Just Pitchers

Coach Mo

I disagree Ivy is signed and Ellen is committed dont u think they should easily be able to shut down a young 1A team (forrest is great not meaning any desrespect to them at all.) i just would think girls that are supposed to go to a top school should be able to shut them down its not like they are competing against teams that have most of their starters going to D1 schools.

I don't think that you can classify Forrest as a young team!!!

You seem to know alot about some players out of WTn but very little about HS softball in this state as a whole.

HS softball is some what different from football. There is much more parity between the divisions.

You would know this if you ever went to any of the larger HS tournaments in the state or surrounding states. A good 1A "softball school" can compete with a good 3A softball school, not usually the case in football.

High school softball pitchers are not unlike major league baseball pitchers, they don't win EVERY game! but they do their part to help their team be competitive in games against good competition,but do have off outings.

I dont know what the team records of each of the state champions & runners up at last years Spring Fling was but I would guess that thru regular season & tournaments played prior that there were no Unbeaten teams prior to the tournament.

My guess is that you think they should just be able to shut down any team they play is because you have a very limited exposure to all the good competitive teams in this state.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You seem to know alot about some players out of WTn but very little about HS softball in this state as a whole.

HS softball is some what different from football. There is much more parity between the divisions.

You would know this if you ever went to any of the larger HS tournaments in the state or surrounding states. A good 1A "softball school" can compete with a good 3A softball school, not usually the case in football.

High school softball pitchers are not unlike major league baseball pitchers, they don't win EVERY game! but they do their part to help their team be competitive in games against good competition,but do have off outings.

I dont know what the team records of each of the state champions & runners up at last years Spring Fling was but I would guess that thru regular season & tournaments played prior that there were no Unbeaten teams prior to the tournament.

My guess is that you think they should just be able to shut down any team they play is because you have a very limited exposure to all the good competitive teams in this state.

Regarding the Renfoes...anna renfroe doesnt even pitch for her travel teams laura ridell from usj (fr) is much better than anna and ellen is definately the best i really dont believe the renfroes will survive in knoxville when they cant even beat st. benedict most of those girls play for Germantown Gold (coach k's) who killed the Travel teams Ivy and Ellen played for. i just dont understand all the hype on the Renfroes they are great ball players but without Katie Henederson Trinity hasnt been able to compete as well as they did.

and what about brooke thomas (singed with union) from huntingdon she was all-state pitcher and Ivy and Ellen were not last year they were all -state infielders

Anna Renfroe didn't pitch a lot for her travel team because she didn't see any pitching time in the spring with her high school team being her two older sisters were the only ones in the rotation. You don't need three pitchers or someone will not get the pitching time they nedd to be great pitchers . You only get better when you pitch to batters. Anna went almost 9 months before she pitched to a batter in June. The last time she pitched to a batter before June was in late September where her middle school team won the Middle School Tournament. But by the way Lauren Ridell is a sweet girl and a good pitcher!

Ivy and Ellen's travel team NEVER played the Germantown Gold team last year. Ellen wasn't even on a Gold team. I do know Ellen's 16u team came in 4th in the ASA Nationals. There was over 100 amazing teams there. They were all good enough to win! Ivy's team didn't qualify but missed getting qualified in 3 tournaments by one game. THere were 4 pitchers on her team and she had a slight elbow injury mid-summer so Ivy didn't pitch much the month of July.

Brooke Thomas is a great pitcher but Trinity beat her twice last year. Just because Trinity beat her twice doesn't mean she's a bad pitcher just like when the Renfroes get beat doesn't mean their not going to succeed at Tennessee.

yes they played with southern force but they left to play with fury this fall im not sure why i just know when ivy signed fury had it on their page saying the they played this fall and were planning 09 with them. but my point was that trinity didnt lose to sba bc of lack of gold players. i just dont see how ivy is going to compete at a national level if those girls hit her the way they did and she gets hit quite a bit in summer ball. as long as she has a great defense she'll be fine i just dont see tennessee using her as a pitcher and winning.

Ivy didn't even pitch against SBA, Ellen did. This is a hoot!!!

How do you know Ivy got hit a lot in summer ball?? Her gold team didn't even play in a tournament close to Tennessee last year and she didn't even pitch a lot during July. I do know that in June at a few GOLD tournaments, Ivy had a couple of games where she struck out over 10 batters. These are games that are usually 5 innings or 6 at the most. Most Gold teams I've seen play are made up of great softball players who will be playing at the D1 level. You also pitch from 43 feet not 40 like high shcool.

huntingdon beat st. benedict and they have only one girl that plays at that level and im not doubting the renfroes playing ability but ivy doesnt have the composure to make it great fielders and batters but tennessee will have to have one heck of a catcher and sports psycologist bc ivy couldnt compose herself with out katie henderson to keep her composed she just doesnt have the confidence in herself for some reason and trinity girls are good kids i know many of them and have played with or against most of them.

Obviously you don't know what was going on in Ivy's life last year or you would have known why you might have seen some lack of composure. Ivy's grandmother had a brain tumor that was growing extremely fast. The doctors gave her 3-6 months to live. This news came to their family right in the middle of her high school softball season. Ivy is very close to her grandparents, especially her grandmother. Her grandmother has not missed many games up until then since her 8th grade year. I wonder if Ivy had that on her mind a long with other things that were happening (like a move and her miss her senior year with her great friends). There were many tears shed in that house last spring but because of God's grace and healing hand Ivy made it through!

Now, I'm happy to say and thank our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, that her grandmother is still here and has recently been told that the tumor has shrunk and her prognosis is great!!

Obviously you don't know what was going on in Ivy's life last year or you would have known why you might have seen some lack of composure. Ivy's grandmother had a brain tumor that was growing extremely fast. The doctors gave her 3-6 months to live. This news came to their family right in the middle of her high school softball season. Ivy is very close to her grandparents, especially her grandmother. Her grandmother has not missed many games up until then since her 8th grade year. I wonder if Ivy had that on her mind a long with other things that were happening (like a move and her miss her senior year with her great friends). There were many tears shed in that house last spring but because of God's grace and healing hand Ivy made it through!

Now, I'm happy to say and thank our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, that her grandmother is still here and has recently been told that the tumor has shrunk and her prognosis is great!!

AMEN!!!! AMEN!!!! AMEN!

Gaby was the only senior on Forrest's team last year, so they will have almost everyone returning from the State Championship team. I think Shelby (who is only a junior this year) had some off-season surgery, but she is suppose to be back and even stronger I've heard. Rachel Curtis who was her backup last year and starts at 3rd will also be back (also a junior). In addition, all-State shortstop, Heather James returns. Bre Elmore, one of the best hitters in the State will likely take over full time behind the plate this season. They have an incoming Freshman, Brooke Herron, who pitched for me in travel ball last summer who should be able to take some innings off of Stinnet during the season. (She'll be a terrific pitcher in the future!) I'd be shocked if they didn't blow through everyone they played this year at all levels! They'll be TOUGH!!

Huntingdon's Brooke Thomas, not only pitches, but hits very well. I feel she and Forest pitcher are the best all-around. She will miss her seniors who left but has some strong bats coming on....The young Rydell girl at USJ will be an ace. Not sure when they will move her up but she is fun to watch! Ellen Renfro is tops to me. I feel she has more composure than most. They have lost a lot in the past few years so it may hurt in state. Summer Cross should be a big help. JCS and USJ will be outta here next year and begin new play with DII schools. I am hoping that one of those schools can make it to the regions. Adamsville I have never seen play.

Huntingdon's Brooke Thomas, not only pitches, but hits very well. I feel she and Forest pitcher are the best all-around. She will miss her seniors who left but has some strong bats coming on....The young Rydell girl at USJ will be an ace. Not sure when they will move her up but she is fun to watch! Ellen Renfro is tops to me. I feel she has more composure than most. They have lost a lot in the past few years so it may hurt in state. Summer Cross should be a big help. JCS and USJ will be outta here next year and begin new play with DII schools. I am hoping that one of those schools can make it to the regions. Adamsville I have never seen play.

I think we are forgetting some good teams in single A like whitwell, East Robertson, Friendship... I agree with the posts that Ellen appears to be the more focused on the mound, at least when I have seem them play. There is not doubt that all of the Renfroes are excellect softball players. I also have a lot of respect for Shelby at Forrest. She is a classy player who outpitches players who may be more talented than her... I have a lot of respect for both programs, and I hope to face them again this year in the state!!

I think we are forgetting some good teams in single A like whitwell, East Robertson, Friendship... I agree with the posts that Ellen appears to be the more focused on the mound, at least when I have seem them play. There is not doubt that all of the Renfroes are excellect softball players. I also have a lot of respect for Shelby at Forrest. She is a classy player who outpitches players who may be more talented than her... I have a lot of respect for both programs, and I hope to face them again this year in the state!!

Cornersville will be tough again also.

Must be more West Tn folks on here. Friednshio and Forest girls look great. I have not seen the others. The Forest and Friednship programs are tough and impress me. Their coaching and the players. Just don't know them by name.