Private Schools

MVM

The tuition in every Catholic elementary school in the Nashville area is less than 6,000 a year. That would probably be accurate for the entire state of Tennessee. A pretty far stretch from the number you mentioned. In the Northern states, tuition is even less. Yes inner city schools are struggling for many reasons which would take up too much space to go into. But we will survive. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Do you have a child in a catholic school? Tuition is one thing but a school can nickel and dime you. I know catholic schools will and can cost 13000 dollars. How do you think they pay for teachers? Back in the day the priest and nuns taught so there was little salary overhead so, your statement that no catholic school would cost 13000 dollars is inaccurate. The goods ones do.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a child in a catholic school? Tuition is one thing but a school can nickel and dime you. I know catholic schools will and can cost 13000 dollars. How do you think they pay for teachers? Back in the day the priest and nuns taught so there was little salary overhead so, your statement that no catholic school would cost 13000 dollars is inaccurate. The goods ones do.

Respectfully, you don't know what you are talking about. I have several children in Catholic schools and it does not cost 13,000. Yes there are some fee's and other expenses, but 13,000 is a long way from approximately 6,000, and remember we were talking of middle and elementary schools. Of the three Catholic high schools in the Nashville area, only one is around the 13,000 mark, that would be St Cecilia, an all girls school. Father Ryan and JPII are around the ten thousand or less in tuition. I am speaking of the Catholic rate. All three schools have financial aid based on need. So it is certainly possible for an average family to send a child there with their financial aid programs. How do I know this. My family is barely lower middle class as far as income, but a first class family as to character and dignity. All of the Catholic schools in Nashville are good ones. so I beg to differ with you, your statement is almost totally inaccurate. Unless of course, you are saying that Father Ryan, JPII, are not good schools. There are several thousand people that would beg to differ with you. If you are speaking of Catholic schools out of Tennessee, some may be more expensive, but the Northern Catholic schools historically are less expensive than the southern Catholic schools due to the immense number of Catholics supporting the schools. We have less Catholics in the south, so expenses are more. The expense is absolutely worth every penny to my family.

PS I know several public school students parents and you know what, they say the same thing, they are constantly being asked to do fund raising, contribute to numerous things during the course of the school year.

• 2 weeks later...

Notre Dame in Chattanooga

http://www.myndhs.com/

COST INFORMATION for 2008-09

TUITION (including books and fees*):

$8,502 is the cost per Catholic student for families financially supporting a Catholic parish. A parish affiliation voucher, included in the enrollment packet, must be completed and returned for all Catholic students. There is a discount for each additional Catholic student per family.

$11,444 is the cost for non-Catholic students or Catholic students without parish affiliation.

The only fee exceptions are an $100 graduation fee for seniors, $30 ACT fee for juniors and the $175 fee for students participating in athletics.*Fees include an administrative fee of $25, instructional fee of $150, technology fee of $200, publication fee of $15, drug testing fee of $50, book rental of $350, testing fee of $50, retreat fee of $25 and Home and School dues of $30. Home and School dues are one per family.

I thought Private school parents were not wealthy and that most were at or below middle class. What person below middle class could afford to send one kid to any of these schools at those prices let alone 2 or more kids. 10-11k plus other fees ......I make a decent wage and there is no way I could afford to send my child to any of these schools.

This is just further proof to me that ATHLETES recieve special aide , especially some of them at the smaller levels. I would bet my house that some of these kids parents can't afford to send them to private school without some type of assistance .....and I'm sure ALL of them "qualify" for academic assitance.

I thought Private school parents were not wealthy and that most were at or below middle class. What person below middle class could afford to send one kid to any of these schools at those prices let alone 2 or more kids. 10-11k plus other fees ......I make a decent wage and there is no way I could afford to send my child to any of these schools.

This is just further proof to me that ATHLETES recieve special aide , especially some of them at the smaller levels. I would bet my house that some of these kids parents can't afford to send them to private school without some type of assistance .....and I'm sure ALL of them "qualify" for academic assitance.

You might need to start packing. If you will check closely enough, you will see there are parents that are driving cars that are 10 years old, don't go on vacations, and find other ways to save enough money to send their kids to these schools. Yes, there are others that are just wealthy enough to do it, but there are plenty others that make tremendous sacrifices in order to find the money.

You might need to start packing. If you will check closely enough, you will see there are parents that are driving cars that are 10 years old, don't go on vacations, and find other ways to save enough money to send their kids to these schools. Yes, there are others that are just wealthy enough to do it, but there are plenty others that make tremendous sacrifices in order to find the money.

I've heard that sacrifice crap before. I'm sure some people sacrifice a newer vehicle and vacations , and make it happen , but unless your knocking down more than 40k a year you still couldn't afford it.

I've heard that sacrifice crap before. I'm sure some people sacrifice a newer vehicle and vacations , and make it happen , but unless your knocking down more than 40k a year you still couldn't afford it.

It's only crap when you are not the one doing it. However, I do agree with you that it is tough on less than 40K a year.

I send my son to private school and I make a lot of sacrifices in order to do so. I sent my daughter to public school that I graduated from and could not believe the difference. My wife and I made a promise to each other that we would not allow another child to go to that school. It been very hard and we receive no aide even though my son is a good at sports. I know of several others at our school in the same boat. It can be done but it is not easy. It may evan take a grandparent helping or getting a second job.

I send my son to private school and I make a lot of sacrifices in order to do so. I sent my daughter to public school that I graduated from and could not believe the difference. My wife and I made a promise to each other that we would not allow another child to go to that school. It been very hard and we receive no aide even though my son is a good at sports. I know of several others at our school in the same boat. It can be done but it is not easy. It may evan take a grandparent helping or getting a second job.

Buc I believe that your story is more the rule than the exception. Most private school parents that I know (from my daughter playing club soccer) are middle class parents who are struggling to do their best to make sure their child gets the best education that they can afford. If my child was entering the middle school age I too would be sending my child to private school.

To be honest....Should and when the grand kids come along, as a grand parent I would help my kids send their kids to the best school we could afford.

Buc I believe that your story is more the rule than the exception. Most private school parents that I know (from my daughter playing club soccer) are middle class parents who are struggling to do their best to make sure their child gets the best education that they can afford. If my child was entering the middle school age I too would be sending my child to private school.

To be honest....Should and when the grand kids come along, as a grand parent I would help my kids sent their kids to the best school we could afford.

Agree 100%. Many, many parents make extreme sacrifices to send their children to private schools and would do it again if called for. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />