Private Schools

MVM

I was not sure where to post this topic....So I chose here.

With the Economy on the downside and upper middle class being deleted from companies pay roll, I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts how this would affect private school enrollment.

I would imagine that it will not affect the larger privates like McCallie, Baylor or Ensworth, or the well established Catholic schools. But for the smaller and newer Christian schools the down turn economy would be devastating.

Just curious and wanted some feedback......

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Economy on the downside and upper middle class being deleted from companies pay roll, I was wondering if anybody had any thoughts how this would affect private school enrollment.

I would imagine that it will not affect the larger privates like McCallie, Baylor or Ensworth, or the well established Catholic schools. But for the smaller and newer Christian schools the down turn economy would be devastating.

This is interesting because I heard Administrators and Teachers at a public school talking about this very thing yesterday.

The economy also effects the amount of funding that public schools get since it's based on sales tax revenue in many cases.

They were saying that they (publics) may be facing budget cuts, while at the same time getting more students in their system due to some leaving the privates and coming to the public system.

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Can't say for other schools, but we are taking a proactive approach to next years enrollment. We are anticipating a drop, and are budgeting accordingly. If the numbers end up better than we were foreseeing, then we can put the finances back into the areas where we have cut. If not, then we have some options in place.

This is interesting because I heard Administrators and Teachers at a public school talking about this very thing yesterday.

The economy also effects the amount of funding that public schools get since it's based on sales tax revenue in many cases.

They were saying that they (publics) may be facing budget cuts, while at the same time getting more students in their system due to some leaving the privates and coming to the public system.

/huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

I could see that being a major problem....Maybe it's time for a 4 day school week. I'm sure parents would hate it, but like anything else we would get use to it. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

From what I've been reading Hamilton Co. will be facing some significant cut backs (and looking at sports programs to possibly cut)... I'm sure the other major cities are in the same boat.

I was struggling to send my child to private school before the economy went bad.I still am struggling now. Not much has changed.Maybe they will go down on tuition. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I was struggling to send my child to private school before the economy went bad.I still am struggling now. Not much has changed.Maybe they will go down on tuition. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yeah...it will probably be tied to Obama's tax cuts. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Private school tuition will go down when my...

No, I won't go there. She may slap me.

Private school tuition will go down when my...

No, I won't go there. She may slap me.

/roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...

I will say one thing, privates are spending advertising dollars to try to boost up attendance. I wouild like to have just a fraction of the money spent on advertising to promote education in many of the public districts. You can tell the rush is on for students for next year as well as student retention. Thats the name of the game. Top notch schools do not have to worry about those things. Privates will be here forever.

Today's Tennessean article explained the closing of a School in Nashville and the problems private schools are having over the past 10 years and the reasons. However the reasons did indicate a reallocation of students to other areas which meant to me that Catholic schools may not be putting as much money in aid because thsoe schools in low income areas were having a large amount of aid given and the schools were having to close. These were mostly innercity schools. It just proves the point that at this time. businesses of every kind are having to pull in and tuitions will be one of the places along with services. In time, things will get straightened out..

The primary reason for this school to close was lack of students, not financial aid. The school was down to less than fifty students. Yes it takes money to run a school. It was a combination of several factors that caused its closing.

I will say one thing, privates are spending advertising dollars to try to boost up attendance. I wouild like to have just a fraction of the money spent on advertising to promote education in many of the public districts. You can tell the rush is on for students for next year as well as student retention. Thats the name of the game. Top notch schools do not have to worry about those things. Privates will be here forever.

Many privates are right where they want to be in number of students. You can be a top-notch school and not be financially stable unless you link financial stability to being top notch. The money that Catholic schools spends on advertising would not pay your posting bill on Coach T. I am sure you have to pay extra or you should. Again you present yourself as an expert when it is obvious to many that you are not especially on this particular thread. Thank God privates will be here forever. /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />