memorial park,a season on the brink

Knight

Today was the best day at the courts in a very long time. Was it because we played 4 on 4 all day, no. Actually we only had 5 players and played 36. But 3 of the other 4 players are no less than legends with the fourth being a young superstar. There was no arguing, cussing, or fighting just basketball. Evan Lawson, Jonah Keltner,Travis Mckissack

and Jon Lavett. Evan drove and made some awesome shots, Jonah hit the jumpers and used the old arm grab to get rebounds and Lavett used his speed, jumping ability, and quickness to dominate the older guys. But the real story was 36yr old swingman Travis Mckissack. Travis has returned from an injury that ended his season last year. Many of the top doctors at Vanderbilt said Trav would never walk without a limp again must less play ball. But despite all odds Travis began his 24th memorial park season today. He still has the bank shot and running hook and showed he still had game.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knight forgot to mention the domination yesterday by Buster. Buster returned to the park with little fanfare, amidst the unexpected return of Travis "The Legend" to the park for his 24th season. Buster started slowly but showed a renewed determination by quickly winning the final 3 games of the day. Buster seems to have refound the competitive fire which used to burn inside him. He worked hard on the boards, sometimes fighting off two and three fouls to power the ball into the hoop. At one point he even outhustled eveyone to the ball prompting his brother to say and I quote, "I've never seen him hustle that way even in a game." Despite two blocks by Evan and Jonah(which some called the best blocks of the day); despite spectacular play by Lavett(who seemed almost unstoppable at times); despite the successful return of Travis, showing he still has the love of the game; Buster still shined, at times looking like a man among boys, bringing the Memorial Park Times to name Buster MVP of yesterday's games.

The latest news from this morning's AP is around the speculation of whether or not Buster will join the basketball coaching staff at LCMS. A local basketball fan and avid supporter of the game reported that the booster club is putting together a lucrative package to persuade Buster to put his talents to work on the sidelines. The current coaching staff is in the process of trying to restore the Raiders program to championship level. Buster's addition to the staff would certainly generate as much excitement among players and fans as has Steve Spurrier's addition to the Washington Redskins. The prospect of Buster's return to the bench has already led to an increase in the number of season tickets being sold. The phones in the ticket office have been ringing non-stop since this story was released. Many longtime fans will recall how Buster led the Raiders to the State Championship during the 93-94 season. Buster is still holds many LCMS records including being the only player to score both 1000 points and run 1000 laps in his two year career with the Raiders. Stay tuned for further developments.

As speculation over Keltner accepting the coaching job grows his longtime coach and friend Howie Spears has called a press conference for 12:10pm to announce his once all-star players decision. "The conference will ne held via coacht". A source close to Keltner had this to say, "Keltner is honored to be considered for the position at LCMS".

uh oh the courts r startin bak up.....lol. that means that the one and only big game might have to make an appearance. (who would like to add that he was a part of a very good jr high team who finished 2nd in the state) but ne ways ill try to make it up there sometime c u guys up there.

As speculation continues to grow over whether Buster will join the staff at LCMS, talks will continue through this week. Buster is scheduled to meet with the Athletic Administration and Prominent Basketball Boosters to see if an agreement can be reached. In his weekend press conference Buster had this to say," I really appreciate all of the support that my fans have shown to me over the past couple of days as I consider which direction I will go in the future. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will be able to announce my decision." Meanwhile as the current LCMS staff grows more frustrated with Buster's failure to make a decision, another source close to the Athletic Department stated that the staff may decide to go after Buster's brother to fill the vacancy left open by the retirement of Coach Richard Duvall who served on the staff last season but was not retained for the upcoming season. Reasons for Coach Duvall's departure were unavailable. Stay tuned for further developments.

Reports from Rockhouse Rd. are coming in like crazy! Richard J. Duval II was shocked and hurt today when he heard that the possible contract extension talks between him and the LCMS staff had been broken off. Duval was a 2 yr. assistant coach/bus driver with the mighty Running Raiders. When we contacted Richard he had this to say........"WHAT, I not a coach anymore, I tant believe it" Talks now to replace the highly motovational coach will continue today for LC. LCMS now seems to be spending more time/money trying to persuade former LCMS star O.D.B.(Little Jerry Brown) to take the job. Howie Spears is rumored to be in talks with Richard Duval II about a possible coaching position on his soon to be staff. More to come.

The LCMS Athletic Department released today their list of candidates to replace the departed Coach Duvall. The following is a list of those who will be contacted about the vacancy:

1. Josh "Buster" Keltner

2. Buster's Brother

3. Little Jerry

4. Billy Dabbs

5. Billy James

6. David James

7. Andy Lawson

8. Rambo

9. Frank Wills

10. Richie Anderson

Each of these will be contacted in the coming weeks by the administration for an interview. All interested applicants should send a resume with a cover letter to Howard E. Spears, Chairman of the Search Committee.

News today is that Billy James and Rambo have moved to the front in the LCMS hunt for replacing coach duavl. Howard Spears(chairman) said that Rambo brought a lot of talents with him, including his workout program(RAMBONICS). Spears stated that Rambo reminds him of his former player Keltner in his hard work and dedication to lifting weights. Being removed from the list after one day of talks was Little Jerry(ODB). Assistant coach Rodgers had this to say about Jerry. " Jerry is a great coach and could have brought alot to this program but last year when he helped I found myself confusing Little Jerry with a lot of the players.(note:It is rumored Little J played 2 min in the Perry Co. game until Coach Smith realized the mistake Coach Rodgers had made). Also Travis (T-Mac) McKissack has been brought in contract talks along with Chris Edgerton.

Former LCHS Championship Wrestler Chris "The Edge" Edgerton has emerged as a frontrunner for the coaching vacancy after explaining to the Selection Committee that he has ties to several Nashville area athletes. In his interview the Edge had this to say," After my graduation from LCHS, I spent several weeks in Nashville at a Technical Training Institute. Between classes, I would visit the local basketball courts to scout for talent. I will use my Nashville connections to upgrade the talent level at LCMS and restore it back to the greatness of yesteryear when legendary Coach Howard Spears won the state title back in 1994." Stay tuned for further developments.