Whats Happened to Pickett Co?

7asuperfan

Look here 7a, I am from LA (like that has anything to do with it) and I am here to tell you that the JCH is not an official state tournament!! Also, TNT is not a state tournament either. They are "state invitationals". Teams don't have to earn a birth to play in them, just fill out an application, and pay your money and you're in. The only state tournaments are those sanctioned by the TM$$AA. The TMSSA is not an invitational, you have to play what we call districts, regionals, and sectionals to even get a chance to play in the State Tournament. The Champions of the TMSSAA State Tournament are recognized at Murfreesboro during the high school State Tournament. Sorry to burst your bubble. But don't get me wrong, it is nice to go to Murfreesboro and Springfield and win their tournaments and bring home that first place trophy. In 20 tries, Livingston girls have won the TNT 9 times..pretty impresssive!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look here 7a, I am from LA (like that has anything to do with it) and I am here to tell you that the JCH is not an official state tournament!! Also, TNT is not a state tournament either. They are "state invitationals". Teams don't have to earn a birth to play in them, just fill out an application, and pay your money and you're in. The only state tournaments are those sanctioned by the TM$$AA. The TMSSA is not an invitational, you have to play what we call districts, regionals, and sectionals to even get a chance to play in the State Tournament. The Champions of the TMSSAA State Tournament are recognized at Murfreesboro during the high school State Tournament. Sorry to burst your bubble. But don't get me wrong, it is nice to go to Murfreesboro and Springfield and win their tournaments and bring home that first place trophy. In 20 tries, Livingston girls have won the TNT 9 times..pretty impresssive!

well overton co. schools play in the same tournaments, and they call them state titles, listen I'm not arguing with ya. I know their is a middle school state tournaments.

Are we really talking about whether or not they are state tournaments??? They are as real as anyone around here plays in. There is a reason that no one in this area plays in the TMSAA and it is because they will not let you play anything but 7th and 8th graders on the team that plays. That is ridiculous and when they change the rules to make it best player plays then we will talk about it being the "real state tournament." Not only that, but there are also three TN state champions in the TMSAA and that is the East champion, west champion, and middle tn champion. I would almost guarantee that any state champion from the JCH State Invitational Tournament or the TNT can destroy almost all of the state champions from the TMSAA state tournaments. But anyways....the only reason there is not more people playing in the TMSAA state tournaments is because the teams are not as good, you cannot develop talent as well because they are not aloud to officially play until 7th and 8th grade, and let's just be honest that is pretty ridiculous!!

Are we really talking about whether or not they are state tournaments??? They are as real as anyone around here plays in. There is a reason that no one in this area plays in the TMSAA and it is because they will not let you play anything but 7th and 8th graders on the team that plays. That is ridiculous and when they change the rules to make it best player plays then we will talk about it being the "real state tournament." Not only that, but there are also three TN state champions in the TMSAA and that is the East champion, west champion, and middle tn champion. I would almost guarantee that any state champion from the JCH State Invitational Tournament or the TNT can destroy almost all of the state champions from the TMSAA state tournaments. But anyways....the only reason there is not more people playing in the TMSAA state tournaments is because the teams are not as good, you cannot develop talent as well because they are not aloud to officially play until 7th and 8th grade, and let's just be honest that is pretty ridiculous!!

agreed, I would like to know how many teams around here have actually played in the TMSAA state tournament. I know that the year we won the 2A TNT, Allons won the 1A and Livingston Middle School won the 3A one. I mean like Play 4 Fun said, the James C. Haile and TNT are as real as anyone in the upper cumberland is ever gonna play in.

Ok....I am going to calmly tell you to grow up big guy and stop criticizing people just because they have different opinions than yours. You have told both bobcat89 and myself that we don??™t know anything about Pickett County Basketball because we disagree with you??¦.that??™s childish! Second, flex was not a offensive set it was THE offensive set for half court. If we couldn??™t push the ball to run and gun then it was flex. There are so many different variations of flex that was all we needed. As far as you winning three ???junior high state championships?????¦.lol??¦.there is no such of a thing. The James C. Hail state tournament was by invitation only and was not a true state tournament. There are several junior high state tournaments all over the state so I wouldn??™t be telling people I won a junior high tournament unless you want people to think you are ignorant. I played basketball in Pickett County from third grade until I graduated and Steve Asberry never coached me??¦..that??™s all I??™m saying. I hope you are not trying to imply that Matt Walker should take over at the junior high level!

