Rebel Flag

MaryvilleRebels

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by caligula:

Good post boorelly. The one about X that is, lol. But I like the Black and Red flag thing but this discussion is annoying now.

Cali, good post too. great support. I am with you on that. Take it easy on Alcoa they're young. We are not going back to North Carolina (we will get them again one day though) but we have a tough one sept. 6 vs. Fulton. Watch out for Central. We scrimmaged them 3 times and they were very competitive. See you guys in Murfreesboro. Go ahead and "Book It In The Boro"!

Guest caligula
Posted by boorelly:
Posted by caligula:

Good post boorelly. The one about X that is, lol. But I like the Black and Red flag thing but this discussion is annoying now.

Cali, good post too. great support. I am with you on that. Take it easy on Alcoa they're young. We are not going back to North Carolina (we will get them again one day though) but we have a tough one sept. 6 vs. Fulton. Watch out for Central. We scrimmaged them 3 times and they were very competitive. See you guys in Murfreesboro. Go ahead and "Book It In The Boro"!

Playing Independence took a lot of guts. Central is a tought bunch. They have one of this areas top defenses. Fulton...how is that bunch this year. Hope to see both teams in the boro.

I am an 1991 Graduate of Todd County Central in Kentucky, which is just across the border from Clarksville, and our nickname was and is the Rebels. I proudly wore the Rebel logo as a member of the school's basketball and track teams and have the "Stars and Bars" as part of a "Rebel" logo on my class ring (now in storage, by the way), yearbook, diploma, class mug, and just about everything else.

Four years later my sister was a cheerleader and my father in the administration of the school system when the Rebel flag was the center of a shooting where black youth shot and killed a young white man who displayed the flag in the back of his truck. National media descended on the school and placed a critical eye on our small little corner of the world. It is generally accepted that there were racial motivations on both sides of this event.

For me the Stars and Bars was about my school pride. Now a decade later and as a journalist I realize there is much more symbolism to that piece of cloth. I am proud of my school and where I am from, and I am also proud that since then the Flag references have quietly and gradually been removed from the school and its insignia (a renovation about 3 years ago helped a lot of this to happen without a community uproar).

I understand why Maryville fans want to keep the flag as part of their tradition, but I also know that, like a 10-pound fruitcake given to you for Christmas EVERY year by a Great Aunt, some traditions are better left behind to make way for new traditions. Our fans either wave pom-poms or just applaud. What Maryville fans do is up to them.

Brant Douglas

TN Radio Network

Posted by boorelly:

First of all FBwiz hit it on the nose. Who cares? But I tell you who would care. Bring it to a Austin East game and wave them around. Bring them to a Memphis Melrose game and wave them around. Bring them to a Chattanooga Howard game and wave them around. I promise troubel will brew. What if Greeneville Devils start bringing Satanistic signs to the game. ( a little extreme but not to African Americans when compared to Rebel flags)What if students at Austin East start bringing in the Black Power solid fist to them games. I too will feel like tackle, a little ashamed and embarrassed if the fans from Scott county was coming down. Or what if a few of our muslim players started waving their Egyptian or Muslim flags. At AE we do have several middle eastern players, that because of it being a minority based school are allowed to keep their culture. What about our Syrian born kicker, who father was a "REBEL" in Syria. Or our Cuban coach. Wasn't Fidel Castro a "REBEL". During the time of supposedly USA post 9/11 pride wouldn't "REBELS" be looked upon negatively. Are not "REBEL" ones who rebel against the country or powers at be. PANFAN I am good friends with Gunter Brewer, coach Brewer's son (by the way, is a great inner city recruiter, Got Randy Moss back at Marshall) he told me that many times they had problems getting top recruits from other states because of the flag and the issues it brings. He said that in the state of Mississippi, the players are in grown with the idea of the flag. Therefore it is easier for them to accept. Caliqula great post. I'm pretty sure that star RB doens't care for it either. Also the former QB, who was black, told a friend of mine that he hated it to. It was hard for him to face friends (black). But I think it should be a decision the kids decide.

>boorelly, if austin east is the roadrunners then why would their fans bring or wave black power fists to the games. maryville's nickname is the rebels so they wave a rebel flag. another comment you made was about muslims or egyptians waving their flags around. why would they wave their flag around since their schools nickname is the roadrunners. i think you went a little far with this one. if i saw a fan at a high school game waving the rebel flag and neither school's nickname was the rebels, then i would assume they are racist rednecks. at maryville i don't think this is the case. they wave the flag to show support for their school and team.

[Edited by redflag1 on 8-29-02 4:07P]

[Edited by redflag1 on 8-29-02 4:08P]

I agree with anyone that the meaning of that flag is differnet for different people. Black people see it as a sign of opression, which is what i think of as well. Its a sign of the past in the south and shouldnt be forgotten but i think it is out of place is todays powder puff society.

I'm not originally from TN, I'm from Hoosier country.

So I just want to ask the question to those who say it doesn't have anything to do with race or oppression.

Are you proud to be a Southerner, or a Tennessean?

Because I see three times as many Rebel flags across this state than TN flags. I don't see TN flags flying in the back of vehicles, I see the "Pride of the SOUTH" flying.

I guess the better question, coming from a "Yankee", is "What exactly is Southern Pride all about?"

I'm proud to be a Hoosier, a graduate of Gallatin High, a Tennessean, and an American. But I don't have enough room on my car to fly all of those flags. So why is this one the one so widely flown?

I'm just looking for a little clarity.

This post was not about the flag being flown in general, but being flown AT Maryville football games. We show school spirit, not southern spirit. People don't fly the Tennessee flag, no one marched into battle under the Tennessee flag! I'm from Kentucky, Northern state, and I still wave the flag! I'm not at all racist against anyone, I might not like someone, but I tolerate them and I don't threaten to kill anyone because of their race. Also the flag is not really a threat, the person waving it is a threat, its like a gun, guns don't kill people, people kill people. The C-flag doesn't kill people, racist morons kill people!

As a native Bluegrass boy, collegiately educated at the University of Indianapolis (GO GREYHOUNDS) and now living in Nashville I've seen both sides of Southern Pride.

To me it seems to be trying to hold on to a way of life when times were slower, internet chat boards were the stuff of science fiction writers, families ate Sunday dinner together then sipped lemonade on the porch, etc. etc. Displaying the Rebel flag on a bumper sticker or in the back of a pickup truck is a way some people try to represent they want it that way.

Of course in some cases "That Way" would also mean "Seperate but Equal" facilities and clearly defined sections of towns based on skin color or ethnicity.

I still say "sir" and "ma'am" to anyone more than 5 years older than me. I respect my parents, and I think Bar-B-Q pork is the food of the heavens. However I think that when you use a phrase such as "Southern Pride" to justify hatred toward a group or groups of others whose race is different than yours than you are perpetuating hatred.

Posted by just1np:

I'm not originally from TN, I'm from Hoosier country.

So I just want to ask the question to those who say it doesn't have anything to do with race or oppression.

Are you proud to be a Southerner, or a Tennessean?

Because I see three times as many Rebel flags across this state than TN flags. I don't see TN flags flying in the back of vehicles, I see the "Pride of the SOUTH" flying.

I guess the better question, coming from a "Yankee", is "What exactly is Southern Pride all about?"

I'm proud to be a Hoosier, a graduate of Gallatin High, a Tennessean, and an American. But I don't have enough room on my car to fly all of those flags. So why is this one the one so widely flown?

I'm just looking for a little clarity.

I think one thing about flying the "Confederate Flag" instead of the Tennessee State Flag is because it is hard or at least it was for me to find a TN State Flag!

I proud my self of being a Tennessean 1st, Southerner 2nd, and American 3rd!

I found it strange and sad:) during HS to hear fellow students say I can't wait to get out of this town and couldn't think of living any where else but my town and in the Great State of Tennessee! :)