Private Schools

MVM

If they are in D2 then they can and do get financial aid. I also know plenty of parents who sacrifice cars, houses, vacations, etc to get their kids in a private school.

I thought Private school parents were not wealthy and that most were at or below middle class. What person below middle class could afford to send one kid to any of these schools at those prices let alone 2 or more kids. 10-11k plus other fees ......I make a decent wage and there is no way I could afford to send my child to any of these schools.

This is just further proof to me that ATHLETES recieve special aide , especially some of them at the smaller levels. I would bet my house that some of these kids parents can't afford to send them to private school without some type of assistance .....and I'm sure ALL of them "qualify" for academic assitance.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you know Coach, out teachers didn't get a raise either and our tuition was kept at a very low increase-lowest in many years.

Can't say for other schools, but we are taking a proactive approach to next years enrollment. We are anticipating a drop, and are budgeting accordingly. If the numbers end up better than we were foreseeing, then we can put the finances back into the areas where we have cut. If not, then we have some options in place.

• 4 weeks later...

I've sent all my children to private schools and I have a lot of them. We drove older than dirt cars, rarely vacationed, did without cable, etc. We did it because we're convinced that was what was best for our kids. I don't expect everyone to buy into the private school experience but don't appreciate ignorant comments from those who don't know what they're talking about and regularly prove it with asinine criticism born out of jealousy. Might be genes (my wife's not mine), might be the education and might be a combination of both but all received academic scholarships in addition to the Hopes at the next level.

There are middle schools in the "great" Williamson County school system that cannot afford to pay coaches due to cutbacks. So they use parents to coach.

This is "Daddy Ball" at the middle school level.

Haven't seen this yet in the private schools but if could be in their future also.

I've seen some middle school coaches.. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> ...Sometimes your better off with Daddy Ball.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Private school parents were not wealthy and that most were at or below middle class. What person below middle class could afford to send one kid to any of these schools at those prices let alone 2 or more kids. 10-11k plus other fees ......I make a decent wage and there is no way I could afford to send my child to any of these schools.

This is just further proof to me that ATHLETES recieve special aide , especially some of them at the smaller levels. I would bet my house that some of these kids parents can't afford to send them to private school without some type of assistance .....and I'm sure ALL of them "qualify" for academic assitance.

You would not have to bet anything. I could not send multiple children to Catholic schools without financial assistence, sports has nothing to do with it. And your statement about special aid is just plain wrong as far as Catholic schools in Tennessee are concerned, that does not happen. All students that qualify for financial aid receive it some more than others according to need. For Father Ryan, that is around 20-30 percent ball park figure. As to what you could afford, perhaps when you learn that sacrifices are not crap, you could afford to do more than you think. What you qualify as proof and you are sure of in your previous post is what most of us consider true crap. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

From JPII website for tuition costs for 09-10

Catholic- 9100

Non-Catholic- 10600

Annual Fee- 475.00

Bus Fee- 900.00

The 900 is if you ride one of JPII buses. No charge if you don't.

From JPII website for tuition costs for 09-10

Catholic- 9100

Non-Catholic- 10600

Annual Fee- 475.00

Bus Fee- 900.00

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Isn't that religous discrimination /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Isn't that religous discrimination /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

The logic is, if you're a member of one of the churches "linked" to the school, you're already paying part of the cost through that. Similar logic to out-of-district tuition in the public schools.

• 4 weeks later...

David Brainerd Christian School in Chattanooga has fallen victim to the economic times. They had scheduled 10 football games. Thoughts and prayers to the students, players, teachers, coaches as they move forward.

Thanks for bringing this up ....I posted the acticle from our online news source. And Ditto with the thoughts and prayers.

David Brainerd Christian School Closing Due To Financial Woes

posted June 9, 2009

David Brainerd Christian School in East Brainerd is closing due to financial difficulties, school officials said Tuesday.

The announcement was made in an email from Stephen Lepley, board chairman, and Headmaster Tom McCullough.

Officials said the school's enrollment suffered a sharp drop due to the country's economic woes as well as the opening of the new East Hamilton School nearby.

The school had considered a merger with one or more local private Christian schools, but officials said there was not time to work that out.

Dr. McCullough said last week that the school grew from 129 students to 222 in five years. However, only about 155 were projected to return for the upcoming school year.

The school was an outgrowth of a school at Brainerd Baptist Church. David Brainerd Christian School was formed in 2002 and Dr. McCullough, who was the longtime Hixson High School principal, became headmaster in 2004.

