WRESTLERS TO MAKE 1ST TEAM ALL STATE-FOOTBALL

rocky11

Congradulations to the following wrestler's who made 1st Team All-State in Football per TSWA (Tennessee Sports Writers Association) If I left anyone off the list, please help by filling in their names.

1A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Jackie Miller-LB-Greenback

2A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

none that i noticed

3A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Daniel Hood-DL-Knoxville Catholic (I think)

4A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Caleb Leonard-OL-Halls

5A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Josh Patton-LB-Blackman

Derek Barrett-DL-Oakland

DIVISION II

Ryan Carrethers-DL-Brentwood Academy

Rigger - I missed seeing you at Catholic. I know your boys have graduated, but it still seems odd not seeing you around.

- Zach Flemming (5a) of DB (pretty sure he made all-state)

Others I know with wrestling ties:

- Tyler Eady (5a) Smyrna - Quit wrestling after 9th grade due to serious hand injury - traveled with Team Tennessee in middle school

- Barry Dabney - (DII) Brentwood Acd. - Not sure if he still wrestles, know he did in 9th and 10th grade

- Alex Bullard - (DII) Brentwood Acd. - Pretty sure he came to the Halls Inv. his Soph. year

I'm sure there is more.

Rigger - I missed seeing you at Catholic. I know your boys have graduated, but it still seems odd not seeing you around.

- Zach Flemming (5a) of DB (pretty sure he made all-state)

Others I know with wrestling ties:

- Tyler Eady (5a) Smyrna - Quit wrestling after 9th grade due to serious hand injury - traveled with Team Tennessee in middle school

- Barry Dabney - (DII) Brentwood Acd. - Not sure if he still wrestles, know he did in 9th and 10th grade

- Alex Bullard - (DII) Brentwood Acd. - Pretty sure he came to the Halls Inv. his Soph. year

I'm sure there is more.

Zach Fleming made the TACA (Tenn Athletic Coaches Association) All State Team. The Guys above made the "TSWA" OR from the Tenn Sports Writers Association, sort of like the "AP" All State Team.

I don't mean to be mean, but the guys who used to wrestle once upon a time, don't count for this years select group of young men.

Rocky -

-I have no idea who still wrestles vs. who quit. I made reference to Tyler Eady quitting because I talked to his dad. He would probably be the #1 ranked 285 lb. in state had he not been injured. He traveled in a competitive field (various states) until he was injured.

- I have no way of knowing if the two Brentwood players still wrestle (Dabney and Bullard). My guess is they may have quit, but I don't know. I used to see them at tournaments until last year. Brentwood no longer comes to our tourney, so I don't know.

- Last year Kevin Revis (4a) of Rhea County was at the TSSAA state tourney

- Last year Miguel Sanchez (4a) of Red Bank wrestled

Again, I have no idea how many of these guys don't do it this year. Many athletes that sign scholarships in one sport quit the others during their senior seasons. Regardless, congrats to all these young men who have found success on the football field and wrestlimg mat.

Rocky -

-I have no idea who still wrestles vs. who quit. I made reference to Tyler Eady quitting because I talked to his dad. He would probably be the #1 ranked 285 lb. in state had he not been injured. He traveled in a competitive field (various states) until he was injured.

- I have no way of knowing if the two Brentwood players still wrestle (Dabney and Bullard). My guess is they may have quit, but I don't know. I used to see them at tournaments until last year. Brentwood no longer comes to our tourney, so I don't know.

- Last year Kevin Revis (4a) of Rhea County was at the TSSAA state tourney

- Last year Miguel Sanchez (4a) of Red Bank wrestled

Again, I have no idea how many of these guys don't do it this year. Many athletes that sign scholarships in one sport quit the others during their senior seasons. Regardless, congrats to all these young men who have found success on the football field and wrestlimg mat.

All i was trying to avoid was others getting on here and saying " i wrestled my brother one time when i was 3" and they too are considered wrestlers." No harm No foul if the guys wrestled in the last year or two. And, i think it is a huge stretch to say that Eady, who was a middle school stud, would be probably the #1 guy in the state at heavy weight. It is really a slap in the face to those who are highly ranked. There is NO guarantee that if you win in middle school, you'll be a stud at the high school level. He and his are delusional if they believe that and you might have been pulled in to believe the hype. If he can play football, he could have wrestled. There are kids with no arms, no legs, blind and deaf who wrestle if they want to. Most of the time a football guy does not wrestle because it is very tough to do both at a high level and be good at both. That is why this list of all state football players who have done both for 4 years should be elevated over the guy who wrestled for a little while but then quit. And then there are the guys who a great at football and great at wrestling, not just who wrestled.

All i was trying to avoid was others getting on here and saying " i wrestled my brother one time when i was 3" and they too are considered wrestlers." No harm No foul if the guys wrestled in the last year or two. And, i think it is a huge stretch to say that Eady, who was a middle school stud, would be probably the #1 guy in the state at heavy weight. It is really a slap in the face to those who are highly ranked. There is NO guarantee that if you win in middle school, you'll be a stud at the high school level. He and his are delusional if they believe that and you might have been pulled in to believe the hype. If he can play football, he could have wrestled. There are kids with no arms, no legs, blind and deaf who wrestle if they want to. Most of the time a football guy does not wrestle because it is very tough to do both at a high level and be good at both. That is why this list of all state football players who have done both for 4 years should be elevated over the guy who wrestled for a little while but then quit. And then there are the guys who a great at football and great at wrestling, not just who wrestled.

Agree with most of what you've written. It is tough to do both sports at a high level. All wrestlers who played football, not just those making all region or all state, pay a price in their wrestling, especially at the begining of the season. Maryville's Landon Hall probably had it harder than anyone. His football team went to the finals game EVERY year he wrestled , meaning his wrestling season started 5 weeks later than everyone else's. Landon often started his season with the Bradley tournament in mid Dec after only a couple of practices. While he went on to have a very good wrestling career , there is no doubt in my mind at least 2 state wrestling titles were left on the gridiron.

Congradulations to the following wrestler's who made 1st Team All-State in Football per TSWA (Tennessee Sports Writers Association) If I left anyone off the list, please help by filling in their names.

1A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Jackie Miller-LB-Greenback

2A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

none that i noticed

3A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Daniel Hood-DL-Knoxville Catholic (I think)

4A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

DeVonte' Hawkins Austin East #42 MLB

Caleb Leonard-OL-Halls

5A ALL STATE FOOTBALL

Josh Patton-LB-Blackman

Derek Barrett-DL-Oakland

DIVISION II

Ryan Carrethers-DL-Brentwood Academy

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Hawkins is 3A Sorry