Private Schools

MVM

Many privates are right where they want to be in number of students. You can be a top-notch school and not be financially stable unless you link financial stability to being top notch. The money that Catholic schools spends on advertising would not pay your posting bill on Coach T. I am sure you have to pay extra or you should. Again you present yourself as an expert when it is obvious to many that you are not especially on this particular thread. Thank God privates will be here forever. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

I'm happy to hear from you that Catholic schools are alive and well, and not feeling the economic pinch that everyone else is feeling?? But private schools do advertise.....I have seen billboards in my part of the state. Whether the school is a Christian or a Catholic or a Secular private school its still a private school.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to hear from you that Catholic schools are alive and well, and not feeling the economic pinch that everyone else is feeling?? But private schools do advertise.....I have seen billboards in my part of the state. Whether the school is a Christian or a Catholic or a Secular private school its still a private school.

I didn't say they weren't feeling the pinch, but typically advertisment is one of the lowest priorities in Catholic schools. Other privates may place more of a priority on advertising. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Certainly, this thread has nothing to do with me personally but has to do with the subject and the economy. The article mentioned that in the past 10 years over 900 such schools had closed due to economic situations in the area they are in and students families not being able to meet the tuition of 13000-20000 dollers per student for elementary students. These are certainly not elite schools. It stated that the income in the areas usually was in the $15000 range which seemed not very accurate. The past 10 years the economy has not been exactly bad. The Public Schools are in a budget crunch also. Other threads on this forum expressed some concern with private funding with budget cuts possibly causing tuition going up in a Budget period. They mentioned possible student enrollment and donations possibly being down. While there was no reference as to which schools, you are not saying Catholic Schools are not still pursuing donors are you, or students? The advertising would not say that. If you look at the enrollment of schools just released in the past two months in Tennessee, it gave the student population of each. The article mentioned that most schools population needed to be in the 650-750 range to be successful. If that article was correct and many times not, is your statement still the same? Having some knowledge of private school funding, using student enrollment numbers is a common way of budgeting and building tuition and in bad ecomomic times, only in the past few years has advertising have to be used and that also is an operational budgeted cost. Certainly if schools have endowments they can dip in to, that is of great help. Do Catholic schools work with endowments? Most Privates might. And will a down economy affect aid to private students. Temporarily it seems it

might not but should be a concern to Schools no matter whether they be private or public and as you say more so with the non-elite than the elite if those are the terms to be used and might not.

So you might not get the wrong idea, private schools IMO do improve the academic stance of the education system and is of great value. They also provide spiritual growth to the age group they service. Just those two items without going any further, are valuable contributors to the economy. It provides a backbone for everything else. To go on record so others don't misunderstand, Private schools need donors and students as any other school system. Articles such as came out in the Tennessean might be misleading explaining the situation. it appears to me that growth in Private schools and student population is growing in every phase but possibly low income area schools. With privates seemingly pulling out of that area, somewhat, they are left to public schools along with the baggage they carry and substantiate posts which say Public education needs students with higher education and higher spiritual basis instead of just finding another private school to send them to. I am leaving athletics out of this.

I could safely state that there is not a Catholic elementary school in the United States whose tuition approaches 13,000. I am so tired of reading inaccurate statements on this thread. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I know that non-profits get a discount rate when advertising. I believe that private schools qualify. My non-profit pays around $250 per billboard in Chattanooga. I not sure what other media charges.

Buc55 ...I've seen the GPS and McCallie billboards, but not the Boyd B's. where do you have them up?

Came out of a Tennessean article and is not original. Same one saying that 900 schools had been closed in 10 years in the US> maybe they were talking about schools that were not Elementary????????????

The tuition in every Catholic elementary school in the Nashville area is less than 6,000 a year. That would probably be accurate for the entire state of Tennessee. A pretty far stretch from the number you mentioned. In the Northern states, tuition is even less. Yes inner city schools are struggling for many reasons which would take up too much space to go into. But we will survive. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I know I had a public education...but adding up the proposed cuts only come to 7 million. You might squeeze another 2 or 3 mill out of salary cuts, transportion, and health care insurance cut backs. Sooo that still leaves another 10 million to cut. Hmmmm

Makes me wonder how the small privates are doing?

County Schools May Close 5 Elementary Schools; Consolidate 7 Others

As Part Of $20 Million In Reductions In Creating "New School Model"

posted February 3, 2009

The Hamilton County Schools may close five elementary schools and consolidate seven others into three new schools as part of $20 million in needed budget reductions, Finance Director Tommy Kranz.

