Tri-County Seven

krichunaka

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No team has really stepped up to claim the top spot as we close out 2008, so, in the

Holiday spirit:

1) Cloudland

1) Elizabethton

1) Unicoi County

4) Hampton

5) Happy Valley

6) Johnson County

7) Unaka

It's been made abundantly clear that the Lady Cyclones haven't lost to any of the

other Seven teams. And they might not lose in Seven play this season. So far they've

beaten Hampton, Johnson County and Cloudland, and a week from Tuesday, they get to

host Unicoi County before playing at South Greene three nights later.

Cloudland gave the Lady Blue Devils their first local loss of the season, four nights after

Unicoi County's unbeaten run ended in Florida. Much credit is due to Unicoi County for

the gallant second half effort, but after the loss in Roan Mountain, bouncing back at

Elizabethton is a very tall order.

The Lady Bulldogs won their first home game of the season convincingly over Happy

Valley, then followed that up with a first-round win in Cherryville, North Carolina. Stay

tuned for the rest of that one. Hampton gets to host Unicoi County this Friday.

Happy Valley can recover from the loss in Hampton, at Daniel Boone this Friday, and

then look forward to hosting Johnson County and Unaka next week.

The Lady Longhorns have played some very good, and kinda bad basketball. Could they

be the Watauga Conference spoilers this season?

Unaka gets three games in Harriman to close out 2008. Two-and-one would surely be

satisfactory, and all games appear winnable. Playing the host school today will be a

challenge, but for now, beating anybody would be cause for celebration.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heading in to 2009, here is how I rank them:

1. Elizabethton- (11-3, no losses in the seven, big win over Cloudland, Unicoi Co. on January 6th is huge)

2. Cloudland- (Starting to come around, big win over Unicoi Co.)

3. Unicoi Co.- (Have lost twice after great start, will be in the mix all season for the #1 spot)

4. Hampton- (Up and down, lots of upside and should give Cloudland some great games)

5. Happy Valley- (No quality wins against any team above them)

6. Unaka- (Not great so far, but still may be heard from)

7. Johnson Co.- (Are more competitive, but I do not see them moving above the #6 spot all season)

It will be interesting to see how the 17 day layoff impacts the Lady Cyclones. I know they needed some rest and healing time, but I hope they are not rusty on January 6th. 2009 should be fun and I still think as many as six of these teams can advance to at least the region tournaments.

Lady Dogs beat Avery Co. 61-49 last night and will play the defending champ in South Point, which is from Belmont, N.C. Lady Dogs suffered a blow late in the third period when Weddle went down with an injury and did not return. Don't look for her to play tonight. A shame because the Lady Dogs were looking the best they have all season and getting healthy.

1. Elizabethton

2. Cloudland

3. Unicoi

4. Hampton

5. Happy Valley

6. Johnson County

7. Unaka

Many changes in this weeks rankings. Elizabethton moves into the number one spot. Sometimes being idle is a good thing (I"m sure Coach Dugger planned this break in their schedule, knowing Cloudland and Unicoi and Hampton and Happy Valley had big games, just so he could move up in the Tri-County rankings by not playing). Cloudland takes a major jump up with the win and Unicoi takes a plunge with the loss. The Lady Bulldogs are playing very well at this point (what a turn around from two weeks ago) but if the injury bug continues to plauge Weddle it will be hard for them to find consistant play. Happy Valley made a turn in the wrong direction with their play at Hampton. They have a week to get things going but do have a good game to get that started with by playing Boone on Friday. Johnson County continues to play teams tough and Unaka might be playing as well as they can.

Elizabethton is very fortunate that they got this 17 day break from game play. They have been nursing some injuries and a couple sicknesses. Anderson and Jefferson are well on their way back to full health and Pietrowski is getting over being under the weather in time to knock the rust off.

I know the layoff could also hurt Etown but I know how hard Dugger practices the girls. They'll be ready. And I would be shocked if they came out rusty against UC. I cant wait!

GO CYCLONES!!

I heard Weddle rolled her ankle yesterday in the win against Avery Co. Does anyone know how bad the injury was?

It's not looking too good Vader. She could be out for the season. Truly a shame the way they played over in Cherryville, maybe with McQueen coming back in the near future will help some but Weddle surely cannot be replaced. Looks like North Greene is the only one left standing in Cloudland's way

Don't think that anyone knows for sure right now. Hasn't gotten any better, even with treatment so there has to be a problem. Think that they were going for xrays or something today and will know more later. Not a good situation but if she can come back later on they could be better because of the time the sophomores are getting. The 5'10 sophomore looked very good against Avery Co. the other night, just have to remember that she is a work in progress and accent the positives.

It's not looking too good Vader. She could be out for the season. Truly a shame the way they played over in Cherryville, maybe with McQueen coming back in the near future will help some but Weddle surely cannot be replaced. Looks like North Greene is the only one left standing in Cloudland's way

I am hearing that the injury is not THAT bad. Nothing to keep her out for the season anyways. She still might miss a couple of games. I hope this is true...