Ok.....I'm gonna calmly tell you that you know very little about PC basketball, because you didn't know that Steve Asberry ever coached jr. high boys and bobcat89 thought that Chip Buck was the head coach at some point then you all don't know much about it. You would have to be an idiot to argue with me about if Steve coached or not since I played for him. Or I guess I should say you know nothing of the history of PC basketball. I won't argue with you that flex was the only offensive set we needed in elementary school or in AAU, I totally agree that it was a good first have court set for us to learn, but at the Jr. high and high school level you need just a few more plays. You wanna say we never won three junior high state titles? Go look in the trophy case at the Jr. High. 2 James C. Haile titles and a TNT State Tournament title, 1 James C. Haile in 7th grade and the other two in 8th grade. I won't argue with you that there isn't more state championships than that, because I know there is. As far as the James C. Haile being invatation only, don't you think that means that we had to be good enough to get into that tournament? Listen, my jr. high classmates and I lost 3 games in the two years we played, and all three of those were in 7th grade, we didn't lose a game our 8th grade year. You must be from LA cause they are the only ones who would say that the James C. Haile isn't a true state tournament, listen they are all Invitational tournaments. Steve may have never been your coach, I'm not saying he had always coached Jr. High, because for a while he only coached the girls team, but from about the time that his oldest son Andy got to Jr. high he coached it. No, I'm definately not trying to imply that Matt Walker should take over jr high, Matt Walker shouldn't be allowed near a basketball court. But I have heard that Bibb would like to take over the jr high boys, but doesn't want to step on any toes, so he's gonna wait until Coach Parris is ready to step down. All I'm trying say is that the game has sort of passed Coach Parris by, and maybe it is time for the torch to be passed, at the jr. high level. I think Coach Parris is great for the elementary level.

Whatever! I am not going to play the name calling game that you seem to be so fond of. I never said chip buck was a head coach I stated that he was an assistant coach....bobcat89 did and they simply misspoke. I don't know where you got that I'm from livingston....I was born and raised in byrdstown and I played on the same team with the Asberry's, Tompkins, and Aaron and Steve never coached me at the junior high level. If he coached you thats great if you think that Steve is a good coach then I'm happy for you but you don't know what your talking about when it comes to quality coaches. The game has passed Coach Parris by? Your joking right? This just gives me more proof that you don't know what your talking about. As far as needing more plays at the junior high level....I disagree. I would rather have one offensive set that you can run many variations off of that my team knows really well than have a bunch of plays that my team can't run properly. If you believe that junior high teams need a bunch of different offensive plays then I can't find fault in that but I disagree with it. That doesn't mean i'm an idiot!

Just like someone else said on here the James C. Haile tournament was a state invitational tournament. There are like four or five across the state. There are teams that play in that tournament that are not good at all......they pay their money and they play its that simple. They did not go thru district, region, and state qualifers so it is not a true state tournament.

Coach Parris deserves some of the credit for all those teams, but not all of it. Coach Parris does a great job from the grades of about 3rd to 6th grade. Believe me, I know, I played for him. He is great at teaching kids the basics, such as defenses, full court presses, and other basics. Coach Parris doesn't really coach offenses. He does a great job of making the kids tough and getting them interested in basketball. He did a great job with taking us kids to all the AAU trips too. Where the difference is, is their isn't anyone at the jr. high level to teach offenses and take these kids skills to the next level. Steve Asberry did a great job of doing so for a long time. Thats where we are missing out now. Don't discredit what Charles Mitchell, Mike Buck, Eric Mitchell, Brent Smith, and Coach Bibb have done, they were and are all great coaches. I'd like to see any of us try and coach as well as they did. And do you even know anything about PC? Anyone from their would know its Mitchell with two L's. And Chip Buck has never been the Coach at PC, I'm guessing you mean Mike Buck. They were not just handed a team, they made it into what it was, their work hadn't been done what so ever.

I did mis-speak when I said Chip Buck. I meant Mike Buck. 7ASuperfan whats up with being a jerk. Just because I mis-speak and leave out a L in name you imply that I don't anything about PC basketball.....there is no reason to treat people like that. I think that James Parris is the backbone of the PC program. Thats my opinion.... deal with it!

What other school in the state has been to 20 plus district tournament championships and worst season was 17-17 and still was in the substate that year? None. So, Pickett is experiencing this year what most schools go through all the time, or are lucky to have one great season in 10...Pickett has had them EVERY year. This team is good enough that if they had played as well as they can, could have beaten Westmoreland, Monterey, and East Robertson and led Clarkrange last night a lot of the game. They didn't but should get better as the season goes along. I think Elder starting last night was smart and I wish Coach Bibb had stuck with him more. A lot of the time Ben Aaron is wide open and they refuse to give him the ball. They need to get over that and play team ball. Sells can hit the 3, he did all the time in junior high. Parris is back and the 8th grade team finished runner up in the Big South Fork Tournament and was ahead until just the last couple of minutes. Kyle Hughes will be a big plus for PC in 2 years. They are still tough at home.

Yeah I wish Bibb would kinda turn this team over to the sophomores and Juniors....Dowdy, Cummings, Elder and Aaron are gonna be the back bone of this team for the next two seasons. This season is basically a wash so lets get those guys some experience. As far as Sells, he is mostly a defensive player, he's not the same shooter he was in jr high. Bibb didn't even play Elder in the 4th quarter and I never understood that. When we got away from Dowdy and Elder last night is when we started slumping. Aaron is wide open a lot of the time, but his problem is that he's still young and hasn't learned to pull that trigger like he will eventually. As far as jr high team, Hughes will be good as like a junior, but thats four years away. He still needs to grow about 2 more inches to be dominant at the position he will be playing, but I do like his upside. My concern is that, will he have any help around him. I don't know what kinda players Peyton Garrett and Tanner Rich are gonna be, Its kinda hard to tell on all these guys because they are still only 7th graders. PC will continue to be good at home and bad on the road, like most young teams are.

agreed, I would like to know how many teams around here have actually played in the TMSAA state tournament. I know that the year we won the 2A TNT, Allons won the 1A and Livingston Middle School won the 3A one. I mean like Play 4 Fun said, the James C. Haile and TNT are as real as anyone in the upper cumberland is ever gonna play in.

These invitational tournaments are jokes. You fill out your application, send in your money, and you are in. Teams with losing records even get to play. I won James C. Haile one year and finished tied for second in the county, so that can't say much for it. They really are jokes.

Ok...agreeing that there are some terrible teams in the tournaments, but does that make the overall tournament bad. Here is a plan for you all that do not like these "state tournaments," get your team TMSAA legal (7th and 8th graders only) and see how terrible your talent becomes in 2-4 years due to the lack of playing time, and practice time for the younger kids. That would solve the problem, everyone would realize that most of the time the better teams are in these tournaments (not to say that all the teams are good but most of the good teams are in them), the better talent is from teams that play in these tournaments (i.e. not TMSAA sanctioned) and would change their minds about these not being real tournaments because lets be honest here, until the TMSAA changes some of their picky, crazy rules, this is the best option.

PC has fell off because these current players have had little to no playing experience before this year, I think we are all just gonna have to be patient. I think this is a major turning point in the season for PC. This team needs to start playing up to its potential, to start making plays instead expecting everyone to hand it to them because they were Pickett Co across their chest. The ways of the world are that life isn't fair and that only the strong survive. I say Bibb needs to stick with his starting five, cause they have earned the right to start. But I think where we need to start looking is not only to this year, but also to next year, and the year after. I think Joe Dowdy, Sam Cummings are gonna be solid for this year and next, Both have a chance to be thousand point guys. Jacob Brown plays scared, his defense is sub-par and when he isn't shooting or shooting well, he has no right to even be on the court. John Sells, he plays hard, tough on defense, and a guy you want to be on the court with ya, but his offense is non existent and he can't give them points in the paint that this team needs. Ben Aaron needs to take some pointers from his uncle Nathan and start learning how to be ready to catch and shoot, because teams are giving him that shot and he is passing on it 75% of the time. Heath Elder has the chance as a sophomore to be a really good center in this district for the next three years, he can score when they get him the ball, he's physical, tough as nails, and I don't understand why Bibb doesn't give him more mins. I know he's only a sophomore, but he is the only shot at a scoring threat in the paint other than Cummings and Dowdy slashing inside. Another thing that is wrong with this program is in the jr. high ranks. The coaching down there just isn't what it used to be, so players aren't getting as developed as they once where. Once players could come in as freshman and play major rolls. We've got to do something about our jr. high system.

I don't know, that's my two cents worth, I guess things aren't as bad as they seem and their is a sun over the horizon somewhere, and I'm just a frustrated bobcat fan.

Id sure hate to be this kids parents and reading this........this may have a ring of truth to it but calling him out like that good grief.....remember they are just kids