Mr. Kranz declined to name specific schools and said that scenario is "just one possibility."

He and Supt. Jim Scales said major steps need to be taken this year to create a "new school model" that will help eliminate annual painful budget reductions.

Dr. Scales said of the projected school closings, "This is going to get tough. It's very emotional when you close community schools."

He also said, "This will get political." He noted that several school board members are facing re-election and the entire county mayor and County Commission must run next year.

Mr. Kranz said the specific recommendations will be outlined Feb. 17 to members of the School Board and an advisory financial committee.

He told the finance committee and advisory panel on Tuesday night that out of 46 county elementary schools, 21 have fewer than 400 students. He said 18 of those have a negative growth rate for the past 12 years and eight have a negative growth rate for the past five years. He said 11 lost students over the past year.

Mr. Kranz said school closures are not going to bring major savings. He said closing five elementary schools would save $2.5 million.

He said plans are to cut $2 million from the central office, but he said efforts are being made not to have wholesale personnel cuts.

One possibility is not giving step pay increases - for a savings of $2.5 million. Another is to reduce salaries by five percent of employees at a certain pay level and above. But he said both actions would require approval of the Hamilton County Education Association.

Advisory members asked about the generous accrued leave policy, which Mr. Kranz said is "kind of unheard of."

Others questioned the fact that administrators make up a sizable percentage of HCEA. Board Chairman Kenny Smith said HCEA "is not a union. It's an association."

Of the accrued leave, that allows some administrators to leave the system with checks of as much as $100,000, Dr. Scales said, "It's what it is and we have to move on."

Mr. Kranz said it was difficult to get some concessions in accrued leave from HCEA last year.

Board member Rhonda Thurman said with administrators being a part of HCEA that items such as accrued leave "are not on the table, they are under the table."

Mr. Kranz said officials are scrambling to deal with spiraling health insurance costs. He said, "It is getting scary what the numbers are jumping up to."

He said the county schools are exploring joining with county government on a joint insurance approach or joining the state health plan.

The schools are also discussing a deal with Erlanger Medical Center in which there would be a discount on hospital visits.

One option is to require employees to pay a larger share. Mr. Kranz said employees currently have "a very rich" setup on insurance.

Dr. Scales said principals are examining any savings they can find in their schools, including possible program cuts.

He said there may be groupings of students from different grades together, such as first and second graders in the same class, to avert situations where the addition of a student causes the schools to have to hire another teacher.

Dr. Scales said the contract with the Durham firm for school transportation "does not cost more for magnets because there are no special routes, just pickup points. Most of our zoned schools have students taking advantage of the district's magnet program which provides choice."

He said there are 4,914 students attending magnet schools and 1,297 are transported on county school buses.

Mrs. Thurman said a closer look is needed at the cost of transporting magnet school students.

Yeah, let's cut the teacher's salaries even MORE! THAT will surely bring in the very top notch people into the educational positions that are vital to the success of schools!

For years, everyone has said, "teachers are the most underpaid people". Looks like that's about to get worse. And not just in public education, but private, as well.

I know that Knox County public schools are going to cut something like 70 teaching positions next year (please correct me if I read that wrong). That is a huge number of positions. I know that classrooms are already under staffed. What happens next year? Class periods of 60 students?

If the government lets the public schools go in the trash can, you can bet that you will actually see growth in the private sector. I think it is a true shame. I went to both public and private as I was growing up, and had great experiences in both. While I do teach and coach at a private school now, I think it is vital to the success of our country that we have a good product from our public schools.

There are plenty of other areas where government can cut costs outside of education. If they do butcher the educational institutes of this nation, they will go through the exact disease that the banking and loan industry went through this past year, where the sickness doesn't manifest until years later, when all of those children that got a sub par education, try to go to the work force, uneducated and not ready to lead our country to greatness.

I'll get down off my soap box now. Time to go play in the snow and cool off a bit!

Yeah, let's cut the teacher's salaries even MORE! THAT will surely bring in the very top notch people into the educational positions that are vital to the success of schools!

For years, everyone has said, "teachers are the most underpaid people". Looks like that's about to get worse. And not just in public education, but private, as well.

I know that Knox County public schools are going to cut something like 70 teaching positions next year (please correct me if I read that wrong). That is a huge number of positions. I know that classrooms are already under staffed. What happens next year? Class periods of 60 students?

If the government lets the public schools go in the trash can, you can bet that you will actually see growth in the private sector. I think it is a true shame. I went to both public and private as I was growing up, and had great experiences in both. While I do teach and coach at a private school now, I think it is vital to the success of our country that we have a good product from our public schools.

There are plenty of other areas where government can cut costs outside of education. If they do butcher the educational institutes of this nation, they will go through the exact disease that the banking and loan industry went through this past year, where the sickness doesn't manifest until years later, when all of those children that got a sub par education, try to go to the work force, uneducated and not ready to lead our country to greatness.

I'll get down off my soap box now. Time to go play in the snow and cool off a bit!

G...I would think that private school teachers are paying attention to the proposed public school cuts. If salaries go down in the public sector eventually private school salaries would follow.

In decent economic times I would agree that as the public school system goes down that private school enrollment would go up. However, My guess would be that most private school parents today, are not the extreme rich but are hard working folks and scrapping by just to try and give their child the best education they can. As prices rise and layoffs looming those parents may not have a choice but to enroll their child in public schools.

Whats bad are politicians are worried about leaving our children with a huge national debt....Whats even worse is they are going to leave them uneducated as well.

Whats bad are politicians are worried about leaving our children with a huge national debt....Whats even worse is they are going to leave them uneducated as well.

Yeah, let's leave them a huge pile of "manure" to clean up, and then not equip them with the tools to do so...

• 2 weeks later...

School Cuts Include Closing 21st Century Academy, Howard Middle School

Reductions Include 25 Assistant Principals, 105 Instructors, Budget Includes No Pay Increases

posted February 17, 2009

The Hamilton County School plan to reduce $20 million in expenses includes closing 21st Century Academy and Howard Middle School.

The plan to balance the budget that was presented to the County School Board and a finance task force also includes cutting 25 assistant principals and 105 instructional personnel.

The plan includes $2 million in cuts from the central office.

A number of facilities are to be closed, including the 40th Street office site (the old Lookout Junior High School).

Even with all the cuts, officials said they are still $678,580 short of balancing the budget.

Tommy Kranz, finance director, said the reductions "don't solve our problem. This is just a bandaid."

He said the schools need $20 million in maintenance, but that is not included.

There are also no dollars included for pay increases.

The plan includes taking $4.5 million from the fund balance.

There would be a delay in buying new science textbooks.

21st Century Academy is K-12. Supt. Jim Scales said the school has about 500 students with stagnant growth. He said it is an older building that needs maintenance. He said there are some capacity issues.

Current 21st Century students would attend either their respective zone or receive preference at Tyner Middle School and Tyner Academy.

The savings in closing 21st Century Academy would be $786,096.

Students from Howard Middle would be rezoned with East Lake Academy and Orchard Knob Middle School.

Several black members of the finance panel raised concerns about closing two inner-city schools.

Mr. Kranz said the second phase of school closings would involve seven schools that are not inner city.

Kenny Smith, board chairman, questioned whether there is time to close the two schools before the start of the next school year in August.

George Ricks, board member, indicated he might lead a protest of the Howard closure. He said, "I'm a good organizer, and I believe in swing, baby, swing."

Closing Howard Middle would save $327,790.

Dr. Scales said Howard Middle is in deplorable condition and is not adequate for middle school students.

Other facilities to be closed include Piney Woods, the Garber Elementary site and the Oakwood Child Care site. All three along with the offices from 40th Street would go to Howard Middle School space.

Before talking about the school closures, Mr. Kranz said, "Here comes the heartburn. Please don't shoot me."

Mr. Kranz said sales tax collections had been expected to rise $500,000, but he said the projected drop is $1,192,326 due to the bad economy.

Chairman Smith said, "We are going to look at every single one (schools for possible closures). We are not going to pick districts. That is why there may not be time to do it right."

He added, "It's got to be done, but it's got to be done right and not picking on any group."

Dr. Scales said steps may also be taken to start building the long-planned new elementary school in East Ridge. He said there still has not been a final decision on whether it will be for 600 students or large enough to handle both East Ridge Elementary and McBrien Elementary.

He said steps are also being taken toward building the planned Red Bank Middle School.

The budget includes squeezing $7,517,500 in savings from items that include the delay in buying textbooks, retiree medical benefits, instructional reserve, Signal Mountain School, East Hamilton School, utilities, special education contracts, transportation and insurance.

Jeff Olingy, finance panel member, said all schools need to be examined on the closure issue, and there must be a fair process applied equally to all. He said when that happens, there should be less of a public outcry about closures.

Mr. Kranz said the county schools may get some funds from the Stimulus Bill, but he said it will be restricted funds and not the budget solution for the schools.

/popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />