New Oak Ridge Head Football Coach

SPLITBACK

What do you all think about the article on www.oakridgesports.com? We could have had Rankin instead of Lussier and Gaddis instead of Stevens.

My thoughts... with Coach Rankin instead of Coach Lussier OR would have won many State Titles. Coach Gaddis would have won it all in 2005 and maybe in 2004. Of course, none of this matters because it never happened.

Please, please, please, go beg Coach Gaddis to come back. Plus, go meet with GQ and Rankin to see if they are interested. You cannot expect these three to apply. You have to go get these types of coaches. Just sitting back and waiting to see who applies is lazy. Look at all who apply but also seek out coaches who you know are winners.

Oh, my nephew told me last weekend there is a Facebook page where you can sign a petion to get Fulmer to come to OR. Supposively, Fulmer has said if enough people sign them he will coach OR. I did not ask my nephew if he really believed such nonsense because I was afraid he would say yes.

Also, I asked my other nephew who played at RMS this season if he thought Coach Guthier would be a good choice and he said he thought that would be a fine.

Happy New Years and God Bless President Elect Obama and America. Come home Coach Gaddis!

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, my nephew told me last weekend there is a Facebook page where you can sign a petion to get Fulmer to come to OR. Supposively, Fulmer has said if enough people sign them he will coach OR. I did not ask my nephew if he really believed such nonsense because I was afraid he would say yes.

Ahhhhh, the minds of youths.

I bet Phil is counting his parting gift Benjamins in one hand and Facebook petition signatures on another.

Wonder what the "magic number" is?

Ahhhhh, the minds of youths.

I bet Phil is counting his parting gift Benjamins in one hand and Facebook petition signatures on another.

Wonder what the "magic number" is?

I looked it up, said it was 1,000.

Heck, I'm thinking about joining. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

By the way, the group currently has 242 members. Only 758 more to go!!!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

That is good to hear about Gray. I have heard mixed reviews from former players and fans and like you said that is going to be with any coach. My concern is that there are negative views about him from Karns, Oak Ridge, and Bearden. Gray seems to have some fans, but I think Oak Ridge needs a non Oak Ridge guy to lead the program.

I don't think there would be any division in the town if a big name like Rankin was hired but there would be a lot of conflict with the fan base if Ron Gray was hired. However, I think winning will solve all of OR's problems. If the team is winning, everyone will be happy and there won't be conflict. Initially, yes there will be frustration and division but that all goes away when the team is winning. The only thing losing does is bring out the people that have drastic opinions (not saying that is anyone here) which frustrates everyone else.

I don't know what happened in Bearden, we've never talked about that. He should have never gone to Karns, and he'll tell you that. He didn't agree with how the program is being run and he parted ways after a year. Was it his fault? I don't know, but from what he's told me they did a lot of really stupid things. He should have come back down to Jefferson and laid low. He's worked out well at Catholic though, he worked well with Pemberton and his Oline did a very good job. He did fine at Oak Ridge until Lussier left. He and Bruce weren't close but there were no major conflicts.

Keith Guthrie could run the program and do a good job. He was a HS coach in Florida and I think was over at Farragut. Great guy and a very intelligent coach. I've asked him before if he would want to run the program though and he said he wouldn't want to do it. Maybe he's changed his mind though, that was close to 2 years ago. He'd be a great choice as offensive coordinator. He knows how to play to his players strengths.

I don't think there would be any division in the town if a big name like Rankin was hired but there would be a lot of conflict with the fan base if Ron Gray was hired. However, I think winning will solve all of OR's problems. If the team is winning, everyone will be happy and there won't be conflict. Initially, yes there will be frustration and division but that all goes away when the team is winning. The only thing losing does is bring out the people that have drastic opinions (not saying that is anyone here) which frustrates everyone else.

I don't know what happened in Bearden, we've never talked about that. He should have never gone to Karns, and he'll tell you that. He didn't agree with how the program is being run and he parted ways after a year. Was it his fault? I don't know, but from what he's told me they did a lot of really stupid things. He should have come back down to Jefferson and laid low. He's worked out well at Catholic though, he worked well with Pemberton and his Oline did a very good job. He did fine at Oak Ridge until Lussier left. He and Bruce weren't close but there were no major conflicts.

Keith Guthrie could run the program and do a good job. He was a HS coach in Florida and I think was over at Farragut. Great guy and a very intelligent coach. I've asked him before if he would want to run the program though and he said he wouldn't want to do it. Maybe he's changed his mind though, that was close to 2 years ago. He'd be a great choice as offensive coordinator. He knows how to play to his players strengths.

After reading your post I had to add some information, first of all, coaches are liked and disliked for many reasons by fans, parents, players and whoever else has the answers to how a football team should perform on Friday nights. I truly believe that most coaches have the interest of one group of people in their mines, and that is the players not parents, fans, other teams or who ever,. From what I know of Ron Gray he has had some great relationships with players and not so good relationships with some coaches, all coaches ESPICIALLY the ones that coach for their egos and not for the kids always have problems with coaches that put PLAYERS first, and from what I hear Ron Grey does just that puts the kids first. I am not aware of the Bearden situation but, I know for a fact that the Karns situation was one that Ron wish he never endeavored, it does not take someone very long watching the Beavers to see that program is not managed well at all, from talking with parents from HVA that transferred their kids from Karns they wanted Grey to get the HC job there badly, I'm not saying that a coach only has the players to be concerned with especially with a program like OR, he has to be able to get along with lots of different groups, but I think the most important group is the players, As many post have said WINNING takes care of allot of issues; question, does it?

I'm sure the decision for the prestige??™s OR HC job will go to whoever has won the most games, built the best teams, without ever thinking about some of the most important issue, like how long will this guy stay, how are his players outside of the FB field (because winning makes allot of issues transparent), I here Rankin ,Gaddis and a few other names-How long have they stayed at the programs they are at now, quick fix or build a program or excuse me REBUILD a tradition.

What do you all think about the article on www.oakridgesports.com? We could have had Rankin instead of Lussier and Gaddis instead of Stevens.

My thoughts... with Coach Rankin instead of Coach Lussier OR would have won many State Titles. Coach Gaddis would have won it all in 2005 and maybe in 2004. Of course, none of this matters because it never happened.

Please, please, please, go beg Coach Gaddis to come back. Plus, go meet with GQ and Rankin to see if they are interested. You cannot expect these three to apply. You have to go get these types of coaches. Just sitting back and waiting to see who applies is lazy. Look at all who apply but also seek out coaches who you know are winners.

Also, I asked my other nephew who played at RMS this season if he thought Coach Guthier would be a good choice and he said he thought that would be a fine.

Happy New Years and God Bless President Elect Obama and America. Come home Coach Gaddis!

Man i can tell you the answer from all three of those coaches. NO. If GQ would not leave Maryville for a job at UT then why would he come to the Atomic City.

After reading your post I had to add some information, first of all, coaches are liked and disliked for many reasons by fans, parents, players and whoever else has the answers to how a football team should perform on Friday nights. I truly believe that most coaches have the interest of one group of people in their mines, and that is the players not parents, fans, other teams or who ever,. From what I know of Ron Gray he has had some great relationships with players and not so good relationships with some coaches, all coaches ESPICIALLY the ones that coach for their egos and not for the kids always have problems with coaches that put PLAYERS first, and from what I hear Ron Grey does just that puts the kids first. I am not aware of the Bearden situation but, I know for a fact that the Karns situation was one that Ron wish he never endeavored, it does not take someone very long watching the Beavers to see that program is not managed well at all, from talking with parents from HVA that transferred their kids from Karns they wanted Grey to get the HC job there badly, I'm not saying that a coach only has the players to be concerned with especially with a program like OR, he has to be able to get along with lots of different groups, but I think the most important group is the players, As many post have said WINNING takes care of allot of issues; question, does it?

I'm sure the decision for the prestige??™s OR HC job will go to whoever has won the most games, built the best teams, without ever thinking about some of the most important issue, like how long will this guy stay, how are his players outside of the FB field (because winning makes allot of issues transparent), I here Rankin ,Gaddis and a few other names-How long have they stayed at the programs they are at now, quick fix or build a program or excuse me REBUILD a tradition.

You are absolutely right on with this post. He will put the players first and he'll take care of them. He'll be the first one to high five you when you've done good and he'll be the first one to kick you in the butt when you screw up. He takes an interest in what is going on with every player that he coaches, both academically and personally. If we needed to talk about something in our personal lives, he would help. If we needed help in school, he would help. He doesn't cater to any groups, he won't play the politics, he just coaches. I think that's what we respected most about him. He was there for football... he wasn't there just for the money or the notoriety or as a way to move up to a better job, he was there for the players.

If people are looking for a coach that will play the game and say all the right things and satisfy everyone, then Ron Gray isn't the guy they need. If they want a coach that will just coach and the players will follow, then Ron Gray is a good choice. He's not the only one, I'm sure there are lots of guys that are the same way, he's just the one I know the best.

The coach is a done deal. Not from OR. Ron had no chance.

Ole Dad

You are absolutely right on with this post. He will put the players first and he'll take care of them. He'll be the first one to high five you when you've done good and he'll be the first one to kick you in the butt when you screw up. He takes an interest in what is going on with every player that he coaches, both academically and personally. If we needed to talk about something in our personal lives, he would help. If we needed help in school, he would help. He doesn't cater to any groups, he won't play the politics, he just coaches. I think that's what we respected most about him. He was there for football... he wasn't there just for the money or the notoriety or as a way to move up to a better job, he was there for the players.

If people are looking for a coach that will play the game and say all the right things and satisfy everyone, then Ron Gray isn't the guy they need. If they want a coach that will just coach and the players will follow, then Ron Gray is a good choice. He's not the only one, I'm sure there are lots of guys that are the same way, he's just the one I know the best.

The coach is a done deal. Not from OR. Ron had no chance.

Ole Dad

guys like you like to act like you are in the know but, most times you don't have a clue,because if you knew you would post who it is so you could walk around for the 15 min. of fame you think you would have and bost about your uncanning knowledge of something that does not really matter in the grand scheme. OR will take longer than 2 weeks to make a desision, because the last hire was not even the one that the commity recommended. The done deal is people will continue to post about things they have no idea about hoping to get their 15 mins.