It occupied a 20-acre campus on Igou Gap Road.

The school had four graduating classes and participated in a number of sports.

There were 26 graduates at recent ceremonies.

Dr. McCullough said other private Christian schools in that area were also facing enrollment challenges due to some of the same causes - including Grace, Boyd Buchanan and Silverdale Baptist.

Silverdale officials said they lost about 11 students to East Hamilton, but it appears they will pick up enough new students to have a net gain.

Here is the letter announcing the closing:

June 9, 2009

Dear Parents and Friends,

It is with great regret that we must inform you that due to low enrollment, David Brainerd Christian School will not be able operate in 2009-2010. We appreciate the patience and commitment of our faculty, staff and those families that are enrolled at DBCS this upcoming year. This is not an easy decision to make. This impacts our faculty, staff, students and families. However, our school is funded primarily through tuition. We do not have a Church or large donor base to fund our operations. As a result, we have been unable to make up the lost revenue we will experience this year with lower enrollment.

We have been working diligently in a number of areas to keep the school operating this upcoming year. We cut faculty and staff. Remaining faculty agreed to reduced salaries. We contacted potential donors that could provide the level of funding that would be required for the upcoming year. We also made arrangements with our bank to modify our financing on the school property which will reduce debt payments. We followed up with any potential applicants to try and increase enrollment. And while all of these efforts bore some fruit, at the end of the day we are not where we need to be in order to operate the school for this year.

While DBCS has been experiencing significant growth over the past years, we were impacted by a number of factors that when combined in the same year, were too significant to overcome. First, we were hit hardest by the economy. With lost income for many of our families, the financial aid needs increased beyond what we can provide. This caused some families to choose a school with lower or no tuition. Second, some families chose to move to the new East Hamilton School. Third, as some families chose other options, remaining families became uneasy about the low enrollment and withdrew their contracts.

An email was distributed regarding a potential merger with another school. While strategically, this merger could benefit DBCS in the long-term, the process to evaluate the merger would take too long.

DBCS has been a special place for many families. We want to thank all of the parents who have devoted so much time to David Brainerd Christian School. We also want to thank the faculty and staff that have been such an important part of this school. We ask that you will keep our faculty and staff in your prayers. While this is a difficult time for parents and students, this is even more difficult for our faculty and staff. For many, this is their livelihood. They have been committed to this school and have been doing all they can to help try and keep the school open.

God has blessed DBCS over the years. And while we may not understand His plan in this situation, we know that He is in control of all things.

For families that need transcripts or other information for their children, please call the school with requests.

Sincerely,

Stephen Lepley,

Board Chairman

Tom McCullough, Ed.D Headmaster

No one likes to see a school closed for what ever reason. It's like a death and is a sign of the times. The story of faculty taking pay cuts is a story, for those who are in or have been associated with private schools. Hopefully other privates close by can take up the slack. The new public school close by certainly helped. After looking at the reclassification of schools especially in the DivIA and even seeing posts in the DivIIA especially with smaller attendance area, this might not be a good time. Seeing DivII in the Nashville area take the steps recently to redo it area of operation to trim down expenses and operating area is certainly a move by executives of the schools in the right direction. The major thought in the letter by Branard to me was the deep concern of the students being taken care of with their educational needs. Irregardless of one's thoughts concerning the public/private situation, it really means nothing in this case and situation. Students education will be more important.

David Brainerd Christian School in Chattanooga has fallen victim to the economic times. They had scheduled 10 football games. Thoughts and prayers to the students, players, teachers, coaches as they move forward.

Bluemom thought I would follow-up of the David Brainerd closing...

David Brainerd Athletes Must Apply For Hardships To Play

by special report to The Chattanoogan

posted June 10, 2009

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- Student-athletes who have been attending David Brainerd Christian School in Chattanooga will have to apply for a hardship to play varsity athletics at another school next season.

TSSAA Executive Director Bernard Childress told the Murfreesboro Daily Journal on Wednesday morning at the TSSAA Board of Control meeting that eligibility is not automatically granted for athletes from David Brainerd, who recently found out their school was closing. Childress said likely all would be granted.

"They still have to go through the process," Childress told the Murfreesboro paper. "You still have to look at each individual situation. All will probably meet the hardship requirements. It's not their fault the school closed.

"But they will still have to go the hardship route."