay eligible to play sports but i dont think we need to condone this way of thinking. If the state is requiring another physical education course then this shouldnt be an issue at all and the conversation is moot.

The point that im making is this I dont think there is neccessarily anything wrong with having a period where athletes(and other students get to workout). If a school has such a period then fine but it is not the end of the world if they dont. I can give you a list of schools that have weight training during the school day and they dont have a state championship trophy to show for it and I can also name some school that dont have weight training during the day and they do have state championship trophies

Does it takes fewer teachers to handle the student body on a four block day than it would for a 5 or 6 period day? Seems to me block might be a money issue.

Also, with new requirements for 28 credits to graduate, the block schedule allows for a possible 32-credits in 4 years. Couldn't some students earn their 28 by Christmas of their senior year and graduate early -- thus hurting the average daily attendance?

How is in-school lifting handled in Sumner and Rutherford counties?

Brother if you think for ONE SECOND that you can build a program during even a one and one-half hour a day weight training session, (During class time) you are the one that is not informed.

At Alcoa, we knew where we were going to be at the end of the season because we won our championship in the SUMMER!

Voluntary workouts that had 100% participation...THAT'S how you win championships!

The weights and conditioning started again on Monday, TWO DAYS after winning the schools tenth championship.

(again, voluntary)

The same for Maryville, Smyrna, Knox Catholic and anybody else that has had any success...It is not the work you do to get by, it is that EXTRA work that pushes you over the top....JUST LIKE REAL LIFE!

Sam Thompson, already an Alcoa legend, would stop in between classes to get reps in.

That id the kind of dedication that it takes to be a leader and get accepted into two Ivy League schools.

Maybe the building at Alcoa is just that much smaller than everybody elses though......

I hope you figure out the answer to your problems, seems like more classes would provide more opportunity and some class diversity for the non-athletic as well.

PS our 150lb Tailback (BCB Offensive MVP Jaron Toney) just maxed his squat at 555lbs.....He's a Junior.

I agree that the summer is a great time to build strength and it is a necessity. However, it cannot start in the summer, just as you stated at Alcoa (starting two days after). I know how to win state championships, and I agree with you, but what you have to understand is that we use this time and EXTRA to build core strength and agility. The building size is not an issue, that would be an excuse. Let me reiterate that the program I cheer for will continue to work regardless of what comes down the pipe. But, given the same situation, would you not try to fight for something that you already have in place that helps your student-athletes. The last statement about more classes is right on cue...you are correct in that statement. Impressive max on the squat...what does he power clean?

(again, voluntary)

If they were in the weightroom on Monday they were in violation and someone needs to look into that. 21-day DEAD PERIOD goes into effect when season ends. Is Alcoa not following the rules? If you are lifting till 6 or 7 then your doing too much. My opinion is that ALL schools need weight lifting periods during the school day for all athletes - both boy and girl. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

No...we are not following the rules, Our recruiting coordinator is a total failure as well.

None of our student-athletes passed any classes last spring but still played our full schedule and competed in the playoffs as well. Our tuition reimbursement program is going quite well though. (All players get full tuition given back if we win it all)

I hate that we have been on probation during our last five championships because we are so stupid.

/dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

How did I get so dumb from the time I woke up this morning until you showed up?