What is wrong with USJ?

utfan3

Hey westtnman

Did not mean to wake you up. All I am saying is heard that it's more than one time---- 3-4 the Glover "boy" has dunked or attempted. I guess your right regarding Haywood and some of the other AA schools. They are going to put the lights out on USJ. I will say that the Glover "boy" and Miller "boy" are good. they have a lot of growing up to do. I think they played off season AAU or Y ball and I do expect them to grow a lot in the off season by playing in AAU or Y ball. But it will be a shame to learn how to play real BB in AAU and have to come back and play half-court 70's USJ BB.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey westtnman

Did not mean to wake you up. All I am saying is heard that it's more than one time---- 3-4 the Glover "boy" has dunked or attempted. I guess your right regarding Haywood and some of the other AA schools. They are going to put the lights out on USJ.

As well they should with 3 times the enrollment. Hopefully next year will be better - There is a ton of talent returning.

Can't disagree with some of what you are saying.......going back to sleep now /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

USJ did a pretty good job on Carroll Academy's Deandre Larue. He only had 26 pts. However CA was 20-51 from the free throw line. USJ has as many as 4 players on Larue during the game. If CA could have made their free throws USJ might have been upset?

You are exactly right. That on top of missed layups in the first half, this could have gone either way. Sad.

[

Hush - USJ will be recruiting soon and all there prayers will be answered. LOL

Thought we HAD been recruiting all these years was the reason we were multiplied all the way to Memphis....

Love your intelligent response.

So that means you are not praying or playing - you figure it out and quit begging for help. Just buy some better players.

So that means you are not praying or playing - you figure it out and quit begging for help. Just buy some better players.

Yes, as a matter of fact I do pray. Where once have I begged for help on this or any other thread ?

Perfectly happy with the players we have now that were not "bought"

We are going Division II as you have desired. Just wonder when you will be happy?

Maybe if we just shut down the athletic department all together?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do pray. Where once have I begged for help on this or any other thread ?

Perfectly happy with the players we have now that were not "bought"

We are going Division II as you have desired. Just wonder when you will be happy?

Maybe if we just shut down the athletic department all together?

If USJ was "buying" players I would suspect that the delk twins, wayne chism, willie kemp, the sain brothers, the long brothers, or jarvis varnado or any other of the top players in west tn the past few years (you pick) would have attended USJ. But last I checked, USJ has struggled in their district the past few years, doesn't seem that USJ is "recruiting" or "buying" anybody. WTM, you're right, maybe all private schools should be banned from athletics. It's only the next logical step according to the publics.

BTW since this thread is about USJ basketball, I think there is much more to the puzzle as to why USJ doesn't compete well in basketball (other than so called lack of players or direction of the program/leadership of the program), some of which has been stated, a lot of which has not. Just my opinion.

Hey matt86

Would you mind expounding on the statement "some of which has been stated, a lot of which has not". I think you and I maybe thinking the some of the same things. I would really like to know what is going on with USJ Men's basketball for the last X years. I agree it goes deeper than talent.. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

I have watch them 3 or 4 times this year and they refuse or the coach refuses to play to their strength. Mix it up. quit doing the same thing over and over. Encourage the rest of the players to shoot the ball, drive to the basket, past the ball to the inside. Ball handling is a problem except for the miller and glover kids but they sometimes take desparate shots out of position etc etc. The wing player has got a good shot but he does not take it much. the Pierce kid pulls up but he's got a good shot form.

Hey matt86

Would you mind expounding on the statement "some of which has been stated, a lot of which has not". I think you and I maybe thinking the some of the same things. I would really like to know what is going on with USJ Men's basketball for the last X years. I agree it goes deeper than talent.. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

I have watch them 3 or 4 times this year and they refuse or the coach refuses to play to their strength. Mix it up. quit doing the same thing over and over. Encourage the rest of the players to shoot the ball, drive to the basket, past the ball to the inside. Ball handling is a problem except for the miller and glover kids but they sometimes take desparate shots out of position etc etc. The wing player has got a good shot but he does not take it much. the Pierce kid pulls up but he's got a good shot form.

