blitzing through South Greene. Two wins this week, and they're on their

way. Elizabethton has been solid, consistent througout the season, except

for the loss to Morristown East in Church Hill (The Lady Hurricanes lost to

three-and-eleven West Greene). Normally, one-and-one would be okay,

but for the early, conference loss at Chuckey Doak. At any rate, we'll learn

a lot this week.

Cloudland played well in Harriman. Three-and-none, on consecutive days is

a tough order, and the Lady Highlanders won them all rather handily. Hosting

University School this Tuesday shouldn't be a great challenge, but this Friday's

game in Baileyton might be one for the ages.

Unicoi County looked about as bad as a ten-and-one team could, in the second

quarter at Cloudland. The Lady Blue Devils played well enough in the fourth

quarter to play with the best-in-area. It will take a much more consistent effort

in Elizabethton this Tuesday night, and Friday's game in Mountain City could be

a shocker.

After winning the Cherryville, North Carolina championship earlier in the week, the

Lady Bulldogs lost a tough one at home to the Lady Blue Devils, Friday, just one day

before defeating Claiborne County at home. It's probably not a good time to mention

"payback," but the loss in Mountain City had to hurt.

Happy Valley has been very good, then not so good. The loss at Hampton wasn't all

that shocking, but we expected it to be more competitive. The Lady Warriors have as

much talent and depth as any of the Seven. Playing Johnson County the day after the

Lady Longhorns play in Hampton should help.

Johnson County has two tough road games on consecutive nights. Hampton should be

very fired up for tonight's game, then it's back to Carter County, Tuesday night to play

Happy Valley. The game with the Lady Warriors counts the most, but to bring anything

but the best effort in Hampton might be embarrassing.

After losing their first two games in Harriman, the Lady Rangers defeated Rockwood on

New Year's Eve. They can start to salvage their season this Tuesday at Happy Valley

before playing at Cloudland seven nights later.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree Krich very acceptable picks.. And yes deffinitely what a way for Elizabethton to start off the 09 season against Erwin and a very tough South Greene ball club who took a very tough Wilson Central girls team down to the wire falling short by two.

I am curious about tomorrow nights game between Johnson County @ Hampton. Even without Weddle Hampton seems to be playing great basketball and Johnson County is the type of team that will play hard and put out an effort to compete with whomever their opponent is.

Unaka Will be tested next week when they go up to Roan Mountain to face the Lady Landers but if the Lady Rangers dont play no better than they have it could be a tough ride back home from Roan Mountain..

But all in all we will get to see a very good two weeks of basketball. Good luck to all 7 of these girls teams through out the remainder of the season. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I will stay the same as last week, but things may really shake up after this week's schedule:

1. Elizabethton- (Huge games against Unicoi Co. and South Greene this week)

2. Cloudland- (Humming along nicely)

3. Unicoi Co.- (can put Elizabethton in a deep district hole with a road win on Tuesday)

4. Hampton- (up...down...up...down....up, I believe they will be steady from here on out)

5. Happy Valley- (show me!)

6. Unaka- (Brutal schedule this week may not be what the doctor ordered)

7. Johnson County- (The quest for respect continues!)

I will stay the same as last week, but things may really shake up after this week's schedule:

1. Elizabethton- (Huge games against Unicoi Co. and South Greene this week)

2. Cloudland- (Humming along nicely)

3. Unicoi Co.- (can put Elizabethton in a deep district hole with a road win on Tuesday)

4. Hampton- (up...down...up...down....up, I believe they will be steady from here on out)

5. Happy Valley- (show me!)

6. Unaka- (Brutal schedule this week may not be what the doctor ordered)

7. Johnson County- (The quest for respect continues!)

Pretty much agree with you coach. Elizabethton can set the tone for the conference schedule this week. THe reason that Hampton has been up and down has been injuries as they haven't been healthy really since the Hall of Champion games and still are not but are playing very well as of late even with two key players still out. Believe that you will see teams begin to play with a different level of intensity since conference play has started and it has added importance, especially home conference games, which are almost a must.

As noted on last week's thread, ELizabethton won by six over Unicoi County - 63-57.

Mariah Pietrowski was on her game early, but had two fouls at the half. She managed

to finish the game with foul fouls, and hit a key basket and a couple key free-throws in

the final minute.

Elizabethton got the lead, and as noted, appeared to be headed for an easy win, only

to have the Lady Blue Devils fight back to pull within six at half-time.

Kristen Powell had several very nice drives, assists, and steals. And again, we (reluctantly)

agree with 17, that she was probably the key to victory for Elizabethton.

Kamra Fritz is already known as a very good long-range shooter. Against Erwin, she hit an

early three, then demonstrated her savvy mid-range game by driving to the free-throw line

where she nailed a very nice pull-up jumper. Would have liked to have seen her on the court

a little more.

And in fairness to Unicoi County, Ali Gardner was in foul trouble the entire game, and fouled out

at around the five-minute mark of the fourth quarter. Ivory Shelton also finished the game with

four fouls. Incidentally, Shelton has improved with leaps and bounds since early-season. She's

a very promising post player.

Krich,

I apologize for fouling up the continuity of our threads by posting my Unicoi Co./Elizabethton summary on last week's thread. I was not paying attention to the dates and the old thread was higher on the board. It was a good game and closer than I expected. Unicoi Co. played very well and really made Elizabethton pay when the Cyclones went zone and when Mariah had to sit with foul trouble. I still think Elizabethton is better offensively when at full strength, but the Lady Cyclones are not a shut down defensive team. The late season game at Unicoi Co. could be a classic. The Cyclones face another huge test Friday at South Greene. I hope Mariah can stay out of foul trouble, but to date she has been in foul trouble in every big game this season. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

Krich,

I apologize for fouling up the continuity of our threads by posting my Unicoi Co./Elizabethton summary on last week's thread. I was not paying attention to the dates and the old thread was higher on the board. It was a good game and closer than I expected. Unicoi Co. played very well and really made Elizabethton pay when the Cyclones went zone and when Mariah had to sit with foul trouble. I still think Elizabethton is better offensively when at full strength, but the Lady Cyclones are not a shut down defensive team. The late season game at Unicoi Co. could be a classic. The Cyclones face another huge test Friday at South Greene. I hope Mariah can stay out of foul trouble, but to date she has been in foul trouble in every big game this season. Go Cyclones!!!!!!

Actually, I'm the most guilty! I posted yesterday before leaving for the game in

Elizabethton. A little unfinished business with the Hampton - Johnson County

game.

In fact, I'll respond to the McQueen-Weddle question here, for, as you put it,

continuity: Both are upbeat, very optimistic about playing "pretty soon." Chelsey

says there's concern about possible hyper-extension in her ankle area. All this is

way out of my league, but that phrase, more than anything else, suggest a lot of

down time. Hopefully, she'll heal soon. If she's healthy, Hampton is a threat to win

Region One-A. With McQueen and Weddly healthy, along with the aforementioned

emergence of Dugger, suddenly Hampton becomes the biggest team in District

One-A. Scary.

And, you've hit on something that could literally determine whether Elizabethton

plays in Murfreesboro, or fights to prevent semi-final elimination in Region Tournament

play. With Mariah on the court, the Lady Cyclones are a temendous inside-out threat.

With McQueen and Weddly healthy, along with the aforementioned

emergence of Dugger, suddenly Hampton becomes the biggest team in District

One-A. Scary.

The three of them are: Weddle(5'8), McQueen(5'9), and Dugger(5'10). Hardly a monster lineup but for Hampton it is a drastic change from the 5'6 post players. I know that Unaka has 2 players taller than this and NG has big players as well. Just hope I get to see all three on the court at the same time.

Dog,

You're right about Unaka. Lowe and Winters are close to 5'11"-6'. After those

two there's a considerable drop-off; though the Lady Rangers have 5'8" Tayler Nidiffer,

a great leaper, and Kayla Wilson, a stout five-nine.

North Greene plays six-ft. McKinsey sparingly. Dakota White is 5'10-5'11". Samantha

Weems is around 5'8" And, Shyler Miller and Mariah Britton aren't over five-seven.

The Lady Bulldogs, with Weddle, McQueen, and the gigantic, five-nine Mikki Oliver, play

awfully big. I like your idea of the three of them on the court together. With those four,

plus Josie or Sarah, they have a lot of size, skill, and experience.

Final Score

Happy Valley-52

Unaka-48

Looks like the Lady Rangers gave HV a heckuva game on their home court... To me, thats enough to justify them the #6 spot above Mountain City, no questions asked. Expecially considering how the the Lady Longhorns got manhandled in that same gym just the other night...

I've never really been one for moral victories, but this was definantly one for Unaka. Keep playing hard girls.