I think that basketball at the school is the 4th wheel (behind baseball, football, and even soccer) - whether that's due to the program's leadership, the school leadership, I'm not sure. Also, I think that specialization in other sports has hurt basketball (kids would rather play other sports plain and simple - which is a another deeper issue - social, socioeconomic, etc)- combine that with losing (not many kids want to come out and get their brains beat in by Haywood, Fayette Ware, etc) and playing in a loaded district, and not wanting to play for the coach, and it's pretty obvious why kids don't want to come out. I think that basketball could succeed at the school - with the right leadership/coach (While I respect Tommy Russell tremendously, and think he's a great man, and fine basketball coach, I think it's time for new leadership for the program) and with the right leadership of the school - I'm not sure the people leading the school, in general, know what they're doing regarding athletics as a whole, not just basketball. There are athletic kids at the school (not necessary basketball players) that want to play, but don't - for some of the reasons stated above.

Elvis, I won't get into what they do on the floor and what happens on the floor. I'm not the coach, what they do is up to him, and I won't second guess him.

These are my opinions, many may disagree, that's what these boards are for.

I think that basketball at the school is the 4th wheel (behind baseball, football, and even soccer) - whether that's due to the program's leadership, the school leadership, I'm not sure. Also, I think that specialization in other sports has hurt basketball (kids would rather play other sports plain and simple - which is a another deeper issue - social, socioeconomic, etc)- combine that with losing (not many kids want to come out and get their brains beat in by Haywood, Fayette Ware, etc) and playing in a loaded district, and not wanting to play for the coach, and it's pretty obvious why kids don't want to come out. I think that basketball could succeed at the school - with the right leadership/coach (While I respect Tommy Russell tremendously, and think he's a great man, and fine basketball coach, I think it's time for new leadership for the program) and with the right leadership of the school - I'm not sure the people leading the school, in general, know what they're doing regarding athletics as a whole, not just basketball. There are athletic kids at the school (not necessary basketball players) that want to play, but don't - for some of the reasons stated above.

Elvis, I won't get into what they do on the floor and what happens on the floor. I'm not the coach, what they do is up to him, and I won't second guess him.

These are my opinions, many may disagree, that's what these boards are for.

Not only was your response very well worded but very accurate as well.

Coach Russell has always been the type that some people either think the world of or absolutely despise. There does not seem to be a middle ground. I personally think he teaches the kids a little more than just basketball. Look at atheletes in recent history that have recognized him as playing a big part in building not only their skills of the game, yet their character as well. Unfortunately...some kids of today do not accept that kind of tough love, therefore they do not like him and choose not to play.

As for the administration....your comments are dead on.

JMO

To previous posters -

I do not agree with your opinions about "beating their brains in" - not sure if you saw the Fayette Ware game last Friday or not. F-W was on the ropes - down by 10 in the early 4th qtr - USJ lost by 6 points -hardly a beating - I know they were glad to get out of Jackson. Haywood is playing well, but I think USJ will play with them too.

As far as the team thread- glad there is so much activty about a team that is at least a year away from being part of any conversation - BUT when they are - everyone will say it is becasue of D-II.

Private School haters will always be there and as you said before - it is your opinion.

To previous posters -

I do not agree with your opinions about "beating their brains in" - not sure if you saw the Fayette Ware game last Friday or not. F-W was on the ropes - down by 10 in the early 4th qtr - USJ lost by 6 points -hardly a beating - I know they were glad to get out of Jackson. Haywood is playing well, but I think USJ will play with them too.

As far as the team thread- glad there is so much activty about a team that is at least a year away from being part of any conversation - BUT when they are - everyone will say it is becasue of D-II.

Private School haters will always be there and as you said before - it is your opinion.

Mojo,

I'm sorry if my comments were misconstrued as me being a private school hater, I'm anything but. I haven't seen USJ play in person this year, I've only followed their scores and kept up with some of their players. I was speaking in general terms about the past few years regarding getting their "brains beat out", I know they haven't won a district game in more than two years. I agree with your assessment that they are a year away. I love Pierce's game and how he competes. If EJ could control himself and just worry about playing hard, he has all the talent in the world, I like the glover kid and they have some good players to fill in other spots - IF THEY WILL WORK HARD AND GET TOUGHER - they have a nice team to compete in the DII small class - who cares what people say about DII, they'll never be satisfied as someone said earlier.

Murph you're exactly right about Tommy Russell - I'm in the first group.